Standardising Recovery Points

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:25
ThreadID: 5377 Views:1502 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I had a situation on the weekend to recover a vehicle (yes-a Patrol) out of a boghole. His 'tow' point was tucked up under the bullbar and in the mud- very difficult to locate.
My suggestion- How about 'off road' users have an indicator on the front & back of the vehicle to show the side & location of the recovery points. Some new vehicle have 'tie down' brackets, which I understand are not great for snatching or winching. I have yellow triangles about 60mm on the bullbar & at the back of the vehicle pointing down to the recovery hooks.
Any comments....or am I peeing into the wind!!A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:39
David, were you sloshing around in the mud, or was he?Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22193

Reply By: ptcrowe - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 13:12

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 13:12
Thats not a bad idea, but surely the owner of the truck should be able to tell you where his recovery points are. More to the point if it's his truck in the mud it should be him getting dirty hooking up.
Whenever I am out in the mud and there is the possibilty of needing a snatch I always have a strap attached front and back and tied up somewhere that is easy to get at ie. the bullbar. This way it's just a matter of untieing the strap from the bull bar hooking up to the tow vehicle and off you go. Much better than sitting in the car as water slowly seeps in whilst waiting for someone to locate a recovery point.
AnswerID: 22198

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 15:22
Prior to any "interesting" crossings I attatch my snatch strap both front and rear. It is always easier to undo a shacle in mud than it is to do one up. Attatching both ends gives you a choice of whether to be pulled out fwd or backward by which shackle you undo. just open the back window and throw the excess strap in the car.
FollowupID: 14590

Reply By: desert - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:14

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:14
I reckon the yellow triangles are not a bad idea, but still, the one stuck should be the one getting dirty connecting his own up and therefore you need not worry about where the recovery points are. That way, if you happen to yank off his bull bar, you should have the clear conscious!
AnswerID: 22472

Sponsored Links