air con motor clunk...

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 20:26
ThreadID: 54092 Views:1843 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all been a while since i have been here but back with yet another question for you...Anyone who has seen my past post will realise that myself my partner and our son are traveling around the block for 9months ...We are currently near port lincoln in sa having left sydney on dec 1st... And about to get ready to cross the nullabor and guess what happens good old murphy makes an appearance....Hows about crossing the nullabor in feb with no aircon... We are driving an ef futura s/wagon and the aircon motor has packed it in today no sign of refrigerant loss but when i started the car this arvo there was a loud clunking noise coming from the aircon compressor only apparent of course when the aircon was on and the aircon compressor clutch engaged????WTF? after the initial panic and realizing it was the air con motor and not anything else i arrived home(our campsite near coffin bay) to have a closer inspection the aircon motor was not engaging at all by this stage.a safety mechanism i think but the bearing has spewed oil out everywhere...Anyway murphy wins this round anyone have any ideas on how much its going to cost to fix?,whether a reco aircon motor is necessary...after replacement is re-gasing required anything at all really cos i am in the dark on this 1 and would like to have air con b4 i cross the bor...cheers Boe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: donks1 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:11

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:11
hi there

an aftermarket compressor for a falcon should be around the $350.00 mark. thats fitted and with new gas.( needs to be replaced ) most auto elecs. will be able to this and will probably have it in stock

donks
AnswerID: 284822

Follow Up By: nthshorelad - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:27

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:27
thnks donk iwas thinking around that mark cheers again for your quick reply
FollowupID: 549607

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:31

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:31
Yeap $350.00 is on the mark for a secondhand compressor that may last you 6 months fitted by a back yarder or wrecker using your old reciever drier, old TX valve, old o'rings and not flushing your systems....they may even be able to use your old gas.

For that price they may even give you a 1 hour warranty!

Most back yarder or wreckers will be able to this and will probably have it in stock.

Yeap I'd go the $350 one for sure.

FollowupID: 549658

Reply By: Member - Josh B (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:16

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:16
when your air con is engaged it turns a pump inside of it which has gas and usually a type of oil. if this is leaking your pump is R.S. if you get a new or recon one you will have to regas after. as for cost cant help sorry but if you can get a pump and fit your self you could save a few bucks there. good luck
AnswerID: 284825

Follow Up By: whyallacookie - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:03

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:03
The short drive to Lincoln will also help save you a few $$$
FollowupID: 549744

Reply By: nthshorelad - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:34

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:34
Got it sorted not too cheap though but new compressor new tx valve new gas ,warranty ,new receiver dryer system flush and pressure test all done by raa approved repairer just shy of 1000 bucks ..Sound right to you all ? Last one lasted 13 years so hopefully get at least 15 outta this 1 thats the thing with these new one drive belt systems if ya aircon goes you have to fix it i used to like the good old 3belt days where if the aircon went ya just unhook the belt and away ya go oh well i got air con back and swmbo and my little boy are happy!
AnswerID: 285039

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 16:43

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 16:43
Good to see you got it done right.

Most new vehicles have one belt driving everything, EL-EF Falcons have a big problem with them seizing compressors and over heating the pulley bearing.....most common time for this to happen is at the start of a long week end or a Saturday arvo.

Trucks are going the same way too.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 549960

Sponsored Links