purchasing interstare vehicles

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:03
ThreadID: 53281 Views:1650 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
i have just put a deposit on a 4.2 patrol in Sydney and i am in Melbourne. i still worry that the vehicle could have been stolen as the only check i can do for the vin no. is with the nsw rta. apparently the privacy law does not allow the check to be done in another state untill it is taken to be registered.
has anybody had an experience with bad cars in nsw or dose anybody know other ways to check the car.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:27
keith, I purchased a Patrol in NSW and brought it back to Vic just before christmas, there was a web site from the RTA with vehicle details and owners, plus if any security on the vehicle. That may help. Also, if it is still registered, keep it that way until you change the rego over in Vic, much much cheaper. All you need do is get a current Vic RWC and book in for a plate change, no inspection needed, if not registered, you will need a RWC, full inspection and also a permit from NSW RTA, $337 a day.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 280661

Follow Up By: keith & louise - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:13

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:13
Hi john
thanks for the info on keeping the rego. i had thought of canceling it but now will keep it from your information. i have done the checks but having not brought a vehicle second hand from another state it is reassuring to have information from others
FollowupID: 544959

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:42
Try this REVS http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/http://
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280668

Sponsored Links