Rodeos copping it too still

Submitted: Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 22:26
ThreadID: 53903 Views:2302 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

off bush tomorrow to the Taralga Rodeo and then some other tracks into the sticks.

This year will be different due to the Equine Infuenza still impacting horse movements in NSW. The Rodeo will go for just the one day and there will be no Saddle Bronc etc.

Anyway, I am sure the country town spirit will prevail and it will be another ripper weekend.

Support the Rodeo cct where you can, it is great fun for all ages and valuable indeed.

Rodeo Calendar

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 23:30

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 23:30
Was gonna go seeing that I havent been for a few yrs...last time was in 2001....too long...been to nowra one each yr...its almost always on my birthday so its a good b'day present....

hope you enjoy it....gonna try and get to it again one of these years!!

Laura
AnswerID: 283818

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 00:10

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 00:10
Bushfix
Like Rodeo's eh, check this out.

Curio of Marrabel

Official Marrabel Website

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283827

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 00:21

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 00:21
geez I'm still up so got your reply Doug.

yes indeed, the romance of the rodeo. and the right timing for a brilliant photo, just beautiful work.

still have never seen a bull like Chainsaw but I always loved the saddle bronc the best.

thanks for the links.
FollowupID: 548499

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:20

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:20
Bushfix,

We love rodeo and when we go on our trips we try to find what's on where we're going.

The Birchip Rodeo used to be held on my in laws property in Birchip years ago. It no longer runs but it was great fun.

I could watch the roping and bull dogging for hours and I love the bare back riders when they lie back and spur...the saddle bronc can be poetry in motion and the bull riding is pure power. We saw Chainsaw once for a mini second!! It only took that long for him to get rid of the rider. The best bull ride I ever saw was Jack Woodall at Swan Hill Rodeo. It was brilliant.

I've been to Mt Isa Rodeo twice and that's a great spectacle. If you get up near Townsville they put on a good show at Black River. They're all good though.

Back to Curio....that poem always gets to me & I don't know it all but it ends like this:
" So stand up Australia, Alan Woods was his name, he rode Curio of Marrabel"

Viv

AnswerID: 283831

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 10:02

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 at 10:02
Football to many is the greatest sport on earth. Many are passionate about motor sport, some will go out of their way for a good tennis match, unfortunately for the rodeo circuit, public opinion is slowly closing many of them down due to acts of cruelty and mishandling being inflicted upon some animals. Rodeos have always been a great part of the bush and a fascination for city slickers but it would seem that their days are numbered and slowly but surely they will cease to exist. I'm sure that country communities will find alternative entertainment and fund raising methods in time. We're a pretty resilient mob.
AnswerID: 283841

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:41

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:41
A successful single day rodeo for Taralga, bar some injuries. Some lady decided to try and leap a barrel (44) and disclocated her leg. A rider had a bull land on his leg and compound fracture it. A more dangerous event, trying to remove a ribbon from a bull's neck (for $500a) resulted in a serious bull kick to the head. A decsion was made to bring in the chopper to Taralga instead of using the ambulance present. However, the chopper broke down and did not depart Taralga until the next morning, the rider was taken by ambo to hospital, hope he is okay.

There was motorbike barrel races, then the phone throwing competition, which was a new event due to time with the closure of the CDMA network so it was planned that everyone could chuck their CDMA phones, not to be so a cordless was used. Poddy calves, the steers, then the big boys, the bulls. Sheep dog trials and manual clipper shearing demonstrations were outside the arena as well as great live entertainment etc.

With my four in tow, I had to leave well before it finished but I think it went until around 0100. A great day with stock from Moruya and Yass. One of the bull clowns was nine time world champion and truly wonderful to watch his skill and courage.

Sunday we visited some friends and tootled about to Swallowtail pass on the Tarlo and checked out the historical Bannaby Woolshed, erected in 1886. A debrief at the pub then lamb roast on the fire that night with home brews as the comfort zone was stretched to the limit once again.

!MPG:28!

!MPG:29!
AnswerID: 284299

Sponsored Links