suspension

Submitted: Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 00:33
ThreadID: 53886 Views:1710 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
putting a camper on the back of my triton cab/chassis 4x4 all up including gear it will weigh around 550kgs--not sure if i should beef up the suspension or not --any ideas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: splits - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:21

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:21
Rambo 7

If your Triton is anything like my single cab 03 Hilux then 550 kgs will not worry it. It should carry hundreds more than that.

I have a camper that weighs 500 fully loaded and I tried it out in the Victorian High Country a few weeks ago. I drove over all the usual tracks like Blue Rag, Billy Goat, Staircase etc and it did it easily on stock suspension and standard 205 x 16 tyres running factory recommended pressures. Its looks good side on and does not hang down at the back.

I am a firm believer in modifying on a needs basis. If it does what you want in stock form then leave it alone. If it won't then make whatever changes are necessary.

Try it first then decide. Keep in mind though that if you do fit heavier springs then take the camper off, it will sure let you know all about it.Mine is firm enough with nothing but its aluminium tray on the back. I would hate to be in the thing if it had heavier springs.

Brian
AnswerID: 283654

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:59

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:59
rambo7,

I recently had a Triton Dual Cab for 16mths, and took it off road for a week with the family. It had new Pedders suspension installed before I bought it (the heaviest they could supply so I'm told) and with 700kgs of family and crap, it was less than an inch from the rear bump stops - but did survive the trip.

I would recommend getting Lovels fitted which will cost very little more than other places as I believe they can supply heavy duty raised for the tritons.

So if you stick to tar, and the suspension is good now - save your money - if you need more height then look at air bags (around $800). But if off road is your aim, get ready to spend $2500 as it will be worth every cent.

PS - The Tritons are a very capable off road vehicle and I have wiped the smerk off a few Cruiser owners on trips.
AnswerID: 283655

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 17:33

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 17:33
rambo,

If your suspension is otherwise OK, consider adding Polyair's.

There is a model for both coil spring and leaf spring suspension.

You can run as low a 5 psi when unloaded, then pump them up a bit when towing.

550kgs doesn't sound a lot though it will depend mostly on how much draw bar weight is applied. Wait until you have tried towing the camper and make the decision then. You may not need anything at all.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283768

Sponsored Links