Mount Augustus

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:46
ThreadID: 54027 Views:1982 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip for next July when we will be in parts of the Pilbara. We plan on driving from Auski via Wittenoom and possibly through to Tom Price.

What is the road like from Tom Price to Mount Augustus via Ashburton Downs Meekathara Road, Pingandy Road and Dooley Downs Road to Mt Augustus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:27
G'day Trekkie,

2wd from memory, although the usual caution to be given if it has been or is a bit wet. Nice country but a lot of roos/emus to watch out for. Climb the rock if you have time, magnificent views.
AnswerID: 284461

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 13:37
I was in that area October last year. All roads were in real good condition. We towed our dual axle camper, and apart from a few stones peppering the camper's guards, no worries at all.

Worth the climb to the top, but get a early morning start ie. 6 am, and carry plenty of water, wear good walking boots.
AnswerID: 284505

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 14:40

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 14:40
Drove that trek last November. Pingandy/Dooley Downs Road in reasonable condition & you need to watch your speed as there are quite a few sharp bends with loose gravel otherwise you should have no problems. They were doing the road up as yoiu approach Mt. Augustus Homestead which should be fixed by now. Fuel(diesel) at Mt. Augustus was $2.50 a litre so I would advise keeping some in reserve if you have the range. Would hate to what the price will be in 6 mths time. Cheers.
AnswerID: 284526

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 16:42

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 16:42
Trekkie
did the trip in july 07, but the other way, came in from Carnarvon through to Tom Price. as the guys above have said, good road, almost 2wd, just loose gravel. great trip.
yep climb the hill, yes take plenty of water.
allow @ least 3.0 hours up & 2.5 down.
cheers Tom
AnswerID: 284537

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:24
G'day Trekkie in May 06 we were the first non local vehicle on the track after it was opened after the wet. Track in the main was 2wd but the dips and floodways were a bit of a bugger the grader operator had stuffed up the levels and there were huge ridges on them that were like square edged kerbs. Lucky I didn't blow a tyre or 2 or even stuff the suspension. The Ashburton River crossing was only about 400mm deep.
If using a road map the road junction at the Ashburton Rv and homestead no longer exists even though the map book tells you so.
Watch out for station horses around Dooly Downs and Asburton Stn.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 284577

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:49
G'day Trekkie You will enjoy Mt Augustus. The aboriiginal cook there knocked a pretty good evening meal after he served petrol and diesel and did many other jobs around the place.
You could think about coming back via Kennedy Ranges and Gascoyne Juction.The ranges are worth seeing.The roads and tracks are ok.
enjoy your trip

All the best LOS
AnswerID: 284582

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:50
Bushfix, Tony, Topcat, TomV, Duncan W, Los Bush, Thanks for your replies - yep I will do that from Tom Price and will climb The Mount. We did Uluru several years ago and I hear there is more and more pressure NOT to climb Uluru, so Mount Augustus could be the only one left to climb
AnswerID: 284614

Sponsored Links