Wheel clearance to prevent tyre rubbing on a CT

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:06
ThreadID: 54195 Views:3246 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
My used camper trailer came with 5 stud 16" (Land Rover?) wheels, and for convenience, I am in the process of changing hubs and wheels to 6 stud 16" suit the Jackaroo.
My problem has arisen with the Rover wheel offset of approx 120mm, wheras the jackaroo has 140mm.
I put the new hubs on, but the tyres rub on the trailer sides.
I am looking for help to see what a minimum gap between the tyre and trailer would be acceptable, to determine whether spacers would work if there is such a thing, but this would only allow about 6mm gap, or am I up for a new axle?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:08

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:08
Get an new axle they must be less than $150.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 285369

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:22

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:22
Gday

You could always cut your axle in the centre and add a piece.
If your not up to doing this youself or cant get a mate to do it your cheapest option would be like Steve said and buy a new one.

Cheers
AnswerID: 285374

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:25

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:25
As for the gap...Id like to have at least 50mm.
Set your tyres on the trailer to suit your car if possible. Otherwise line them up so they are just inside the gaurds and see how much clearence that will give you.
FollowupID: 550202

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:50

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 16:50
Hi Ian, had exactly the same problem with my C/t & fitting Jack rims. The cure cost $90, yep, a longer axle. Not sure of your state..got mine from All State Trailer Spares at Wyong NSW.
Added 40mm each side. Will still take original 15 by 8 rims as well.
cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 285381

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:11

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:11
Luckily, when I changed rims on my CT, I had more clearance.

While you are thinking about a new axle as above, have you checked to see if there is any difference in track width car to CT?

Might be useful if you can make them the same.
AnswerID: 285418

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:05

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:05
You could also try some Nissan or Toyota rims, if you are not concerned about using the trailer rims on the car.

But the easiest way would definately be the longer axle, you could take it to a trailer place and let them do it for you.

I had the axle on the Kart trailer moved rearwards by 200mm at a trailer place, cost $50 and he had to move the guards as well as weld on new shackle eyes.

I had the re-assurance that the job had been done to roadworthy specifications as well.
AnswerID: 285433

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 00:18

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 00:18
Gerhard,

???

The 6 stud 16x7 Toyota rims fit the Jack no worries.
They have the same offset, the only difference I have found is that different nuts are required as the original Jackaroo ones to suit the alloy rims are not suitable for a steel rim.

I carry a spare set of standard wheel nuts in case I need to use the spare from the camper (steel rims) on the Jackaroo.

Hmm, I just had a flash.
I may need a spare set of alloy wheel nuts also, in case I need to use the spare from the jack (alloy) on the camper.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 550370

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:51

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:51
I have a set of Toyota 6 stud rims in the back yard (courtesy of son who has lost interest in them), but the offset is not the same as the Jack. I tried one, and would need 2" flares to be legal.

Your flash has just reminded me that my plan was to use the Jack spare on the trailer if required, but I had no spare mag nuts either.

Probably would have tried taking 2 off each trailer wheel and kept a careful eye on it till the repair was done - then the thread might have been different, so probably worth checking if Jack mag nuts will screw on to your trailer :)
FollowupID: 550401

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 16:04

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 16:04
Mate, interesting input on the offset difference.

Is your Jack a Monterey model?

My rims from the trailer are interchangeable with the alloys on the Jack (1999 SE) and have the same offset.

When I bought the off road trailer, I specified the wheels to be interchangeable with those on the Jack and the manufacturer stated, "no problem, they are the same as Toyota pattern rims."

These rims are also the same offset as the split rims I have on the camper, but I'm going to swap the wheels over so I have standard rims on the Camper. The splits can stay on the trailer.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 550512

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 17:39

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 17:39
I have the Monterey, but the wheels are the same as normal Jack.

When I visualise the split rims you mention, I can see they'd fit because they don't have a very deep dish at all, whereas other Toyota rims with the same stud pattern can have a much deeper dish.

Same for the Nissan rims - a friend has a set of Nissan sunraysias on his Rodeo, my Campomatic had deep dish Nissan rims.

FollowupID: 550549

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:17

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:17
Hi, and thanks for the responses.
I have talked to the local trailer store (Action Trailers, Beenleigh) who have been very helpful, and seem to be good prices, and it looks like the best fix is a new $93 heavy duty axle.
The Jackaroo is a Monterey, with the pretty alloys, but they do have the same offset as the RT Rodeo rims I bought.
As the trailer stands now, with the too short axle, I have the same wheel track as the Jack, but that will have to change now.
The whole change over was for vehicle/trailer spare wheel interchangability.
The next size axle is 50mm longer which should give me approx 20mm clearance each side, which is pretty much what the old Rover wheels were, but I am thinking of going an extra 25mm each side.
The trailer guards will just cover the tyres, so everything should be fine for a trip in April to the corner country.
Cheers, and thanks
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 285929

Sponsored Links