Five Year Guarantee

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:53
ThreadID: 53676 Views:2277 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I received advertising from my favourite camping store in Adelaide today. They have just revised their web page and I noticed this amazing "Five Year Guarantee" on "everything" they sell. It sounds too good to be true. Check out points 3 and 4.

Guarantee

Kingo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 21:29
hi kingsley, i think the key word here is selected items, but saying that, i have had nothing but good service and found they are prepared to go out of there way to help. i have had a few returns over the years and had no problems at all. last one i didn't have a receipt but they remembered me and still replaced the hot water service.
cheers shane.
AnswerID: 282570

Reply By: JJ - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 21:48

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 21:48
Hi,
Don't want to spoil your fun, but... unless I've missed a point,
I take it as... the 5 year guarantee is on 'a selected range of these products', as per following extract from web page:

(item 4! on list)
"4. 5 YEAR GUARANTEE

We've chosen the products in our store for their quality, value and durability. With the support of manufacturers of a selected range of these products we offer a 5 year extended guarantee at no cost to you. We want you to have the sense of security that goes with investing in products that give you good, long term and reliable service."

None-the-less, they sound like a good mob to deal with.
JJ
AnswerID: 282582

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:19
You are right of course. I was bedazzled by the 100% guarantee referred to in point 3.

I do wonder what the selected products are likely to be though.

I must say again that this store is good to deal with and we have always had excellent service from them too.

The camping business must be very competitive.

Kingo
FollowupID: 547111

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:07

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:07
My wife and I both bought some walking boots from the shoe department of Snowys a few years ago.
Neither of us used them a lot - that was evidenced by the negligible wear on the soles and their overall good condition.
A few months ago my wife put hers on when we going on a short bush walk and within a few minutes she was in pain from a cut across the instep of her right foot.

We felt inside the boot and their was a sharp protrusion into the boot around the toe area-that protrusion had actually injured her foot!

We took the boots back expecting profuse apologise (and an offer of free new boots) that boots that should last decades (and become more comfortable obver time) had cut a wearers foot.

Not a chance! We got every conceivable excuse and 'reason' (even including this:the manufacturer don't make that model any more-they make better ones now!!!! can you believe it!) why they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.
After advising them of our rights as consumers we eventually got a new pair but Snowys shoe section can sure do with some improvement on handling genuine complaints!

Why some retailers spend time trying to defend the indefensible is beyond me-they should just give the customer a new product and TELL the manufacturer/importer they're getting the rubbish one back!!

Happy days

George
AnswerID: 282839

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 16:48

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 16:48
Hmmm!

Sounds a little unreasonable to me George.

You folks bought the boots "a few years ago"
And only wore them occasionally and lastly "a few months ago"

And didn't notice any protrusions when wearing them during those "occasional" times?

I think the Retailer excelled any obligation in the circumstance you describe matey.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 547425

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 19:53

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 19:53
OK - may I suggest (for your future benefit not mine) you:

1. go to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission web site:http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/3667

and get a handle on your rights in law - our government went to a lot of trouble giving you those rights - not a bad idea to know what they are; and
2. read about 'fitness for purpose/merchantable quality' in particualr; and

3. understand that the TPA does not place a time limit on 'warranties' - it is necessary that products are fit for the purpose and of merchantable quality. It actually gives the example of a TV that fails in months that should last years as probably not being of merchantable quality.

After doing that please expalin to me how the retailer of boots (about $130;00 that cut my wife's foot after no more than (accummulatively) a few weeks use albeit over a period of 3 years, that then accused us of 'sharp practice' (much as you are doing) could possibly have been doing the right thing by humiliating us and wasting our time??????

Bearing in mind they would have been instantly replaced/reimbursed by the wholesaler/importer anyway and we wouldn't been having this discussion at all but that they would have had a very happy customer who would have been praising their AFTER sales service instead of accurately and truthfully recounting a very nasty incident on this forum. I always put complaints in writing and I still have all the correspondence

I await your response with interest.
PS I'm a consumer. Are you a retailer?
AnswerID: 282954

Sponsored Links