caravan for 2 people

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:04
ThreadID: 53845 Views:2651 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Myself and my wife are looking to take off shortly for a 3 month trip across the top. We have just purchased a nissan patrol as the tow vehicle but are complete novices to the caravan scene.
We just want something fairly small, single axle, with a double bed and kitchen, looking to spend max. $15,000.
Can anyone give us some suggestions of make and models to look at that may fit our requirements?
Thanks in advance
Hsut
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:26
Hi hsut

So long as you don't anticipate being in the wet, you can get second hand "wind up" caravans quite cheaply. The one we had was small, and the slide out beds at each were both 'double' - a bit too small for my king sized Rooster to share, so we had one bed each. Zip open plastic windows with fly screens meant we were sleeping out under canvas looking at the stars, with very quick and easy setting up.

We used our fold up table, and the l-shaped bench with storage under was roomy to sit on. Plenty of room for two, but not a lot of room for clothes (we just had a couple of weekend bags for clothes stored on the floor when travelling and at night, and on the beds at meal time). It has gas stove with 2 burners and grill, and a sink with pump tap - all we needed. We took it on rough roads and put up with the dust. It has an annex but we didn't need it.

We replaced the fridge with an Engel upright 12/240 v, added a deep cycle battery and made a stand for a solar panel to put out when we stopped. We bush camped most of the time.

Our daughter and partner now use the van and go camping with their two little children, towing with their family station wagon. They set up the annex when staying for more than one night.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283441

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:31

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 22:31
Hello Hsut,

If all you want is a double bed and a kitchen, then a camping trailer might be the way to go. If you get one with off-road capabilities then you are not limited to bitumen as would generally be the case with a caravan, especially one in your price range. Have a look in the trader section here to see what is available.

Whatever you choose, suggest that you do several short "shake down" trips (eg weekends) before you set off for 3 months. That way you can sort out the little niggles before you set out on your big trip. Otherwise they could be a real pain if you have to put up with them for 3 months.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283442

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 00:44

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 00:44
Wow...so many to chose from and depends on what you want inside other than the double bed and kitchen....and whether you want something easy to set up and take down.

I don't know where you live but the Sydney Caravan Show is on at the end of March and would be well worth a look for your questions.

personally, I like something that i can pull up in anywhere I want and go to sleep with a minimum of fuss. I have a 16' Jayco Poptop with 2 single beds, fridge, stove, microwave, solar panel, satTV.....and some creature comforts I LIKE. My opinion only
AnswerID: 283453

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 06:08

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 06:08
This might suit.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283456

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:59

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:59
Is that what Dusty uses when he wants to get away for a while ?
FollowupID: 548106

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:04

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:04
Willie
How'd you guess, I think if one seen that ....overtake you you'd start scratching the head.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548108

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:29

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:29
I think a small caravan would suit you. I would never have one of those wind up camper vans. With a "normal" van be it a solid roof type or a pop top you can pull over, cook a meal, have a brew or a kip without too much bother. You have storage for your clothes and your fridge can be left running while you are on the move.
As a previous writer stated you should go for a couple of week enders before going on your big trip and if it rains, so what, you are self. With a Patrol you will have no trouble towing a caravan.
AnswerID: 283469

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:06

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:06
Go to the caravan dealers and walk around the lot.
AnswerID: 283487

Reply By: Anglo - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 13:16

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 13:16
Or you could just buy a 2 room tent for about $400, get a self inflating queen mattress and use the rest to pay for motels etc when you're fed up with the canvas... :)

This is our plan and with the Patrol there is plenty of space for everything.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 283498

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:42

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:42
There are many small vans up to 16ft that will do what you want easily as long as you do your homework and check them out for sturdiness. The link below (copy n Paste) is where you would get plenty of good answers to your query.

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/messageboard.msnw.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 283562

Sponsored Links