Kimberley & Helicopter flights - costs ?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:28
ThreadID: 5361 Views:2282 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to go for a flight around the Mitchell Plateau and also the Bungle Bungles does anyone know the prices. Looking at walking into Mitchell falls and perhaps flying back to the camping area - cost ? May do extended flights but this depends on price. Do they also have child prices ?Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Howard- Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 20:02

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 20:02
Beddo ,
cannot help re this years prices but last july (2002) cost $ 120 for 2 of us ie $ 60 each.My self and 15 y.o son.
this was the basic ride back from the falls to camping ground approx 10 minutes.
think it gets down to about $40 each for 4 people.
IMHO best way to view the falls.
Enjoy the trip
regards
Howard
AnswerID: 22141

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:34

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:34
depends on how many people are in the chopper at the time and length of flight as there are several available. If there is a vacant seat(s) then you must divide the cost between all other occupants.
Did Mitchell last year and it was $180 from memory for the one hour flight.
Did Bungles in 2001 and that was $140 for 20 minute flight from memory.

Both were well worth it but I thought drive into Bungles etc was a greater experience. Easy to say after having done both I suppose.

Hope that helps
AnswerID: 22172

Reply By: Member - Alan - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 15:15

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 15:15
In addition to comments already made - three weeks ago prices were-

Mitchell Falls- Taxi ride back to carpark from falls $60 /seat. We (4 of us) paid $100 each and had a 1/2 hour flight over the falls/Surveyors pool / and estuary of Mitchell river and back to carpark - well worth it. There are other options available.

Bungle Bungles - did not do a chopper flight but did a 2hr plane flight from Kunanarra over Ord Dam / Bungles / Argyle Diamond Mine etc it was worth the money ($215) ,the pilot gives you a running commentry along the way and gets down fairly low over the Bungles . Not recommended if you suffer from motion sickness , very bumpy in the middle of the day but it gives you both perspectives if you also drive in as we did. From memory I think you can catch a chopper from Turkey Creek for about $190 and a 1/2 hr flight from the Bungles is $150- Don't quote me.

Cannot comment on availability of child prices, I'm sure its a bum on seat business and you must pay for the seat.

Regards

Alan
AnswerID: 22213

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 17:06

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 17:06
Thanks everyone for the replies - costs a bit but if you go all the way there you have to do it. I know the heli pilot for True North and he says to go for it - he flies down around Sydney during the fire season doing water bombing.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 14598

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:50

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:50
Jeff,
It's been a while since I did a copter flight over the Bungles, but we took one from the airstrip at the Bungles. This meant that we were over the Bungles in a matter of minutes; ie, no wasted time flying out of Turkey Creek.
Cost us about $125 each for 1/2 hr, but that was about 7 or so years ago.
Reckon it's a bigger buzz than doing it in a fixed wing aircraft, and you get a lot closer, and no perspex to peer thru (from the sides, at least).
The early morning or late arvo flight gives the best lighting for photo shots.
rgds
Gerry
AnswerID: 22263

Reply By: Member - David- Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:50

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:50
Beddo,

Went last year in August for the one hour flight from Mitchell Falls. $600 from memory and got dropped off at the Falls and walked back. I'd do it again and recommend it. Can get 4 to share the cost (we did) so drops back to $150 each. Tip, arrange to do it first flight in the morning, there were a lot of Salties out off the coast to look at and the flight back up the river is great.
Can get fixed wing flights from Drysdale Station which would take you over more country for the same or less cost, but I dont think they would get down close to the Falls like a Helicopter.

The hard bit is sorting out your vehicle after the rough track in. We had only minor things like the compass on the dash disintegrated, UHF speaker came loose, and most things rearranged themselves. Leave your camper at King Edward River if you have one. We have a Hilux TD and from memory used 2nd or 3rd High, 4WD, with plenty of revs to get on top of the corrogations, slow down only for the blind corners and then plant it hard to plane on top again. Took us 2 hours with a stop to get firewood. Some people take 4 hours - murder mate. Map said 72ks from Kalumburu Rd, sign says 82ks, trip meter said 92ks, so not sure if we had 10 or 20 ks of wheelslip?? A Rodeo did both rear shocks, new Triton did all 4 shocks, OKA tour bus on track with front LH axle broken (completely off with stub in the dirt), second OKA the next day arrived at the camp with the back out of the rear diff housing, Hilux at Kalumburu waiting for a main rear spring that broke on the track. So beef up your rsuspension and hang on tight, and enjoy the smooth chopper flight.

Cheers
David
AnswerID: 22264

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 00:06

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 00:06
Thanks for the tips - will take spare shocks even though I have just done up the suspension - Cape York warranted that with the rear end sagging and I droppend into Weipa and fixed the rear coils with McEnroe tennis ball lift kit - my frinds knew where I travelled by following the odd tennis ball. LOL.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 14647

Reply By: johlau - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:47

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:47
Beddo,
Did a flight over Bungle Bugles,Ord river, Argyle Diamond Mine, & cattle stations,Lake Argyle, this time last year booked at tour office in Kunnanurra it was with Sling Air 2 hour flight in 6 seat Cessna w had 2pm flight, good time of day sun highlighted the stripes. Was worth EVERY cents & I Hate flying. Cost us $190.00 each (2 adults) don't know kid prices though. Go for it , you'll enjoy it, it's amazing.
Johlau
AnswerID: 23587

Sponsored Links