What have you lost and/or found when travelling?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:10
ThreadID: 53862 Views:3587 Replies:21 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what sort of interesting things you may have found in your travels that others have lost or left behind . Or, have you managed to leave anything of value behind?

The only things of consequence that we've lost were a set of double, cast iron, jaffle irons and a set of binoculars. Had used the jaffle irons to make a lunch stop snack and set them down on a log to cool. Then drove off and didn't realize until we were too far down the road. The binos somehow fell out of the truck in some long grass and once again we didn't realise until it was too late.

Have found heaps of stuff: truck loads of tent pegs; a couple of swags (probably fell off back of utes - left them there as we don't use swags); a canvas water cooler bag; plenty of kids toys; odd pieces of cutlery; minor tools; and a pocket knife. But the weirdest was a set of good clothes (neatly folded) and dress shoes beside a lagoon (not in croc country) with no-one around, no camp-site - just the clothes. Reported it to nearest cops and never heard anything more about it.

Cheers from the Moose
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:37

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:37
Yes we've found a bit of stuff over the years, tent pegs, thermos full of hot coffee, tools, spare wheels etc.
The best find was a motorbike, toolbox with tools, gennie in a box, rear bumper and associated bracketry on the Gibb river road. Dragged it all off the road, made a note of the distance to the next creek and motored on. Pulled into a clearing around an hour or so later and there was a bus/motorhome pulled in as well. While the wife was making lunch I wandered over to have a look at it, sure enough signs of broken steel at the rear etc. The owner walks out of the scrub and we start talking as you do and I said to him how's it going etc and then steered the conversation towards gennies, motorbikes etc and he says I've got all mine on the rack at the back, come and have a look, should of seen his face when he walked around the back!!
Needless to say they took off up the road back the way they'd come very quickly.
We've left things sitting behind on rocks to dry too!!, no fun when you leave ALL your tentpegs behind when you go to put up the tent the next night ;-))
AnswerID: 283523

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:18

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:18
I know I have left some tent pegs behind but never all of them at once.

A few years ago I was travelling down to Maldon in Vic to keep a mate company on a car retrieval run. At the last min we dicided to throw my little hike tent and a bit of gear in just in case we had an opportunity to spend a night in the bush.

Well the opportunity was manufactured so we pulled up near Yarrongabilly Caves for the night. I know it's hardly on the direct route from Maldon to Sydney but I did say the opportunity was manufactured.

When we went to put the tent up there were no pegs in the bag. With storm clouds brewing we found a pile of old fencing wire and I was able to cut it to length and bend it to shape for light pegs using my Leatherman. We got a little wet but overall it could have been a lot worse.

I had loaned the tent along with another one to a friend who was taking a group away. When he packed up he put all the pegs in one bag and packed it with the other tent.

My best find was on a canyoning trip, I found a bum bag with a tape harness and a really nice decender in it. I really felt for whoever lost it because it was on the way in to the canyon. It was a long and difficult walk to the first abseil and they were going to be very dissapointed.

Duncs

FollowupID: 548161

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:21

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:21
Travelling out of Palm Valley a few years ago we passed a tour bus going in, in a big hurry. A few Kms down the road we passed some plastic boxes and apples and oranges strewn across the road. Some scattered tools further along, and then a jump starter sitting in the middle of the road. This we took to the police at Hermansburg. Guess there were some tourists who missed out on "little lunch" that day.
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 548194

Reply By: Members - Chris/Lindsay (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:41

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:41
Last winter we found a really useful sleeping bag cover in the snow at Mt. Skene in VIC. I actually was planning to buy one and it did the trick nicely.Have lost a lilo on the Finke River road, motorbike pants on the Lake Leake Rd. in Tassie[not wearing at the time!!], suntan cream on the OOdnadatta Track, etc. boring stuff but great places! Haven't found that much. Most useless thing was an Adelaide Crows scarf on the highway near Horsham the day after they won the final about 10 years ago. Maybe hubby drives too fast. You can always stock up on shampoo and soap in beach caravan parks over summer. Cheers, Christine
AnswerID: 283526

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:48

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:48
We've found a double cast iron jaffle iron and a pair of binoculars!!! (just kidding)........;-))

The only thing of any consequence I've left behind was my Maverick's jack handle up in Barrington Tops in the mid 90's. I'd been using it's convenient hook to lift the camp oven on/off the fire and left it there when we packed up hastily in the rain the next morning.

On the found side.... I found an oldish, well-worne Dryz-a-bone hanging in the fork of a tree in the Victorian High Country in about 2000. I still have it and class it as "mine" now.
AnswerID: 283529

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:23

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:23
Don't forget you once left 10 litres of oil behind.!

Oh thats right it came from a Nissan so that would be of no consequence.
FollowupID: 548197

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 13:58

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 13:58
David, I think you missed the point. The thread is about ACCIDENTLY leaving things behind. Somehow, I can't conjour up the oil being accidently left behind. LOL
FollowupID: 548354

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:50

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:50
Found a nice gympie at a truck layby once near Kununurra about 10 years ago. Still use it for bashing in tent pegs, etc.
And the usual items of cutlery, but they never seem to match our own camping set :-)
Gerry
AnswerID: 283530

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:00

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:00
Gympie??? Are you really from WA?

I'm born and bred and always called them dolly hammers.

Maybe it's time for a thread on how different States have different names for the same item.

eg QLD: togs

WA: bathers.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548156

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:49

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:49
Hi Gone bush,
yep, born and bred in WA as well. Prob depends whether you live north or south of the Swan river ;-)
A dolly hammer is used in panel beating, as far as my limited knowledge of panel beating goes.
A gympie is a short-handled square-head hammer. Sort of like a mini sledge hammer. Always known them as that, and I've worked with tower riggers, who always called them that. I think brickies also call them a gympie hammer.
But I could be wrong - I'll let you start that thread....
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 548170

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:10

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:10
Yep it's a gympie or a lump hammer but never a dolly.

If you went into a hardware store and asked for a dolly hammer they'd send you to Toy World for a new set of Ken's tools. (Joking LOL)
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548210

Follow Up By: Member - LOS BUSH - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:19

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:19
Never a Dolly, always a gimpy .if you ever ask a brickie if you can use his Dolly you may end up with a trowell around your ears

Los
FollowupID: 548334

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 14:01

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 14:01
In SA, they are called a Mash hammer. Don't know why. Maybe it's cos if you hit your fingers with it, it's what they turn into.
FollowupID: 548355

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:07

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:07
I found a Truckies tie down strap,the other day on the Strzelecki track, complete with short double hook end and hand winch with about 4 metres of strap.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 283535

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:44

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:44
MineLab metal detector !! Handed it in at Coober Pedy Police. After about 6 months it was delivered by the local police to home....No one had claimed it !!

AnswerID: 283546

Reply By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:14

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:14
Lost: small wooden wedges, by the dozen! I make them for the purpose of leveling my 3 way fridge then when it's time to pack I pick the fridge up and put it into the vehicle leaving the wedges on the ground! I'm gradually returned felled timber to the forests :)

Found: Nothing worth mentioning, a few tent pegs....

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 283554

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:19

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:19
To all you thieves....I want my tent pegs back...NOW !!!

AnswerID: 283557

Follow Up By: Moose - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:23

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:23
Upon receipt of $100 in cash (to cover the costs of carting them home from where you lost them, cleaning, packaging, postage etc) you can have them back :-)
FollowupID: 548174

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:47

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:47
Gday,
A mate and I found a Lady having a turd behind a tree on the Boggy Hole track years ago!
We turned the engine off and rolled up behind her.
Sort of gives a new meaning to the name Boggy Hole.

Cruel..I know, But you had to be there!
AnswerID: 283563

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:06

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:06
Did she sh1t herself...hahaha

FollowupID: 548187

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:19

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:19
Glenn, Snapper and I went looking for wood.

Stopped at a spot where there was some wood and a car, but no occupants.

We waliked about 20 yards and found the couple who belonged to the car............doing the horizontal waltz.

AnswerID: 283574

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:38

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:38
Seeing this is a thread of "lost & found" are you trying to tell us that she lost her virginity? LOL
FollowupID: 548199

Follow Up By: Kev - Wynnum - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 23:12

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 23:12
Lucky she still had the container it came in
FollowupID: 548257

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 00:53

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 00:53
Was he banging away with his Dolly Hammer?
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548265

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:33

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 18:33
We lost the kitchen out of our Aussie Swag camper on the way to Steep Point a few years back. Packing up at Hamelin Pool that morning, when one of those bar stewards who leave it till you are flat strap to get on the road came up to chat. "How's the Aussie Swag? How hard to pack up? etc etc"

Being polite, we stopped to chat - and when he had gone completely overlooked the latch pin that you must put in the slide out kitchen when travelling. Got almost out to the point - in those days it was not advisable to take a trailer all the way, so we were going to leave the trailer in a nice camp on the cliff top and do the 15 kms each way with just the car.

The fun started. Jan got out of the car to direct me into the spot we chose. "WHERE'S MY KITCHEN????". The kitchen had broken the door lock about 30 km before, and as we went along it had spread knives, forks, plates, cooking gear and salt & pepper shakers along the track then finally broke a weld and fell out.

That was the end of the trip to the point. We went back, found the kitchen 15 km down the road and the rest of the stuff along for the next 15 km all except one sharp knife. We then headed back to Hamelin with the kitchen tied back and in for a hard afternoon of cleaning, scrubbing and rigging up a temporary stove.

When we got to Geraldton a few days later we got it welded and fixed it up for about $80. Had to get one latch posted from Brisbane - but Aussie Swag sent it for free as they had the perfect story to tell customers to always check the latch pin!!

Not surprising then that people who have been in the same park for two or three days who come along to chat because they have the same caravan as we do get short shrift these days. I cannot understand why they wait till they see you packing up. We will chat - while we are packing.

But all in all , it was the hilarious highlight of our 14 month "big trip" and we finally got to Steep Point six years later - leaving the van at Hamelin and taking a tent. And it was worth waiting for.

That's our lost something story. LOL

Oh and we have found more tent pegs than we could ever use over the years! That's all.

Max
AnswerID: 283579

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:16

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:16
Found a nice looking mans watch at Claytons Bore on the Birdsville track. Had a look in the visiors book and saw the last entry in the book was that days date. Noted the surname and that they were from Adelaide, intended to check the phone book when we were passing through there in a few weeks time. Motored on up the track and about an hour later came across a vehicle towing a caravan. Across the back of the van were the first names of the couple towing the van and the uhf channel that they monitored. The first names matched the initials we had noted from the visitors book at Claytons Bore so I called them up and said giday Dave and asked him if he had the time, Dave came back and said he did, silence, I then asked him if he could tell me the time and he says.... "Ive......lost me watch. We stopped, had a natter and handed his wife's last Christmas pressie back to him.
AnswerID: 283602

Reply By: Louie the fly - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:35

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:35
Found a cheque from the ATO for $3000 near Tenterfield. Went to hand it in at the police but it was closed. So I looked up the name in the phone book, found an address and posted it. Put my business card in with it but never heard anything.

If I could have cashed it I would've.
AnswerID: 283606

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:49

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 20:49
If anyone finds a pair of reading glasses in the Kulkyne, a blue polar fleece cardigan at Deibel Hills, a blue bum bag with a digital camera and a set of nissan keys between Broome and Cape Leveque, 14 bars of soap, 4 bottles of shampoo and two towels at various locations around Australia, could you ring the bloke I was travelling with last year! Thanks.

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283609

Reply By: HGMonaro - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:28

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:28
I thought I'd lost my water filler cap but I had a look on the gas bottle where I usually sit it when filling the tank and there it was... it had stayed there all day!
AnswerID: 283637

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:44

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:44
Left a nice looking watch in a caravan park shower block in Portorgutta in July. Actually got caught by Member Lucy asking about it at the office. The office said a watch had been handed in, and asked me to describe it. I said Chinese branded Rolex and they didn't believe me until I said it had a broken winder and the said, yes, that was it, but couldn't believe it was Chinese
AnswerID: 283641

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:47

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 22:47
Hi Moose - We found a table once - or bits of deal along the road on the way to Exmouth which we recognised was once table. We were tenting, and a second table would have been nice; one for cooking and one for dining, so we went back and collected the bits. Being slats, mostly unbroken, it could be re-assembled quite easily.

We then drove up the scenic Charles Knife road and on the way down the hill, stopped at a good vantage point for photos (pre digi-cameras so was conservative about wasting film back then).

As we stopped, a dusty old Cruiser heading up the track stopped on the other side. As my husband went to the south side view, i lined up the view on the other side of the road. The man looked to the south, and the lady to the north. Then they noticed their table had gone from their roof rack.

"We've lost our table" he said "No you haven't" my husband replied, and the conversation sort of repeated itself.

Meanwhile on the other side of the track the lady said similar, adding "it was my mother's table - we've had it for years' "no you haven't lost it" i said "yes we have" etc.

They had been travelling through the station tracks and had only been on the bitumen (something they tried to avoid) for a few kilometres. They could not believe their luck that we had found it and collected all the pieces.

Now we have a bigger table! I hope they are still doing the back tracks with mother's trusty old dusty table.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283642

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:31

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:31
I found an SLR Ricoh Camera with a Pelicase waterproof case. Brand new also had a flash and a zoom. Had it valued at $600 at the time lol. The initials were B.H.P. Brian Henry ?????
AnswerID: 283659

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:04

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:04
Moose,

The things that I have found,
Tent pegs
Maps
Long handle shovel
A spare tyre and bracket from under a 80 Series
A few people that were lost
But the most important thing that I have found is my way home after each trip.

Wayne
AnswerID: 283662

Reply By: aka - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:02

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:02
tap connectors at every caravan park
AnswerID: 283675

Reply By: deserter - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:53

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:53
Found a large roll of new fencing wire in the middle of the road out the back of Cobar. Found a 35mm camera at the base of Big Red. Had the film developed to see if I could identify anything to contact someone but no such luck.
AnswerID: 283722

Sponsored Links