Darwin/Kakadu in July - how busy are the camps?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:04
ThreadID: 53480 Views:2680 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading to Darwin/Kakadu etc in July for a couple of weeks and are planning to camp in national parks. Do we have to book at that time of year. We will be completely self sufficient in our pop-top Troopy with toilets desirable but not essential.

What about the camp grounds and motels as well as we tend to stay in a motel or camp ground every so often so we have a bit more comfort (and hot showers).

Stevesub
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ian - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:56

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:56
We were there same time 2007.
Kakadu was no problem at all, and excellent.
Litchfield was hopeless for tents, but will be fine for you. Gets busy late in the day.
Darwin books out a long way ahead of time.
have fun
Ian
AnswerID: 281605

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:55

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:55
Litchfield has very limited space. Get to your campsite early in the day and you will prob be ok.
FollowupID: 545943

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:09

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:09
Steve,

Don't know about other campsites, but at Cooinda, it's "First in, Best dressed" The earlier you are there, the better site you can get.

They don't take bookings.

Stopped at a couple of caravan parks in Darwin, and it was possible to get cabins, but at short notice, only for one or two nights.

There is lots of choice, but just depends how much time you spend finding a site/cabin, I suppose.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281656

Reply By: Member - Ben E (NT) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:28

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:28
Gday Steve,
As mentioned it can get bloody busy and not only at Litchfield, but Kakadu and Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge/Edith Falls) as well.
As you have the Troopy you shouldn't have too much trouble with sites but sharing is probably not going to be optional in some of the more popular sites (ie. Florence Falls - Litchfield). Probably best to contact the NP&W mob re. whether you need to book.
Most good camping stores will probably have a booklet called 'Camping in the Top-End' (or something like that!) and it outlines both NP sites as well as some of the private ones.
As for Caravan Parks, none of the ones in Darwin are particularly central to Darwin but have heard some good reports of the Lee Point C.P.. There are a number of places and Wayside Inns on the way to Kakadu from Darwin which should also be able to accomodate you (Sth.Alligator/Mary River/Bark Hut). Hope you have a great time.
Benno
AnswerID: 281667

Reply By: ozwasp - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:39

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:39
Hi

I hated Cooinda in July - there were a milliion people around and heaps of mossies.

If you've got a 4WD then go and camp at the Jim Jim falls campsite- the road out is an excellent unsealed road anyway. The crowd detours around there, so it's relatively peaceful although there aren't too many facilities out there, but it has the basics. Also it means you've got a good chance to visit first thing in the morning before people coming from other areas.

Florence falls is a nice place to stay and visit first thing in the morning for the same reasons - doesn't have the space as Wangi does.

Edith falls just north of Katherine is another great spot and one of the better falls given you can drive all the way to it.

Good luck, Will.
AnswerID: 281679

Sponsored Links