Tom Tom settings

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 22:55
ThreadID: 53806 Views:3525 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
SWMBO(Judith) bought a Tom Tom One today. Not the flashest model but good enough for what she wants.

But to set the correct speed for the Warning siren is something else!!! Judith copped a $200 bluey the other day and is now a tad paranoid about the 50kmh speed limit....lol

Set the speed at 50kmh and the warning goes off at 60-63.

So set the speed at 40kmh and the warning goes off at 46 to 51kmh

Scoured the on-line Manual but couldn't find anything on how to recalibrate or set the correct speed.

Anyone have any ideas???

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Blaze - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 00:38

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 00:38
Hi Willie,

So am I reading right and understanding you, that it isn’t that its out by a set few K's. It varies over 4 or 5 k area?
AnswerID: 283233

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:43

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:43
Hi Blaze

We did a number of runs last night up and down the highway trying to get the alarm to go off when the set speed is reached.
It was a clear night with no cloud.

The speed shown on the TomTom is 50 while the Xtrails speedo shows 53. The alarm though, only goes off around 60/63

So we set the alarm at 40 and the alarm now sounds at 46 to 51 which is good enough.

Our main concern is exceeding the 50kmh speed limit when driving through small towns. The Xtrail has Cruise Control so high speeds are not a worry. The Centre dash layout in the car plays its part in driving at the wrong speed.

Maybe this model TomTom is a cheaper version and not that accurate with its technology. We also noticed that many other features you would like, can be downloaded at a price.

Cheers

FollowupID: 547857

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:08

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:08
You cannot recalibrate a GPS.
It calculates its speed reading on the difference between each position every second or 2, depending on how many channels (satelites ) it monitors.
First I would be looking at where you are getting your "correct" speed from?
Also it is important to understand that a GPS lags slightly behind your actual speed when accelerating.
for example
Lets say your GPS updates each second (for simplicity) and your GPS calculates speed by how far you travel in 1 second. At 100kph you are doing 27 meters a second, and if you are doing a steady speed it is absolutely accurate BUT if you are accelerating heavily you may(for example) be doing 90kph and 27 meters further be doing 110kph before it can tell you that your average speed between those points was 100kph
AnswerID: 283234

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:49

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:49
I suppopse I meant recalibrate the speed setting

My Magellan 330 is quite accurate with its speed reading and it does not appear to lag behind.

Even driving at a steady speed the alarm lags behind.

I get your drift though.

Cheers
FollowupID: 547860

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:55

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:55
Willem,
I'd take it back and get a replacement.....
I have a Tom Tom One and haven't had this problem. Perhaps there us a fault with it.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 283241

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:55

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:55
Thanks for that Brian

I will test it a bit longer. Maybe it needs settling in...:-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 547861

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:25

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:25
Willem
Only a thought though,, but I am wondering if the GPS can get enuf satelites to guarantee accuracy. Could be a problem with some of the more basic models.

I know with my little old Etrek Legend, things go a little inaccurate when it can't get enuf satelites to use in its reference.

Cheers

Bucky

AnswerID: 283243

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:44

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:44
Bucky

GPS was picking up 6 satellites.

Cheers
FollowupID: 547858

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 23:19

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 23:19
Regardless of the no of satellites and the accuracy reading a GPS will still accurately measure speed. Willem the Tom Tom is not working properly, if u set the alarm for 50kmh it should be beep at 50 so take it back mate and get another.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 548072

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 23:31

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 23:31
THanks Bonz

Easier said than done....we live in the sticks, remember?

I will get back to my supplier and see what happens

Cheers
FollowupID: 548076

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:57

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:57
Willem,

I have a Go 720 and there is nowhere I can find to change speed alert settings.

Mine is automatic in that whatever the posted speed limit that is set for the section of road you are on, the speed alert sounds as soon as that limit is exceeded.
Obviously relies on the accuracy of the information collected for the map version used and would not take into account temporary or permanent changes that occur from time to time.

Is a good indication of speed limits and safety/speed camera locations, but I wouldn't rely on it completely.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283266

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:14
Bill

Your TomTom must be an upgrade model from ours as ours does not have the automatic speed alerts. We actually have to set the speed we need to have the warning siren activate. We would have to downlload automatic speed alerts if we wanted them....... at a price.

The problem is that the warning siren goes off at irregular speeds as posted above. It might be that the GPS will settle down once it gets used to the daily grind Judith does down to the Art Centre and back...:-}

Cheers
FollowupID: 547922

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:09

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:09
try here for an answer to your problem.

tomtom

If no luck, try reloading the info onto the sd card or better still onto another sd card. What version of the maps are installed? I have same tomtom and just been thru plenty of distress one week out of warranty. In the end after being told where to go, I sorted my problem myself by reloading all onto a new sd card. The latest update version of the maps i was given from tomtom actually caused my tomtom one unit to freeze (apart from other things) every time it was turned on. It took one of those rare moments when the unit would turn on to trial and error methods to fix it and i found that it was due to the actual tomtom sd card being corrupted by the latest version when updated from the disc supplied by tomtom.

OR TRY POSTING THE QUERY ON:

MTekk GPS forum

Good luck
AnswerID: 283326

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:36
Our TomTom is the ONE v3....el cheapo

I can't see a removable SD card
FollowupID: 547986

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:51
Does your tomtom look similar to the animation in the following link? Does it have a slot on the right hand side at the base as shown in the link? If so push it and you should see a SD card start to come out. If it does have a card it has all your info on it like maps etc. This is what you would update when you want or need to. Why not contact TomTom via the site at the link and ask them the question. Or I was given this number as a contact for them 02 8875 1700. Cant hurt to try it as these units may seem basic but they have a lot of different ways they can help you other than showing a map and you can change voices, maps, colours to maps, backgrounds etc, even put your own personal photo in them as the opening screen. These do not always come at a cost - a lot are free and easily available if you search the internet.
Try clicking on this link and see how you go..
tomtom support, tips and training
FollowupID: 547999

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:40

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:40
No...as I said, we have the cheap version. No SD card. Doesn't matter.

When set on 40kmh it goes off between 49 and 52 which is close enough. It must have something to do with the frequencu of satellites in this part of the hemisphere. As long as that works. And the navigation part works well also so SWMBO is happy.

Cheers
FollowupID: 548060

Reply By: Camoco - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:57

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:57
Hi Willem,

I don't know about the Tom Tom but my Accura has both a km/h variable and a percentage variable. Both can be set over and under and can be from the mapped zone limit or a preset max. The alert goes off the instant the set limit is reached. These settings are located under an advanced personal config menu.

Whilst the Accura isn't the best (apparently) it is very handy with it's 7" screen and easy to use screen buttons.

I used a Navman 50 the other day and was very put off by the amount of screen tapping required and backtracking through menus. This Navman seemed to not have the speed alerting but it could also have been that it was too complex to find. Also the trips seemed difficult to edit whereas the Accura is a simple method of :_ Route/edit then add or subtract any location or artifact (like u-turns or roundabouts)

I use the speed alert a lot to keep me in check.

Cheers Cam
AnswerID: 283338

Reply By: DesF - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:06
Hi I have a Tom Tom one v3, and use the speed warning all the time , with mine ( set on 50 ) , it goes off at about 52/53 and if you keep going over that speed , at about 56 it does not keep going which is good and once you have slowed down to under 50( next town) it will sound again as you speed up over 50. I really appreciate the red light warnings with the speed limit for the intersection, just spent 4 days in adelaide and was muchly appreciated.I have been using it for a couple of months and find it to be consistant.
They are a basic unit but I find it very easy to use & reliable, just wish it had a card slot to load other maps .
The best thing is how happy the wife is for not getting told off for having the book upside down. she thinks it is the best thing I have got .
But if you want more you pay more.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 283351

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:38
Our TomTom might settle down after a few days and give a more accurate reading....lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 547987

Sponsored Links