National 4WD Track Database

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:41
ThreadID: 53820 Views:4292 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

We are asking for help in creating the National 4WD Tracks Database at National 4WD Track Database The database is searchable from a map of Australia which has topo and satellite views as well as the standard map view. All tracks are ranked based upon the length and difficulty. GPS track logs can be uploaded and view on the map.

The purpose of the site is to allow new 4 wheelers to find tracks that are appropriate to their experience and vehicle, and also for experienced drivers to easily find great tracks when they are out of their neck of the woods.

There is a track logging feature, so you can keep track of when and where you went driving.

The site is free for all users and we would appreciate any help in uploading tracks and GPS logs.

Safe Driving!

James

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:09

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:09
It will be a good place for those looking to close tracks to find info out. Brilliant idea.

Hasnt this been discussed on other forums already?
AnswerID: 283299

Follow Up By: Patriot - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:38

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:38
Hi Truckster,

There has been a bit of discussion on some of the forums. Some suggestions have been made and we have implemented many of them.

The majority of the feedback, including the State Associations and Lands managers is that they have wanted something like this for a long time to be able to get information out about track conditions, to decrease the amount of queries they receive about where offroad track are that are open for use and to provide a safer first experience for people going offroad.

You may have noticed we have cut out all reference to the most extreme tracks and are now in line with Parks Victoria's 4 grades of track classification.

Please let me know if you have any specific concerns.

James
FollowupID: 547911

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:09

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 14:09
James

I am wracking my brain to remember when this subject came up and I think it was before the advent of the internet when I was still involved with the NT 4x4 Association and my mate was Chair of ANFWDC around the late 1990's

Its a good idea but it will be an enormous task.

ExplorOz promotes its Members and Visitors to submit Track Plots and it has quite a number of Track Files in its database.

I suggest you speak with David Martin, the owner of this site, as he might have some imput to your suggestion.

Cheers
AnswerID: 283327

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:01

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 16:01
I do not understand why the ExplorOz trek note system does not for fill some of the requirements of the land owners and general public. We have published detailed and updatable trek notes and a fully consolidated and WFS compliant road conditions system for near on 10 years why do we need another. ExplorOz has always presented the information for free and will continue to do so. We are about to implement a new feature and publish near on 400 new trek notes files in a method like your intention, why has no one spoken to us on this subject?
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283348

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:30
Nothing like a little a little competion Dave to 'raise the bar' of all sites ;-)
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 548010

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:24
James an interesting site layout that will unfortunately see more people travelling our favourite tracks. I see a few problems with these track log data bases.
1. The popular treks with positive feedback become over run & camp-sites en route crowded. The extra traffic over time causes damage to tracks, dust problems, rubbish & toilet issues. (The Craig's hut area is a classic example)
2. The Track Difficulty Criteria has always been a contentious issue & something that could easily lead people astray. Just looking at the moderate rating one could be excused for thinking it wouldn't be too hard for almost any real 4x4. Recovery equipment is not even suggested.
("Moderate : Rough sections. Possible shallow water/creek crossings. Possible beach/sand driving. Minor elevation climbs. Great for the more experienced drivers/vehicles")
At no point in the classification is the time of year or the weather conditions taken into account. An easy route like The Mt Skene road in summer is 2wd but in winter the snow is 1m deep! In the High Country or even outback many medium tracks can turn into Extreme with just 10mm of rain.
Tracks over time deteriorate & then may be regraded making it near impossible to keep the hundreds of routes truly accurate meaning people may head into an area thinking a route is within their capability when it's not.
3. Listing Difficult & Extreme trips can & has led to inexperienced 'Gun Ho' people tackling tracks above their experience. If they don't know where they are there is less chance they will find them. The less these are advertised the better IMHO. Will be interesting to see when someone is killed on an official "Extreme" rated track if Parks will be forced by litigation to close all other extreme tracks on their list? I hope not.
Don't get me wrong I'm not bagging the site as I just don't agree with the "Parks"/4x4 Association philosophy of rating tracks.
Cheers Craig..........

AnswerID: 283409

Follow Up By: Patriot - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 14:00

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 14:00
Hi Craig,

Thank you for the feedback. The Extreme track rating has been taken down. It was left in inadvertently after some changes were made following up some feedback in other forums.

Yes, definitely need to work on the criteria a little bit more, so they will be expanded.

I had a chat to David yesterday and we discussed some possible link ups.

Thanks for the feedback.

James
FollowupID: 548136

Sponsored Links