Larger families

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:21
ThreadID: 53813 Views:2497 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We want to come over for a month and travel around the Darwin to Bromme area. The bad news (depending on how you look at these things) is that we have 4 kids (12,9,8,4). So I would appreciate absolutley any advice on things such as:
- what would be the best mode of transport (camper or trailer tent?),
- places to stay,
- the kind of costs involved etc

Cheers

Glyn, Paula, Megan, Ned (no, not that one), Phineas, and Hugo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:37
Hello Glyndj,

Perhaps a bit more info would assist us in giving you some sensible advice. Where are you coming from, when are you planning to come and what sort of things do you want to see? What are your 4wd driving skills like?
Do a google on Kimberley and that should get you quite a bit of info to start with.
The Kimberley is a wonderful place and your family will love it.
HTH,
Cheers,
Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283317

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:40
Hello Glyndj,

Perhaps a bit more info would assist us in giving you some sensible advice. Where are you coming from, when are you planning to come and what sort of things do you want to see? What are your 4wd driving skills like?
Do a google on Kimberley and that should get you quite a bit of info to start with.
HTH,
Cheers,
Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283318

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:40
Hello Glyndj,

HTH,
Cheers,
Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283319

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:41

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 13:41
Oops - 3 times the value for that one! Must be the gremlins...
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547928

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:17

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:17
LOL you getting nervous Val :)))

FollowupID: 547936

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:57

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:57
As Val said i'ts pretty hard to give advice when we know little about your situation. For starters what car do you drive? If you drive a family sedan then it will severely limit where you can go. A well set up 4wd, well, that's a diffrerent story.

You should do an archive search on this site and type in "Kimberley" or "Gibb river road" or "travelling with children" and read what others have said. Will give you a good starting point.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 283358

Reply By: glyndj - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:16
Val, Barnesy,

We'll be coming over from the UK in August so we'll be hiring all the kit, using Darwin as a base. 4WD driving skills are currently minimal so we will only want to do relatively easy 4WD trips. So if we have car and trailer we need 6 seats and if we do campervan that limits where we can go.

Will have a look in the Kimberley, Gibb and children sections and post any more questions after.

Thanks!

Glyn
AnswerID: 283420

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:23

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:23
Hi Glyn,

The road to Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks is bitumen. You can go on bitumen from Darwin down to Katherine and then across to Kununurra and Lake Argyle, Broome and Derby, with a side trip to Wyndham.
The Gibb River Road is gravel which can be rough and/or corrugated, requiring a tough vehicle, though not necessarily a 4WD (though in practice a 4wd is what most would use for that trip, as getting into the gorges may require some driving on rougher tracks).
To go into the Bungle Bungles (Purnululu National Park) requires a 4WD.
Your best option, if its possible, would be to hire a 4WD and a camper trailer.
Which ever rig you choose you will have a great time, there is so much to see and experience.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548052

Reply By: glyndj - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:00

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:00
Thanks Val, that's very helpful. We've always wanted to go to the Bungle Bungles so now we know we need 4WD. Will start scouring trailer and vehicle hire sites.

Cheers

Glyn
AnswerID: 283597

Sponsored Links