Tis a sad existence

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 20:58
ThreadID: 53757 Views:2500 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Finally come to the conclusion that I can't get my head around all these gadgets (boat anchors) I've purchased over the last few years. Total waste of money.....for me at least.

I'm going back to what I had before. No more gadgets with manuals that Hughie wouldn't be able to get his head around.

No more paraphernalia that weighs a car down.

No more fancy set up's that makes a man irritable...... just sleep in the car.

No more fancy cooking stuff, just a pan, Billy and a fire.

Your probably thinking by now that I've lost my turtle (most likely have).

Use to be a time when it would take a man a very short time to throw a few things in, and off we'd go.

Couple of weeks back, I was taking Damn Dog away for a couple of days and starting to get a bit cranky about how long all of this was taking.

Driving to the camp site I came to the conclusion that I was always happy with less, not more. Each to his own I suppose.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:02

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:02
Maaate, exactly. You know life is like a garden shed. Your first shed is 10 foot by 6 foot and then one day you open the door and it's chock a block, so you go out and buy a 20 fot by 20 foot garage and beggar me in a year or two it's full.

You'd have been better off to stay with the 10 by 6 and saved all the hassles of buying the gear to fill up the big shed??

Same with salary, no matter what I earned I never had any left over anyhow??
AnswerID: 282977

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 13:11
LOl..! Very funny and very true... Don't try and keep up with the Jones's , they had no bleep in clue anyhow..!
FollowupID: 547693

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:21

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:21
Kim, old son,

You may be right.

I remember when the GLW was my girllfriend about 27 years ago and we went camping. Managed to get all that we needed into the boot of an XC Falcon and a few things on the back seat.

Still, in those days we spent far too much time in the tent LOL.

Hey, I was 19.

AnswerID: 282981

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:47

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:47
Yep.....We used to play Monopoly alot as well................
FollowupID: 547606

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:25

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:25
Kim, I can empathise (damn yank spell checker will pick that one up!!) with you. I am in the same process at the moment. Woke up one day and got sick of tripping over things in the shed, multiple cart loads from shed to car and vice versa, and the overwhelming realisation that came one day when unpacking after a small trip, every second item I unpacked I was able to say "havent used that in a while".

I did the same with my treking gear not so long ago. When I sat down and looked at what I had and consequently had to carry on my back, sometimes only a couple of days at a time, it was pretty daunting. Especially when, considering a friend of mine who is into minimalistic ultra lightweight trekking, with all his gear packed, was half the weight of mine and was to last him 37 days on the bibbilman track end to end. (food and water excluded)

It gets frustrating when I look at the amount of junk I have brought over the years, thinking " that will come in handy and be good idea, ill have that" And to think the amount of money that I have outlayed, and used perhaps only once. I don't know sometimes, peraps Im a bit of a sucker for the glossy propaganda that passes in the mail and magazines, but Im getting wiser.

Now I have adopted the two year rule, if hasnt been used or moved in 2 years or more, its gone!! SWMBO only has three months to go ;)

good luck with your rationalisation
AnswerID: 282983

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:52

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:52
nup, nope, nah, no way! Camping these days is much better. I come home with all the hair in the back of my hands and arms and legs. I just switch on the fluoro or LED light, no more replacing the mantle every blasted day after a drive in the bush. We can have a cold drink after three days and its still cold and not floating in 30 litres of water and the milk is still fresh after three days too. The self inflating mattress is divine, much better than a lilo or sleeping on the ground, boith of which I have done and glad to be done with. Folding caribee chairs with arms, MUCH better than squatting around the campfire, and my highback one is great for a snooze in the afternoon sun. The chainsaw does a weeks cutting in an hour and I can go back to sleeping in the sun and our folding malamine table KILLS the old cardtable handsdown.

Other than that I think I'd rather be in Jims XC Falcon - Bloody snob, an XC at 19 hmmmm mine was an XW and I still miss it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 282992

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:09

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:09
Bonz, sounds like you're also jealous of the time he spent in that tent.
FollowupID: 547562

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:36

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:36
Geoff,

It was a V8 as well. GT twin system, ooh it sounded great.

I was as flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

Almost made up for my ugly head.

Jim.
FollowupID: 547576

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:50

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:50
Footie, I too had Intense experiences at that tender age hehehehe at least thats what my memory tells me and I am not too sure if I believe it at my age hahahaha

Jimbo, The 221 six with a 2" exhaust and extractors still brings a tear to my eye when I think about it, a V8 at that age for me wouldve been tooo toooo dangerous hahahaha and I don't mean the back seat

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547586

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:09

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:09
Very subtle Bonz - In tents experiences.

Got it on the second reading.....
FollowupID: 547598

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:13

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:13
Good Job Andrew ......

Once knew a guy who was crook and went to see his Doc. Doc askes whats wrong and he says "Doc I am in strife mate, one day I think I an a Teepee and the next I think I am a Wig Wam, what is it Doc?"

Doc Says "Ahhh I know what your problem is, You're Two Tents"

Try that one in the surgery tomorrow.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547600

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:05

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:05
Easy solution,

Buy a Camper Trailer and everything is stored inside ready to go when you are.
Well at least that's the logic I used to justify the purchase.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 282997

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:14

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:14
Sandman

Been there, done that, it's not for me. Good in query.

LOL

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 547565

Follow Up By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:54

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:54
Good in query??
FollowupID: 547654

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 16:23

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 16:23
Good in "theory ? "
FollowupID: 547728

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:13

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:13
Kim, there comes a time in every man's life when he realizes that looking after what he has, is more important than acquiring new toys.
It's often soon after a divorce :)))))
AnswerID: 283006

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:37

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:37
Ain't that the truth?!! My SWMBO gave me a wakeup call after a couple of years of marriage, and thankfully I got the message. So many people we know have chucked it in, then taken the same problems into a new relationship, which promptly crashed and burned too.
I'm learning to wait a few weeks when I see a new toy - if it still looks like a good idea after some cooling down time, then I get it. Now I've just got to clean out the shed LOL.
Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 547577

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:49

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:49
Footy

I've been divorced longer than your first teeth!

LOL

Kim

FollowupID: 547583

Sponsored Links