Powering up a Tambo camper trailer

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 15:50
ThreadID: 53620 Views:4155 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,
Recently purchased a Tambo Cooper, and was wondering about powering it up for trips away. Will be running a waeco 50lt, 3-4 leds or floro's and a radio. I have a Nissan x-trail and Falcon wagon. Thinking about a 100-120amp battery.
1. Would like to get as much of the electric's(battery) in the camper as i alternate the vehicle i take(Ford is a company car). Wondering if i use a Redarc isolator, can this be mounted in the trailer to avoid the main battery running flat problem????
2. Approx cost of powering the camper???Any auto elect's out there!!!
3. Best way to charge other than the car?? Smart charger from cheap GMC generater???Anything else.

Thanks,
matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:12

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:12
Have a look at the Arrid Twin Charger for use with the car or Xtrail.

It mounts in the trailer and takes power from the vehicle battery to manage the charge of the trailer battery.

It basically means you don't need huge cables from you vehcle battery to the camper. The twin charge unit only _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 20 amps from the vehicle battery.

A few of us caravanners use them.

AnswerID: 282272

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:02

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:02
Hi Matt

Read these two articles and they will help you work out what you need.

Battery-Charging

Battery-Power

Note: The Redarc can't be remote mounted but the ABR DBi-120 can.
Also buy a 4 stroke sine wave generator not a 2 stroke cheap unit. Depending on your budget you may consider solar.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 282288

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:31

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:31
Matt,

I had my Tambo wired (ex-factory) with both 240 and 12DC. Battery was on board with charger mounted inside storage box. Had a 2KVA digital inverter generator which I found to be a waste of space and only used twice on a 12 month trip.

What vehicle will you be towing with because a dual battery system is the way to go. I had a Navara on the trip (ala rig page photo's) and had the Piranha unit with a second battery in the ute tub. I had a 50amp Anderson plug wired to the back bumper and a third 100AH Deep cycle in the storage box at the front of the trailer. Best way to go. It really depends on just what type of trip you're intending doing with the camper. If static in the bush for long periods, you may be better off with a solar panel as opposed to the generator.

If you can post an email address, I'll give you a wiring diagram of sorts for the trailer and a bit more info.

Cheers, Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 282302

Follow Up By: mattd - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:17

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:17
Thanks again Mick,
Any info in powering up the "Tambo" would be great. Heading up from Vic to Batemans bay and Eden in March. Wouldn't mind getting it powered before then.
mattdenge@hotmail.com
Cheers, Matt
FollowupID: 547253

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:49

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:49
mattd, i have a 110lt waeco and run 3 lights with a 115 deep cell, all through a anderson plug and most importantly 2 x 80w solar panels, never drained the battery yet.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 282558

Follow Up By: mattd - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:18

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:18
Thanks Lance, how have you got it powered??? Battery in the trailer??
Cheers, Matt
FollowupID: 547255

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 15:18

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 15:18
Matt, the battery is set up at the L/H/R corner of the trailer, you r most welcome to check it out, as i am in Narre Warren

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 547405

Sponsored Links