Outback Queensland

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:37
ThreadID: 53417 Views:1892 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to start a trip (15th. Feb.) from Penrith, via Bourke, Cunnamulla, Eulo to Thargomindah, and Noccundra, then up via Windorah and Longreach to Normanton and Karumba.

The rig is a 70 series Landcruiser Cab Chassis Workmate, towing a 3.5 tonne 5th. wheeler. The trip will be on sealed roads except part of the road from Windorah north. We plan to take side trips to, among other places, Innamincka and the Dig Tree and to Burketown, leaving the 5th. wheeler on campsites

As I live in the UK for 9 months of the year my questions are.
What would be the likely state of the weather and road conditions at 25th. February on the Adventure Way and Bulloo Dev. Road (I note the Bulloo River is flooded at the moment and caution is suggested at Cooper creek)

The same question with regard to the roads north of Noccundra when we plan to arrive at Normanton at the beginning of March. (I note the Landsborough Hwy. is closed and problems north of Donors Hill and the Karumba and Croydon roads
Finally as I will need to leave the 5th. wheeler at Noccundra and Normanton whilst we make the side trips mentioned above.

Would it be safe to leave the 5th. wheeler unattended at these sites. In other words are they supervised sites ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:03

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:03
Mel, the weather will be hot. It's not the time of year people chose to be there on recreation.
AnswerID: 281326

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:08

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:08
As John says, it will be hot. Rain might slow you down if you're unlucky, especially on the unsealed sections.
However, it's a great trip. Say G'day to the steaks at the Windorah Pub for me :))
Drive safely and have fun, I'm sure you will.
AnswerID: 281328

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:54

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:54
Mel,

As Footy & John said, it will be hot. I would suggest it could be very, very hot! And as you get to Normanton, it will quite humid.

By then the country should/will be very green, with waterholes full, birds singing, and don't forget the flies. Bring good repellant.

Road north of Windorah, is now 2 lane bitumen to Jundah, then reverts back to the old single lane onto Longreach.

Check road conditions at every town, and bring your camera, we're hoping it'll be a picture by then.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281352

Reply By: pf11 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:34

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:34
Hey Mel,
Apart from the heat there will be flys, flys and more flys. I was up that way (Innamincka-Dig tree) around October 2005 and the most memorable part of the trip were the bloody flys. But you will no doubt have a fantastic trip as that part of the country is simply unique and outstanding. I envy you immensely.

Travel safe and have a blast.
Cheers: Phil
AnswerID: 281362

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:52

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:52
One Fly
Two Flies
FollowupID: 545723

Reply By: Hughd - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:37

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:37
Just another comment. Many of the roads in that part of Queensland are single lane bitumen. Be aware that when a road train approaches, he stays on the bitumen and you get off onto the gravel at the side. Nothing unreasonable in this - its just the way it is.
AnswerID: 281363

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:57

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:57
Hmmmm You are keen

Going to be plurry hot and uncomfortable outside of the airconditioned cabin of your vehicle

Normanton/Karumba may be under water as January/February is the height of the wet season(monsoon). All beautiful blacksoil plains up that way. Venture off the bitumen and your day may become a nightmare.

Anyway. Enjoy the heat. I will stay indoors in the shade until the end of March

Cheers
AnswerID: 281372

Reply By: Mel - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 20:01

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 20:01
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to the trip. Yes I realise it will be hot, although I was in Longreach a couple of years ago and it wasn't, but it rained a lot and the flies were "good".

We can always relax on a campsite until the water subsides and maybe not "hit" Normanton until mid March.

Know what you mean about the single bitumen Hugh. Drove the Winton to Hughenden road a couple of years ago and there was a road train stuck in the mud off the road - wonder if it's still there. We were lucky we didn't meet one as there's nowhere to go on that road.

I would appreciate replies with regard to the sites at Noccundra and Normanton if anyone has any experience of them.

Thanks again,

Mel

AnswerID: 281447

Sponsored Links