Kangaroo Island After the Fires

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:04
ThreadID: 54258 Views:1802 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of visiting KI next month. How much damage was done to the bush by the fires in January??

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:27

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:27
I don't know what if any searches for such info that you may have carried out. If none, then have a look at this Link it may offer you some help in deciding to go or not. All accounts I've heard have been very positive and tour operators are encouraging people to continue with their plans. Just go and enjoy the solitude and beauty. You won't regret it.
AnswerID: 285745

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:45

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:45
I think Mattew Abraham and David are doing there morning show on 891 5AN (Adelaide ABC radio) from there tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. They are reporting on this precise subject-interviewing various people travelling the Island etc.

Happy Days

George
AnswerID: 285747

Reply By: Member - PJB (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:30

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:30
Hi There,

We recently spent two weeks on KI over Xmas and New Year, immediately after the fires.

Western end of KI, particularly the national Park, was closed due to road and access damage. All else was open and accessible.Check with Parks & Wildlife as thingsmight have changed.

The fires burnt around 20% of KI, but mostly inaccessible terrain, including national park. The fire damage is visible in parts but mostly out of sight or not a problem for travellers.

We camped at concil and NP sites and found most places were empty - practically everyone had stayed away!

Visit KI, enjoy the scenery, disregard hearsay and rumours as the fire has barely affected the visitor experience.

cheers,
AnswerID: 285750

Reply By: zumzum - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:38

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:38
Hi guys, I’m living in K.I. and I was part of the “team” from CFS who was called to put down the fires.
The situation here is not bad at all, the vegetation on the Flinders Chase is shooting new regroth and it is amazing how fast they are doing this ….
My suggestion? GO and enjoy! The life here is coming back, the National Park is open for business and everybody are forgetting the dramas.
Good luck!
AnswerID: 285826

Follow Up By: Bushtrek - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:17

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:17
Thanks, one and all. We are definitely going, now just need to find somewhere to stay, probably try down near Vivonne Bay,
We mainly want to do plenty of wildlife/bird watching [that's fauna type] so want to get away from the "resort style' locations.

Trust your firefighting work was not too bad Zumzum, we do a bit of that ourselves here in NSW, ........can be bloody hard work at times.

Thanks again for the advice.
FollowupID: 550832

Follow Up By: zumzum - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:15

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:15
No problem Bushtrek. I will suggest to stay at the camping near the Flinders Chase National Park, just before the entry. Good toilet and a lot of wildlife around. The one at Vivonne Bay is VERY basic and all around it was burned in decembre!
They were 4 major fire on the island: Seal Bay corner (where I was working most of the time ), Vivonne Bay, Solly (on the North Coast) and Flinders Chase.
I was there at Seal Bay the first day when it just appended ... I’m on the Kingscote Brigade and I was on call that day .... unforgettable ....
If you need moire info you can contact me by phone. I will give to you it by e-mail

Luca
FollowupID: 550861

Follow Up By: zumzum - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:16

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:16
forgot ..... llovison@internode.on.net
FollowupID: 550863

Reply By: Lyds- Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:31

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 22:31
Go! You won't regret it.

We were there the first two weeks of Jan. There was only one road in the National Park that we couldn't go on. All the "sites" were accessible.

As mentioned you do get to see what damage the fires have done, but you'll see the regeneration as well.
AnswerID: 285878

Sponsored Links