Nursing a sore face and crook ribs tonight.

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:18
ThreadID: 53406 Views:3305 Replies:14 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
Went down to the local milk bar and came across this young fella and his mate abusing the owner. The language got a bit ripe, and because there where women and children in the shop I asked him to tone it down and get a good nights sleep.

To cut a long story short it didn't finish up well, other than to say there are people out there who don't respond to reason. As far as I could tell this was all about a minor over charge that couldn't be fixed because EPOS was down.

Thanks to the fella that helped me out.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:27

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:27
Good on you for helping out where help is needed, too many people these days are prepared to stand by and let events like these go on.

Its a shame that, for doing what you (and is) considered reasonable, you've had to cop what you have. An ice cold beer will help with the swelling, apply it to the swollen and tender bits between mouthfuls. I find it take atleast 4 until swelling and analgesic effects take place ;)

Mike
AnswerID: 281254

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:31

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:31
Hi Kim

The bruises and ribs will heal, but the knowledge and pride you have that you helped another in need will stay with you forever.

I hope you or someone like you is around should i ever be threatened.

Good on you.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281255

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:35

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:35
Are the other blokes just as sore as you or worse??
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281256

Follow Up By: CLC50 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:50

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:50
Hi All
Great to see you have the GUTS to do something about these so call Men .Our Country is going down the Tube.
I feel sorry for my Grandchildren,Gone are the days where men never hit women,& if you had a fight with some one who ever won you or he would offer you hand & it was over,now their mates will kick the Shhiiiii out of you.THESE ARE NOT MEN

I am 71 years old & still don't take a backward step All through I wish I had on a few times LOL
FollowupID: 545613

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:17

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:17
look what having "GUTS" did for tht bloke in Melbourne recently who got shot dead. or the bloke in WA on the beach.

its different to the old days, people couldnt give a flying carrot about another person living or dying... they would kill you as soon as look at you and not even flinch. Agree 200% they are not men.

I agree, the old days, 1 on 1 fights, over and done with go home, now its 20 on 1 to be fair apparently.

Sadly its coming to the point where people have to think before stepping in.
FollowupID: 545859

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:54

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:54
What are you blokes talking about. Seems some people have a very short memory of what the "good" old days wre like. There has always been violence where gangs of youths pick on a single person. This is not a 21st century phenomenon.

Australia was colonised by the British because of excessive violence and crime so please don't sanitise history like it is some fairy tale where there's mutual respect.

Good and bad people have always been around.
Congratilations Kim for doing your bit. Hopefully someone will be there for you if youneed simillar support.

R.
FollowupID: 545863

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:46

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:46
There are users of oxygen on this earth that don't deserve that right.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281259

Reply By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:00

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:00
Good on you!!!, But unfortunateley if the law gets involved it can all go to bleep !.

What this country needs is blokes like you in every milkbar in every state !!!, plus on every corner of every street , plus,plus plus plus, Keep up the good work.!!

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 281262

Reply By: Member - Brad S (SA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:30

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:30
"Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing."

Thank you for stepping up to the plate.

AnswerID: 281268

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:32

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:32
Good onya Kim. Hope things are not too bad. Hope you got the chance to put a few good ones on the scumbags. All your mates here are proud of you as I am sure the cafe owner is.
I am trying not to imagine that these scumbags were recently welcomed into our wonderful country, or that they have been here for ever. Please tell me I am wrong.
AnswerID: 281270

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:44

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:44
Fred

It does'nt matter. One of those things.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 545635

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:49

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:49
Cheers mate.....Keep smiling :-))
FollowupID: 545636

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:40

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:40
Id serve you anyday!!

Where were you all those days at work where I needed someone to step in!!

Laura

ps...hope your not too hurt!! although its worth it...
AnswerID: 281272

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:40

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:40
Kim

I seem to recall you posting something of a similar incident a while back.

I would have thought, that as a Senior Citizen, you would have learned by now to say well clear of dangerous situations.

The Old World values do not apply any more and many of the younger generation are living with substance abuse. They don't give a monkeys for their seniors and will willingly beat them up if the opportunity arose.

When you get to 60 and beyond you are not as strong as you were a while ago, not as fast as you think you are nor as nimble as you might like to imagine.

Stay out of it if you value your face and ribcage.

Last Saturday whilst refuelling at Horsham and looking at the pump spinning its way to many dollars a young bloke walked behind the pump and about 20 metres from me. He looked around and yelled at me 'What yer looking at?' I ignored this. He yelled at me again and I looked away as I was coming to my favoured fuel total. He then muttered some profanity, tied his dog to the front of the servo and went inside. When he came out again he said nothing. Sounded like he was either bleep on or on drugs.

The world has gone mad......lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 281281

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:42

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:42
The bleep translates to p i s s e d

Even ExplorOz is going beyond the pale......lol
FollowupID: 545642

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:01
Willem, I know where ya com'in from mate, but blokes like CLC50, at 71, Kim, me at 60, and I am sure many others, have trouble turning away from these pr...s. I spent many years in a suit of blue, and will never let myself or any innocent bystander be intimidated by such scumbags, who get it off by inflicting "fear" as they perceive it, whether chemically induced or otherwise.
We do not know the circumstances that led to Kim's situation, but we are all familiar with the picture being portrayed here .
O.K. bring on the do gooders....
FollowupID: 545646

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:09
Kim, saw the heading and thought he's been in a blue again ! When are you going to start being a lover instead of a fighter LOL

I hope the day never comes when I need to step in again. I like to think I'm older and wiser now. The truth is they'd breathe on me and be up for manslaughter :)))
FollowupID: 545649

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:12

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:12
Fred........to get involved physically at your age you need a convincer in your pocket otherwise you will get your head kicked in.
FollowupID: 545651

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:18

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:18
"assault with a deadly weapon"?
FollowupID: 545653

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:40

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:40
Why is there no respect anymore ???

Thats whats the whole issue boils down to! Respect.to others.

Axle.
FollowupID: 545655

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:51

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:51
Axle, right on the money.
But it's up to us to teach our kids the meaning of respect, and I don't mean give em a hiding, and to behave in a manner so that they can learn to respect the most important people in the world to them, us.
FollowupID: 545658

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:52

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:52
Footy

Yes. If you wanted to become involved. Thats what I am saying.

Axle

Its a dog eat dog world as portrayed by tv, media and stupid computer games. The latter teaches ever so sublimally not to have respect for anything. Poor education and substance abuse coming down through the generations add to the social decline in some areas of our society.

Cheers
FollowupID: 545659

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:12

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:12
Willem, I could not agree more. Parental guidance is one thing but you cannot protect the youth from the mode of the media. Anything on tv that aims to protect people is repelled as too harsh but the bleep e that gets accepted as normal is also found on special in KMart.

i try, a concerned parent/
FollowupID: 545660

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:26

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:26
Willem

As usual you talk a lot of sense. Particularly about values.

I did a dum thing, but in all that, a young fella helped me out.

Yes, I do get into trouble from time to time but it's not for the wrong reasons.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 545661

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:48

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:48
Respect and accountability went out the window when corporal punishment was abolished from the Court System and any sort of physical discipline disallowed by teachers and parents.

Citizens are now reaping the "rewards" of that way of thinking.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 545695

Follow Up By: nats - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:11

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:11
Sand Man,

"Respect and accountability went out the window when corporal punishment was abolished from the Court System and any sort of physical discipline disallowed by teachers and parents."

That's the ticket! Bring back the lash! Some of those better known Islam Sharia punishments would appeal?

nats.
FollowupID: 545699

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 00:52

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 00:52
No Nats,

It would appear you may be one of the "new breed" who opposes any form of physical punishment. Well mate, look where it has got us. What is your solution then?.......education?......yeah right.

There was nothing wrong with the Principal or Senior Master giving out a serve or two with the cane.

I received one or two, wasn't maimed by the act and didn't experience any mental trauma as a result.

I had more respect for the teacher's I couldn't "bluff" and it did make one think whether "playing up" was worth the physical punishment.

I also worked out pretty quickly, how far I could push my dad, before I got a clip behind the ears.

The fact was, this system worked better than any other that has been tried.

Now, kids have got rights! They can sue their parents at will, can leave home and be payed by us taxpayers to live somewhere where they are unsupervised. Parents have no control over their kids anymore.......a great system.....NOT!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 545814

Follow Up By: nats - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:48

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:48
Sandman,
Two issues. One - you refer to the lack of physical punishment in the court system. What do you refer to - flogging, breaking rocks? Secondly, I am astounded that you really believe that allowing principals and senior masters to cane students would somehow create a society where there is reliable mutual respect. That is a big jump and worryingly simplistic. The parlous state of our society has a great deal to do with the loss of traditional values not traditional punishments. I spent much of my working life as a teacher and, in the later years as a high school principal, and the very difficult students I dealt with were often bashed by their parents, unsupervised because those charged with raising them were alcoholics or addicted to other drugs, or the students were indulged and spoilt. Poverty is a huge issue as is the influence of advertising and marketing. Most students were, however, just ordinary people who did the best they could, struggling to form an identity in a world that they often saw as uncaring and scary. Caning the difficult ones would have resulted in more damage to school property etc. Some parents do not have any control of their children but this is not because they do not use corporal punishment. Think about those wretched families you see in the supermarket who have misbehaving children - do they not invariably hit their kids as they abuse them? It is very disappointing and frustrating to see views such as yours put forward as some kind of solution. The clock cannot be turned back no matter how much we might want to. Many parents work two jobs to pay mortgages etc. and are not able to put the time in with their kids. Parents who ran small businesses were often exhausted and battling to understand their children.

nats.
FollowupID: 545826

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:34

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:34
Well said nats.

There have been some very complex social changes occur in Western societies over the past 50 years which are far more likely to have contributed to this issue than the absence of corporal punishment: the misconception by many that money/possessions equates to happiness is probably chief amongst them.

Additionally, I always been confused by the logic which says "violence is bad and should not be used as a means to an end - and in order to teach you that we're going to beat you up a bit"?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 545843

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:35

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:35
Sandman, Nats, Mike

I went from a State School to a Private Boarding School in the 1950's

Corporal punishment was rife in those days. I was a naughty kid who always got mixed up with delinquent mates and almost every week I was up before the House Master or Head Master for a flogging. My arse became so hard after a while that it was a game to us to see who couild withstand the most floggings. After one overdose of the cane I was sent to the school clinic and after that the school doctor warned the teachers off from this practise for a while. However it continued.

As a 'newboy' i had to undergo a year of initiation by my peers. This included a kick up the backside or fist to the shoulder but not in the face. I couldn't understand the meaning of this and when we became seniors our group stopped this practise all together. But is flared up again and in the early '80's a student died as a result of initiation and it ceased forthwith then, forever.

In my Matric year at school a group of us were called to the Headmasters office for some misdemeanor and the Head Master was standing behind his desk flexing the cane. My mate John piped up to tell the Head Master that if he insisted on flogging grown men(big boys) then he would like to remind the Head Master that we were on the 2nd floor of the building and that injuries sustained from a fall could be severe. We were never called back to the office again.

All the floggings I received did not do me any harm( I think) but it was a pointless exercise and I am pleased that later generations have found the courage to dispense with it.

Although we sometimes feel outraged at what others get away with, words and education are of more benefit than physical violence.

Cheers
FollowupID: 545853

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:06

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:06
Willem, an excellent example of the "he with the biggest stick wins" philosophy.
Sadly when physical punishment was taken away from parents and teachers, there was very little put in place to replace it.
As a society we didn't ask "what now?", we were too busy trying to make a living.

I was caned once (got the six for laying a kid twice my size out..he told me he was going to kill me and I believed him).
The only thing I learned from that experience was that if you were going to retaliate, do it where you can't get caught and make sure there are no witnesses.
FollowupID: 545856

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:12

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:12
As for the hypocracy of violence to teach peace. It's the same hypocracy that schools and society currently parctice in reverse.
"Johnny, you must never ever thump, gouge, bully and trip anyone; it's very very wrong."

(But if you do it really well on the football field, we'll make you a multi million dollar "star".)
FollowupID: 545858

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:33

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:33
G'day Kim,

it's a tough one. On one hand you want to stand up for what is right and defend those who cannot defend themselves. On the other hand, the youth are not what they used to be and as Willem rightly says, substance abuse does play its part.

To enter into a potential "altercation" can result in a life change. This may end up with you winning and the loser successfully taking it to court and winning....you lose your house or the like. Or, you end up in jail or just despondent with society. You could also end up a paraplegic or worse.

But then, you stepped in and defended, and you are a worthwhile member of society, something I value. You cop damage and then start the mental and physical repair.

My martial arts training teaches me how to recognise the potential and then avoid conflict firs,t but then if necessary, enter and be prepared to destroy, and have no problem doing that, because that is what you may be up against.

Yep, a tough one. Glad to know you came off with just a few sore bits. You'll be right mate, good on you for standing up for what is right.

kind regards,

Jeremy.
AnswerID: 281289

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:09

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:09
Kim,

If it was just a bit of language etc then you are a well intentioned GOOSE. Why take such a huge risk at your age? You're lucky that someone helped you this time. Next time you probably won't be so lucky. Save the heroics for when they're really needed.

I'll wait now for all the keyboard super heroes to sound off about having to make a stand etc.

AnswerID: 281292

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 02:22

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 02:22
Grumps,
I have to agree with you.

If Kim has done what he says he has done then good on him (Why take such a huge risk at your age?).

But to post it on a 4WD forum??? I can't see the sense in that.. unless (gees I hope not)

Regards

Richard
FollowupID: 545667

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:28

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:28
There are many topics posted on this forum that have little resemblence to 4wd'ing, and in most cases are the more popular ones.
Kim being an active member who contributes regularly to this forum, obvioulsy wanted to share his experience with us, and got a great response.
IMHO Good onya Kim
FollowupID: 545686

Follow Up By: madfisher - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:43

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:43
I think most of the regulars on this site see trhe otrher regulars as mates, and feel like sharing. I felt the same when my 12 tear old hurt himself. Hope you are feeling better soon Kim
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 545719

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:21

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:21
You spoke up...excellent.

AnswerID: 281295

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:56

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:56
Good on you Kim!!!
One question though? Did you get your milk for free!!!!!!!

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 281315

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:37

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:37
Look out it's the "Milky Bar Kid (well kid at heart)" LOL

Keep up the good work Kim

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 545693

Follow Up By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:40

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:40
LMAOROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kev that was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 545694

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:26

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:26
I'm giving 64 a big nudge and have to admit that i would walk away (unless i had backup) because some of these young buggers are likely to pull a knife on you now a days.

Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281331

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:47

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:47
Any-one notice how the youngsters hunt in packs these days. Not game to have a go solo.
FollowupID: 545778

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 20:13

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 20:13
Baz

Interesting you say that.

I was out driving this morning and a similar subject came up on 3AW. A fella rang in and said he'd taken his family on a holiday to Brisbane.

He and his family went to a ATM and where surrounded by a bunch of young fellas with a knife and pieces of wood.

Apparently he took the knife away, and proceeded to give the chaps a sound thrashing.

The end result of this was he spent two days in a Brisbane lock up, went to court and finished up with a three year bond and a criminal record.....all of this for protecting his family.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 545779

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:23

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:23
It may have been on the radio, but thats manure. theres no way on earth you would get nailed for that.
FollowupID: 545861

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:09

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:09
Must admit i thought it a bit funny! What ever happened to the right of protecting yourself, or has the LAW changed and you aren't allowed to.

Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 545866

Sponsored Links