Good Driving Lights...Sydney

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:45
ThreadID: 53835 Views:4206 Replies:15 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

I might treat myself to a new set of driving lights and as I haven't purchased any of these for many many years I don't know much about them. All manufacturers will tell you that their's are the best...so I am asking here.

There are heaps to choose from and I just want a set of decent hard wearing lights that are usable in most circumstances.

I would also like to see if I can get them fitted somewhere in Sydney (live out Liverpool way)

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 18:51
Dunco,

You could try TJM at Blacktown, they have a large range of light and can fit them as well.

1/12 Garling Rd Kings Park. 02 96221000

Tell them that I sent you, it probably will not do any good, but give it a go.

Wayne
AnswerID: 283380

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:23
Wayne

You are too modest mate :-)

You know 'young' Earle thinks only the best of you :-))))
FollowupID: 548027

Reply By: Member - peter C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:05
i,ve had many different driving lights over the years and my last 2 sets have been light force lights i think made in adelaide. very good lights,globes seem to last forever and you can get a range of clipon filters which enable the same light to be spread, pencil or fog beam. the filters are polycarbonate and act as a stone guard as well. my present set on pajero have been there for 320000km and i have not replaced a globe nor chipped a lens.
AnswerID: 283387

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:10

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:10
My Lightforce XGTs have been on 4 different cars now and I have lost count of how many ks they have done. I have still not replaced a bulb. An incredible lite, strong, durable constuction, dosent leak dust or water, unconditional guarantee and made in Australia, for mine nothing else even come close.
Cheers,
Rob Berrill
Cert IV Instructor\Assessor
Accredited instructor cars\motorcycles\4wds
http://www.cairnsoffroad.com.au
http://www.aussieat.net
http://aussieadtours.blogspot.com/

FollowupID: 548021

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:25
Gday,
Ive got Hella Rally 2000s and Hella Jumbos. They are great lights and have lasted for years but as soon as they need replaceing I will be going for Light Force.

Cheers
AnswerID: 283388

Reply By: GREENDOG - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:45
Light Force for me, i've had mine for 4 yrs on the Paj and never had a problem,overrall a great driving light.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 283392

Reply By: SteveL - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:54
There have been posts before about this and quite a few people had Cibie Oscars for many years.I've had mine since '74.
AnswerID: 283394

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:00
This is going to be a Toyota vs Nissan, Engel vs Waeco kind of thing.

Lightforce and IPF are the two leading brands and their are several different models/sizes to choose from.

Work out what sort of budget you have and price a pair of spotties accordingly.

Things may have changed but TJM kind of aligned themselves with the Lightforce brand and ARB with the IPF brand.

Me, I chose IPF's because they were the only ones that came in a rectangular shape which suited my bull bar better. They have a metal enclosure and keyed lock nuts to reduce the chance of theft.

Others will tell you if you haven't got Lightforce you haven't got the best, even if they are plastic.
The lightforce spots also have a range of optional, bling bling, coloured lenses if that suits your taste.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283397

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:50
If you don't do much night driving out in open country then the Lightforce 240's seem overkill to me (I have them cause I do a lot of driving out there), the IPF's I had on the Patrol before the l/force are a good light but still pricey, so if you are after value, the Narva range seem OK for their price. Ultimately it will depend on where and how much night driving you do and what your budget is. Unlimited budget- limited open country driving= IPF for me. Lots of open country night driving= L/force 240's regardless of your budget just do it and you won't regret it, they are that good in this landscape.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 283412

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:11

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:11
How can you have spot lights that are an overkill, even if you only use them for 8 nights of the year isn't it better to have realy good lights then poor ones.

FollowupID: 548022

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:55
All about value for money, if you have the money then buy the expensive one's like I said. Plenty of cheaper one's to get you through the odd time you might need them, if you are on a budget though.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 548035

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:10
"How can you have spot lights that are an overkill"
Super bright headlights on roads with a bit of traffic are overkill as you need to dip them all the time back to dimm low beams, making vision almost non existant for a few seconds while your eyes adjust. Those with HID often complain of this. For the average Joe city slicker who really doesn't need heaps of light a simple high/low beam globe upgrade is often a better choice but of course doesn't have that "Bling" effect.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 548048

Reply By: seb - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:58

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:58
Hi, Dunco, just went through this myself. I ended up ordering the Lightforce 170 striker. I have just purchased a new Hilux & have the genuine bullbar fitted,the 170 strikers seem to fit just nice, the 240 blitz lightforce seemd a bit to big for me,depends what you drive I suppose. Mate look into the lightforce lights, I was just about to go Ipf or hella but I liked the build & weight of the LF,s No glass no break & heaps of light output. Should be arriving by the end of this week & I will install them over the long weekend.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 283433

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 23:16

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 23:16
Dunco

I have got Light Force and I am very happy with them.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283448

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 00:25

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 00:25
Dunco,

I have always had Hella Rallye 4000 driving lights until my last two 4WD's, which had IPF's. I was very disappointed in the performance of the IPF's considering they cost me the same as Rallye 4000's.

I have driven 3 vehicles with LightForce fitted and found them to be very good and worth the money. I will definately try them next on our new Cruiser. But for the work vehicles (atleast in the mean time) I will stick with Hella as they survive hitting skippies.
AnswerID: 283452

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 00:47

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 00:47
Thanks everyone...bloody excellent responses !!

Will now ponder and check things out...there is a TJM Corporate store 5 minutes away and will check them out tomorrow.

Thanks again
AnswerID: 283454

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:19

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:19
I notice that John S and Hairy recommend Hella .

I think they are good lights too on normal road cars , but they have a problem with water incursion on creek crossings .

Hella advertise their lights in 4WD magazines , but freely admit that the only light in their range that should be immersed is their special waterproof model .

I have personal experience of this , having driven my Hella HID Predator lights through a creek in the Pilbarra , and having them fill half full of muddy water in seconds . Not good good for lights worth over $2000 a pair . Hella management told me "tough luck " so now I always carry bags to put over them .

Never had that problem with my old Cibie lights .

Willie
AnswerID: 283468

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:50
Willie,

true, they arn't sealed that well. But a bit of silicone around the wires and grease on the mounting plate stops most if not all water entering. On one of our mates work utes, we put 4x 4000's across the rollbar and 2x 2000'S on the bull bar. Put the expensive ones up high and they last forever - they don't even get sand blasted like the ones on the bull bar do.
FollowupID: 548220

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:08

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:08
How about throwing a cat amongst the pigeons !!!!!

Put HID in your headlights and don't worry about driving lights !!!!!

Good quality ones ( not made in China ) can be had on e bay for less than $200

Not saying they are better than driving lights .....but they are very impressive !!!!!!!
AnswerID: 283475

Reply By: Ircon - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:46

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:46
I have a set of IPF lights and all the wiring harness etc. which I took off my Pajero before I sold it. They are in excellent condition and I would accept a reasonable offer for them. Includes anti-theft nuts.
I think I paid over $500.00 for them.

One pencil beam the other wide beam.

Brand new, never been used white and black covers and a set of clear plastic protectors. One has a crack caused by a stone.

As far as getting lights fitted try, ARB on Milperra Road Moorebank. They did a pretty good job for me.

I am in Woonona, a northern suburb of Wollongong

ross.payne@issystems.com.au
AnswerID: 283481

Reply By: BMKal - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:59

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:59
Hi Dunco.

I think the answer to your question depends a lot on where you are likely to be driving at night.

I run Hella Predator HID's and also have a set of Hella Rally 4000's with HID conversions. But I live in Kalgoorlie, and travel a lot on long, straight roads with a lot of roo's around.

If you are more likely to travel on winding roads, particularly where there is likely to be more traffic around, then I wouldn't be recommending the same type of lights. I agree completely with Crackles' comment suggesting a very noticeable lack of light when you dip the headlights and HID's and go back to low beam (I am currently upgrading my headlights to HID for this reason).

If you are looking for a good set of long range driving lights, then I would suggest your best options would be Light Force, Hella or possibly Cibie. I have had a lot of experience, both with my own vehicles and with work cars, with Light Force, Hella and IPF, but have not used Cibie for many years, so can only go on what others say about these. Of those that I have had experience with, the Light Force and Hella are about equal on performance as far as light output goes. Light Force has the advantage of being better water proofed, but the problems with the Hella in this area can be fixed quite easily. Hella has a more secure and stable mounting system (referring here to the Predator and 4000 series). All of our company cars have come with IPF lights fitted - I have removed these and fitted the Rally 4000's. The IPF's simply do not compare in any way with the Light Force and Hella products.

Also, whatever you look at - do not buy the "Roo Lights" that some of the 4WD shops are now promoting as a competitor to the Light Force. They are a cheap copy of the Light Force and do not match them in any way.

Cheers ............... BM
AnswerID: 283658

Sponsored Links