Fishing Northern WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 23:51
ThreadID: 54026 Views:3544 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading to the Kimberley Region and want some info about fishing (Cape Leveque, Middle Lagoon, Barn Hill, Cape Keraudren) and then down as far as Kalbarri over a 2 month period. Just wondering, with relatively limited time as to and whether it is worth dragging a 3.75m tinny across from Qld. (Vs hire or borrowed boats!?!)

Also keen to find out whether snorkelling is good at these places.

Any other great campsites also appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Bundy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:01

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:01
If you come at this time of the year use a uv suit for jellyfish. we have a particularly nasty one at this time of the year.
Your own boat at Cape Leveque, Broome and Eighty mile beach would be handy.
AnswerID: 284434

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:41

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:41
Sqizzy

Thanks for that. We will be there around end July/early August and I am contemplating as to whether it is worth lugging the tinny across from here in Bundy.

I was also going to see if I can buy a tinny somewhere in Broome...I am sure there are a few lying around.

We will be staying in Kunnanurra for aoround a week as well...any good spots around your way? (Camping/fishing etc) fishnboat@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 549577

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:09

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:09
When are you traveling?

As March is a good time for the run off in the Top End.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 284435

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:43

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:43
Thanks mate.

Leaving Bundy early July and heading straight across to Timber Creek for the 'start' of the holiday. Hoping to get to Broome around mid/late July and then Cape L/Middle L and then on down the coast.

What do you reckon about the fishing then?

Bundy
FollowupID: 549580

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:46

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:46
your tinny is perfect for Barn Hill........in fact almost essential for good fishing.....still reasonable beach fishing to be had without

as for Kalbarri the tinny is ideal for excellent river excursions and some limited fishing in the river.........most of Kalbarri fishing is in the ocean ....good onshore fishing around breakaways, cliffs etc..........tinny definately not suitable in those outside waters.....the river mouth can also very very tricky....have had the tinny outside just for a quick look on a perfect day...not recomended
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284471

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:49

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:49
forgot to add Coral Bay on your list...perfect for tinny and unsurpased for snorkelling as are a lot of places down the Exmouth coast.....highly recomended area
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 549246

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:46

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:46
Thanks mate...sounds like it is worth the trouble as I keen to get the kids snorkelling where I can as well. We hope to egt down as far as kalbarri and then across the GCC. Any secret spots you'd like to share? Wwe are fully self sufficient. fishnboat@bigpond.com

Cheers

Bundy
FollowupID: 549582

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:33

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 12:33
Yes - bring the tinny!!
There is great diving at Leveque on the spring low tdes between the tip of the cape and the island - just walk out there from the shore at the bottom of the tide (I speared a few big Bluebone there a couple of years ago) - Not sure if i would dive there this time of the year though... Even if not diving, chuck lures around. If you are travelling shortly there are plenty of Barra in the creeks around Karratha - Perfect for the 3.75. The islands around Dampier all provide shelter from the wind - Flying Foam Passage would be a great place to have a look around..
Between Exmouth and Coral Bay there are a heap of great places for the 3.75 - mostly protected on the inside of the reef and too hard to hire or borrow a boat to use - you will be spewing if you dont take it there (camp on the beach at South Lefroy Bay)
AnswerID: 284491

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:48

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:48
Thanks mate. Appreciate the info, esp lefroy Bay. We are hoping to get away from the tourist strips where we can as well and are looking for some less known places.

Bundy
FollowupID: 549583

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:36

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:36
G'day mate. What month/s you going in? Can only comment about May. 80 Mile Beach is excellent for threadfin salmon and even I caught some. A couple of guys went up the beach to a river mouth and caught a couple that came in at 14kg gutted.
Cape Leveque was hopeless absolutely no fish to be had except the odd small travelly and some blue bone. Rocks off the beach were claiming huge amounts of fishing gear (cost me a fortune in lead). Nobody was catching anything. The water apparently was still too cold and the wind was a bugger as well.
Was told that Middle Lagoon wasn't fishing much better. Tried Hunter Creek at Cp Leveque. Beautiful clear water and got a huge bite and that was it.Well worth the drive if nothing else.

If in Kalbarri use the tinny in the river only don't venture out through the river mouth otherwise you could end up a statistic.
Fishing charters are available in all the tourist centres including the Cape.

Have fun. Wish it was me.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 284578

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:49

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:49
Dunc

Thanks for the info. We'll be there end July, August and early Sept.

Bundy
FollowupID: 549584

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:54

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:54
Bundy, we were up that way in May / June 2006. Did not take the boat on that trip, but did a bit of beach fishing. At Broome, we got Salmon and a lot of school sharks on Pilchards. At Middle Lagoon, there were heaps of Whiting. Prawns were best bait. Also lovely mud crabs in the creek at the South End of the Beach. You can walk in at low tide as the water clears out entirely. But geez, is it ever full of Midges.
Middle Lagoon is also good for snorkeling off the rocks at the North end.Middle Lagoon is well worth a visit.

Barn Hill we got a couple of Salmon on Pilchards, but we were not greatly impressed with the place (though the beach is nice).

Cape Leveque no good at all for fish, but a nice visit, particularly a low tide walk around the Cape. Fabulous rock formations.

Have a great trip. We are heading back to the Gulf this winter and will hopefully spend several weeks (at least) at King Ash Bay chasing Barra, Mangrove Jacks, Mud Crabs, Prawns etc. It's a tough life, but we make the sacrifice.

!MPG:27!!MPG:26!
AnswerID: 284583

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:54

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:54
Nrom C
hanks for the info. e'll be there late July and into August with a return to Qld early Sept.

Enjoy the gulf. We had a two week stay at Borroloola and had a great time. Based ourselves in the McArthur River caravan park in town and had access to the mouth of the creek at Bing Bong (turn right and follow the fence line along at the entrance), on Bing Bong itself after catching up with the caretaker, the salt and fresh sections of the Macarthur in Borroloola itself as well as King Ash Bay and we we even laucnhed the tinnies down the steep bank at the crossing on the way into Merlin Mine and caught a few barra (double hookup). Next time we go we will probably use the dongas in the caravan park as they were fully set up and air conditioned. We thought it may be easier than carrying all the gear. Pub was also good for a meal and the servos had chickens and groceries. Have a great trip...let me know how you go.

Bundy
fishnboat@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 549586

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:58

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:58
G'day Bundy, a tinny is the way to go. You will kick yourself if you don't go through the hassles of towing.A small wheel trailer would be a mistake.Hope you fishing lines will be tight.
All the best LOS
AnswerID: 284585

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:56

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:56
Thanks mate. We are looking forward to the trip...

bundy
FollowupID: 549587

Reply By: Member - Ben E (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 22:52
Gday Bundy,
From the beach, Cape leveque in May/June of last year went mental with Queenies and more than a few randoms particularly near the creek mouth.
Obviously, keep an eye out for the snappy fella's.
Either way, I would imagine the tinnie will be an advantage should you take it.
Cheers,
Benno
AnswerID: 284627

Follow Up By: Bundy - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:57

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:57
Benno

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will need to take the tinny r suffer from withdrawal symptoms!

Bundy
FollowupID: 549588

Sponsored Links