not 1 but 2 EO stickers spotted in Macalister Gorge

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 17:59
ThreadID: 53446 Views:1835 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
First I hear some chatter on uhf 14, then I bother listening in and hear a familiar name or 2. I make contact with the voices and establish that my suspicions were true that members JohnR (&marg) and Twinkles are taking the hard way down Burgoyne Gap Track into Macalister Gorge.
A while later the vehicles with 2 freinds as well come into view. Despite excellent instructions to the chicken track water crossing all chose the rooster crossing before stopping for lunch with us on the opposite side of the river.
After lunch and some sharing of tall stories of our entrance to the area we set off for a tour of the area.
There was a nice mix of steep, rocky both with large and small rocks.
Although the area had been scarred by fire life was returning with 000's of grass trees flowering and eucalypts cloaked in lush green foliage up their trunks. Reptiles, large and small were also returning to the area.

Another reason for scouting the track we did was to assess whether there might be a more friendly way out now that we had our trailer in to the gorge. This proved to be not the case up the track we went.
It was with a sense of trepidation we set off this morning back up Burgoyne Gap Track, with it's 2 hairpin bends and downed trees. Fortunately with some careful driving, track gardening and guidance from swmbo we made it out with minimal fuss. even made it to Walhalla in time for an early lunch.
see ya later,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:14

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:14
Sounds like a great time Nick, making me thorsty for some adventure and to try out theses STT's
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281421

Reply By: Twinkles - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:58

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:58
Doesn't take you long to post does it Nick? Fancy bagging me about not being able to follow your instructions! I bet you were really planning for me to take the rooster crossing anyway so you could see how deep it was.
After we split up, the track was pretty easy. Steep down to Serpentine Creek with lots of hair pin bends. We got past the telstra tower on Cobb Spur quite a way before we had to turn back. Enormous tree across track. That really made our day a long one, especially after Nigel staked a tire. Marg and I had a nice time eating crackers in the car while waiting. Wasn't much point in going back to where the guys were changing the wheel, we couldn't help. I'm sure they didn't need our female advice either. They had to use a variety of jacks, including an air bag thingy, cos it was in a tricky spot.
Glad you got out ok. I hope Simone wasn't saying "bl00dy Jenny' on the way out. I really didn't remember that track being tricky when I told you to go there. After the other side of Burgoyne track nothing would seem tricky! I really want to do it in reverse some time. No one wanted to go back the next day to do it. We were all pretty tired. We had been out more than 12 hours by the time we got back to camp and only done about 140 kms. The only stop was with you for lunch. The young boys with Nigel, 2 were his sons, were really great. No complaining, in fact they loved it. Hope to catch up again sometime again.
AnswerID: 281446

Sponsored Links