Apsley Falls, Walcha

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 14:14
ThreadID: 54078 Views:3448 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has any info on Apsley Falls near Walcha in NSW. Intending to visit for easter and would like a heads up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 14:41

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 14:41
From a Google search:
From Walcha, the magnificent Apsley Gorge is only 20 km east along the Oxley Highway. A stairway down into the gorge lets you get a great view of the waterfall.

If you follow the Oxley Walk across the river, you can look down on a second waterfall almost as goods as the first. There are picnic tables, BBQ's, toilets, walking tracks, lookout platforms, an informative display and a camping ground. Bring your own water or get it from the river.
AnswerID: 284726

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 15:33

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 15:33
Its pretty much as Moose has said. We have camped there a couple of times in recent years. The campground is fairly new and the toilet block is good - toilet only, no shower. I think the campground was free, but for that reason is well used, so you might have to get in early for an Easter spot. I think the would be about 15 sites, and most have their own fireplace - not much wood though. The gorge is magnificent and there are a couple of walks to do.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 549491

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:17

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:17
Had the good fortune to visit Apsley Falls November just past after a very good rainfall. magnificent! The water going over the falls together with the windblown mist. had to be seen to be believed.

In dry weather it may be just so. Even then, not a bad place to camp.You will need to take in your own firewood if you wish to rake advantage of the well designed/built fireplaces/camp spots.

Ian
FollowupID: 549541

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 15:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 15:07
Member message John T . He knows the area pretty well .
Willie .
AnswerID: 284731

Reply By: Kimbo - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 15:49

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 15:49
Hi Algee

Apsley falls is a very popular spot and if it is full of campers another alternative which isnt used as much is Tia falls just a little further down the rd and IMO is a better camping spot and less used.
This is a free camp spot and little bit of dirt rd that can be negotiated very easily

Regards
Kimbo
AnswerID: 284735

Reply By: Middle Jeff - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:56

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:56
Hi Algee

About 40 minutes away is a great camping area in Werrikmbe National Park and if you go to Mooraback camping area you will have a great spot. I have done this a few times, we go up through Wauchope and out past the falls and then down the bushrangers way.

Lots of walks ( Platypus ) and a good drive to Wilson river wilderness area.

Have fun

Craig
AnswerID: 284795

Sponsored Links