Novogo Gps

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:03
ThreadID: 54061 Views:2337 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just a Question for all the GPS nuts out there I have just seen in the shop section the Novogo series of GPS units and was wondering if the are a good unit.
This will mainly be used when touring and exploring new places not as a street pilot are they compatible with Oztopo/Shonkey mapping and Oziexplorer.
I do not have a GPS yet and still am unsure on which way is best to go but I would like a larger screen than what is available with the Magellan range and am considering the Garmin Nuvi 760 because I would like the breadcrumb trail function but the price of the Novogo series is tempting.
Thanks for any replies in advance.

Clint
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:35

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:35
Looking at the specifications, they do not appear to be compatable with OziExplorer. OziExplorer requires an Operating System that runs Windows Mobile. To my knowledge, only PDA's provide this option.

It may be OK as a stand-alone Navigator but for the price, there is better options available in the Garmin range.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284647

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:07
A number of the dedicated routing GPS devices run windows CE "under the lid". On some of them people have managed to oziexplorer running by installing ozi on a sd card replacing the one that comes with the device. However, it is not a task for the faint hearted. There is information available on the 'net how to do it.

One GPS devices I am aware of that had been done to cost the owner about $200 from Ebay, including route 66 for Australia so it is a cheap way for running ozi.

This is a example of the documentation available on the net

http://www.mantrackinguniversity.com/Articles/Magellan_Maestro_3100_Enhancement_Instructions.pdf
FollowupID: 549435

Reply By: Izey76 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:49

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:49
Thanks for the replies Guys I wasn't thinking of running Ozi on the GPS but on my laptop and was wondering wether it would comunicate with Ozi to download track files/waypoint etc.

Clint
AnswerID: 284792

Sponsored Links