Talk about bad luck!

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:45
ThreadID: 54060 Views:3169 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
2008 has got off to a bad start for me.
Cruiser broke down on Xmas eve, called RAC; diagnosed starter contacts. Booked in January for repair, forked out $. 2 days later window smashed and GPS stolen. Window covered by insurance but new GPS not as it is not part of the car.
2 days later Cruiser broke down again, same problem. Booked in again and cost more $ to replace plunger.
2 days later, my daughters Barina (same car park) got window smashed and GPS stolen. Different insurance company, cover GPS, BUT because she is under 25, excess is $400.
Today, Cruiser broke down again, same problem, but this time while in an auto elecys getting a battery monitor fitted (thanks Derek!). Paid again to have the starter contacts replaced.
Tomorrow is the start of Feb. I hope that is all my bad luck for the year in one month.
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:55

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 23:55
Might be even more bad luck if your hopin for tomorrow to be FEBRUARY.

Sorry to hear about your woes but youve still got one more day of january to go and i hope its the best of them.

MAtt
AnswerID: 284633

Reply By: Member - BIGDOG G (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:24

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:24
G'day Steve,
Really sorry to hear about the damage and theft, Just makes me sick.
Really concerned about my new 70 with permanent fitted UHF, HF, GPS , MP3 and shiploads of other stuff.

Its bad enough the damage and theft, but also the inconvenience.

Cheers..................BIGDOG
AnswerID: 284636

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:28

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:28
What a bummer...sounds like me...

Can you please tell us where the car park was so none of us park there :)

Hope things improve Oh Ghost who walks

AnswerID: 284637

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:29

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:29
Better let us know who ya auto sparkie is, so we dont go there!
AnswerID: 284638

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 09:48

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 09:48
Agreed - 3 goes at repairing a starter, gotta be a crap sparkie. Then again, he's smart, gets paid 3 times for the one job.
FollowupID: 549430

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:21

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:21
best to have 3 goes at paying him once I reckon?
FollowupID: 549603

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:29

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:29
Where was the carpark, Kit?

Bet it was The Galleria in Morley.

'Bout time you ventured into town to strike fear into the hearts of mortal men.

Let a few of those maroons see your face, then die.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 284639

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:30

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:30
"Bet it was The Galleria in Morley".
Sounds like a good guess 'cos my son had a window smashed and radar detector pinched while parked there for a short time.
The thieving bar*tards are very quick.
Not a good place to park but what choice is there if you live nearby or shop there?
Seems to me they should spend some of their massive earnings on upgrading their security.
Alan.

FollowupID: 549440

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:34

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:34
Who? Centro??

ROFLMAO bigtime. Their share price went from about $10 tp 30 cents. They are stuffed.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549573

Reply By: Andrea11 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:43

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:43
Hi Steve,

It is a real pain in the B** when things like that happen, we too have had a bad start to the yr with regards to our Landrover Discovery........We discovered a ticking noise in the motor took the car to Landrover and they listened and the responce from the mechanic was Mnn,Mnn.......and proceeded to tell us that it could be a big end bearing and it would cost anywhere from $4500.00 to $7000.00 to fix we nearly dropped dead on the spot......We have since found a mechanic that will do the job for much less than what landrover quoted.......The only good thing to come out of this nasty expensive situation is that we are glad this didn't happen on our trip up through the NT, then we would have really had something to complain about...
AnswerID: 284684

Reply By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:59

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:59
Mine was broken into in January too!! GPS Stolen.
The insurance company paid for the glass.
Just as a warning for others, the insurance company told me that in the last 6 months, windows smashes to steal GPS units have increased by 600%.
They warned me that they look at:
If you got a bracket then GPS is inside somewhere...
If no bracket but there is a suction cap mark on the windscreen, they also brake into it to find GPS or Ipod.
In mine, I had other more valuable stuff but they only stole my old GPS which was not valued at that much these days (bought it in 2003 but they did not take a 5 Watt hand held UHF valued at more than the GPS...
AnswerID: 284686

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:41

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:41
Story in SMH few days ago, 30 a day go missing in Paramatta area...

Thieves zero in on easy money from GPS units
Angela Cuming

Most Viewed Articles

Castle Hill
Sun up the club shuts - come Christmas it's gone
It's bus boom time
Black Hawk helicopters fast-track fodder drops
Young leader kept busy
Pregnant offered support

Life is Local
Axe falls on Defence IT jobs [Canberra]
Fears on ACT sex worker's HIV trail [Canberra]
Murder possible in ex-champ's death [National]
Foul-up behind cricket let-off [Canberra]
Tragic: Kevin's XI in Manuka meltdown [Canberra]

SMASH and grab attacks are on the rise and thieves are targeting Sydney cars fitted with global positioning systems (GPS) which cost up to $1300.

The high-tech gadgets that give satellite-assisted verbal directions have been popular with motorists.

In Parramatta, police figures put the number of GPS thefts at as many as 30 a day.

Police said GPS devices are an easy bit of hardware to off-load at pawn shops.

Liverpool local area commander Detective Superintendent Mick Plotecki said GPS thefts were a big problem in his area.

"You wouldn't leave $500 in your car so I don't know why people leave these things in their cars," he said.

Vehicle owners who tried to out-smart thieves by hiding their GPS unit in the glove box or under the seat were fighting a losing battle, Superintendent Plotecki said.

"We are finding that the thieves just look for the suction marks on the window where it has been stuck up. So even though they can't see the GPS unit, they know it is somewhere inside the car.

"The only real thing a driver can do is wipe down the window every time they take the GPS unit off.

"First it was mobile phones, then iPods, and now these."

Superintendent Plotecki suggested drivers stick to an old-fashioned street directory.

Police in south-west Sydney are also battling a huge surge in "drive-off" fuel theft, triggered by skyrocketing petrol prices. The petrol theft has been linked to the underground trade in stolen registration plates, which has risen at the same rate as bowser larcenies.

NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research figures show petrol theft, or service station fraud, has increased by 33 per cent since mid-2004, from 9163 incidents a year to more than 12,900.

In the same period, numberplate thefts rose by a third.

"You can tell when petrol prices rise because we see an increase in the instances of the theft of numberplates," Superintendent Plotecki said.

"They steal a numberplate, put it on their car and then go and steal a tank of fuel.

"When you consider that some people are driving a car that takes $100 to fill the tank, then you can see why some people think it is worth their while."

Superintendent Plotecki said a prepaid system introduced at 24 petrol stations in his area command had reduced petrol theft by more than 90 per cent in the past year.

Source:sunherald.com
AnswerID: 284691

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:44

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:44
Hi Phantom, Sorry to hear about your bad start to the year. At what carpark did you lose your and your daughter lose the GPS?

When I was researching for GPSs I found one that automatically recedes into the dash when the car is switched off, it was this feature that sold it for us. As GPSs are concerned it probably is not the top of the line but it certaintly does the job for us and we are more than happy with it, and as for these thieves they wouldn't even know it was there.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 284703

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:54

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:54
Dunworkin any chance you can call into the Shire offices so I can have a look at the model of GPS you've got it sounds interesting?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549552

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:15

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:15
I'll send you a MM

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549568

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:54

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:54
Thanks all for the comments.
The car park is adjoining the Reading Cinema/Performing Arts Centre in Mandurah. Apparently someone saw them take mine. Pulled up in a white commodore, one jumped out smashed the window grapped the GPS and gone in about 20 seconds. Left a new camera on the seat and cash in the tray.
I also forgot to mention that some pr&@k snapped my uhf antenna yesterday as well.
Steve
AnswerID: 284708

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:32

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:32
Hi Phantom, did the people who saw the theft get the car rego or aren't they game to say???????????

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549496

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:37

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:37
That's a bit close to home Kit. I live in Mandurah.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549575

Follow Up By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:10

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:10
Hey Gone Bush,
How come I've never seen you around?
Steve
FollowupID: 549616

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:28

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:28
I've sent you an MM.

Basically, when the Ghost Who Walks comes to town I keep out of sight.

Are you going to the VKS Gathering in Albany over Easter?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549618

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:45

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:45
Hello there Phantom, I quess you have got "DEVIL on the trail of those thieving Bastards. if he needs any help he could always call "REX",he will be on TV tonight. Go Devil LOS

AnswerID: 284747

Sponsored Links