Gammon Ranges trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 19:47
ThreadID: 53839 Views:3612 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking about going camping in the Gammon Ranges in the school holidays. Was going to do Googs Track but the two other cars have all but pulled out. Can someone suggest some good places to go and places to camp? I know the Flinders extensively as I worked there years ago but never go to the Gammon Ranges.

BTW, to get into Big Moro Gorge do you need a permit? And is the turnoff a bit further north then you head back south west?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:04
Howdy Louie,

I don't know about Big Moro Gorge, but camped on the side of riverbed below Grindles Hut, was a nice quite spot, this was back in October.

I think there was a bit of a write up in the latest RAA magazine.

Cheers,
Adam.
AnswerID: 283398

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:06
Warraweena sanctuary and Arkaroola are the places to go.
Warraweena for great 4wding and camping. Arkaroola has a couple of good 4wd tracks also and the tour to Sillers Lokout is excellent. Also worthwhile is the tour in the observatory at night.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 283401

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:22
I think it was called Chambers gorge, about 90k southish of Arkaroola Top spot lots of nice walks, Aboriginal art, flys etc

and agree with Arkaroola for a couple of nights

Have a top time

Rgds
Ian
AnswerID: 283408

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:54
Hi Fly

We stayed a few nights at Arkaroola - good value considering the remoteness - and a pleasant spot high on the hill. We did day trips around the wilderness area, old mining areas, adjacent stations, and the 4wd loop in the Gammons. The drive to the hot springs was very scenic, particularly in the light late in the day when we went.

There a several places to camp in the Gammons, but access is not suited to caravans.The loop is one way only (for part of it - but not much point it going the opposite way) and took a lot longer than we expected. A worthwhile scenic drive. Camping sites in the Gammons have fairly new pit toilets, and the area was being well maintained by volunteer "friends of the park" during holiday seasons.

We went to Chambers Gorge and there is plenty of room for camping with no facilities, but did not go to Big Moro Gorge so cannot comment on access.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283431

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:09

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:09
Louie,
Agree with the other comments re spots especially Warraweena. I have to differ re Arkaroola. The area and scenery is great but I found the 'resort' very commercial and cramped, not our scene. We would have needed 2 sites to put up our small camper trailer.

Went to Arkaroola ~30 years ago and it was a totally different atmosphere, the emphasis was not on money but rather the land and conservation.

We stopped at Weetootla Gorge in the NP ~30km short of Arkaroola plenty of space, walks, birds and animals. Toilets only if that is a concern. Lovely spot.

Lots of other bush camping in the area if you like to hear the wind and birds rather than voices and radios.

cheers
alastair
AnswerID: 283476

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 21:26

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 21:26
Hi Alastair

You may have been there at a peak time. We were there in April 2006, and there was oodles of room further out away from the other campers. We are used to bush camping on our own, and were happy with our spot well away from the others. Their flights and tours were rather expensive ( didn't do any of these), but there were plenty of free drives.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 548236

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:58

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:58
Chambers Gorge is great,not facility's but nice walks up the gorge. Used to be able to drive the full length of the gorge as you can get out at the other end.
Re Big Moro,a bit over rated,but you will probably have it to yourself. Need to contact Neppabunna(spelt something like that), we accessed it via one of the stations(got lost,but got there in the end,all good fun.just didn't have the right topo). Just phoned Neppabunna before visiting(day before) and posted them a chq latter on when we got back home($22 i think).Stopped at the homestead and got permission to use the station tracks.
Message me if you want and i will check my records and be a bit more specific.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284042

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:26

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:26
Thanks Lyndon. Still not decided where we are going yet. The guy I work for told me about it a while back (Moro Gorge). Said he went there probably 6 or 7 years ago, and it was real rugged to get into. Thinking about trying to hire Grindell's Hut for a few days. I've been to Chambers years ago while working in the area. Real nice scenery there.

He also said something, and I've also heard about it from some old guys while working in the Flinders back in the late 80's & early 90's, about an old mining settlement north of Wirrealpa that still has buildings and so on, just as it was when it was abandoned. Somewhere around UL0060 to UL0556, possibly near Wirreapla Mine and Old Wirreapla Well on the Parachilna 1:250000 map. I tried to find something on Google Earth but couldn't find JS. Anyone know anything about this place?
FollowupID: 548778

Sponsored Links