Yengo NP - Old Settlers Rd / Old Convict Rd - deep water

Submitted: Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 13:44
ThreadID: 5430 Views:3090 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just to let everyone know the entrance to this track has changed slightly at Paynes crossing - you go over a grid now rather than thru a gate and the recent rain has changed the crossing a bit - it is now deeper with at the shallow side water at the top of the head lights on the Nissan Patrol so water did just come onto the the first section of the bonnet. So be warned and it is recommended to start this track at the Paynes crossing end rather than the Putty Rd end as numerous vehicles decide they cannot cross the creek and venture onto private property looking for alternative ways out rather than back tracking all the way back to the Putty Rd. The neighbours arebleepoff because of the trespassers and they are also sick of pulling vehicles out of the creek. So walk the crossing first & if in doubt go to Wollombi for the day.
PS. I crossed the creek on 12/6/03 so the info is recent.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 14:26

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 14:26
Thanks Jeff. I was intending to do that run over the next weekend or so. Think I'll wait a while - don't want to drown an otherwise perfectly good Pathfinder.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22424

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 16:47

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 16:47
Cumon Rohan if the surf can do it so can the pathie. Regards Bob
3 Weeks till Gulf trip
FollowupID: 14778

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 17:33

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 17:33
You reckon? Jeff's Surf looks to have a good 50 mm extra height than the Pathie (at least 35 mm given the Prado running gear) AND a snorkel. I'll wait until the water drops 100 mm or so. Thanks all the same.

I wonder if Moggs will give it a go? Eh, Moggs, you up for it?Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14786

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 18:16

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 18:16
Rohan - I did it in a standard Nissan Patrol diesel. I think you should have no problems with the Pathfinder - if in doubt use a tarp. I did not walk it all but from the looks of things the left hand side looked the shallow side.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 14794

Reply By: BM - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 19:09

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 19:09
Hey Jeff,

Whats happened to the Yengo track? Its been graded and is now a highway! I almost got cleaned up by a blue 78 volvo last Monday. Actually on a serious note there was some sort of expedition,bushwalking thing being held in the park last weekend. We were unfotunate enough to be heading towards Howes trail as about 40 cars were exiting from big yengo. All of them, bar the four wheel drivers in the group were travelling at about 6o kmh. This is despite the fact that they were driving on a track with little room for passing and lots of blind turns. Worse than George st on a friday afternoon! I wonder if the participants were warned to drive slowly on the tracks?

The Volvo almost made us turn around and go home!

Cheers,

Brendan
AnswerID: 22454

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 19:30

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 19:30
Brendan, there were approx 320 kids staying at Big Yango as part of a group called Pathfinders (Church group) - kids were doing Duke of Edinburgh awards or so. I caught one bloke on the way in and stopped him and told him to slow down (Black MBW) - I announced over the radio that Peter Brock was coming thru anyway another bloke stopped him and said slow down next thing we heard he ripped off the spoiler and ran over it - Idiot. The trail to Big Yango is to be done up to 2WD standard (Werong thru to Big Y) won't get any more work for another year. Where the track heading towards Finchley gets rough again that is maintained by Cessnock Council.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 14803

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:13

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:13
Bummer (about the track being "upgraded", that is).Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14821

Follow Up By: BM - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 22:05

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 22:05
There seem to be a lot of raods up there are "maintained" by Cessnock council. Murrays Run rd springs to mind, theres one particularly nasty corner coming down from Walkers Ridge Rd. Get a bit of water on it and it turns into a ice rink. Moving up there in 3 weeks so I'll have to get used to it.

cheers
FollowupID: 14827

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 20:59

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 20:59
Beddo

You may recall that I posted a short story about my trip through Yengo 2 weekends ago and how I 'rescued' a fourby that had partially slide off the road. Well these were the organisers of the kids camp who were doing a recce prior to the actual camp. At the time the track had received a fair amount of rain and was very slippery near the Howes road turn-off.
Say no more :-)
AnswerID: 22469

Follow Up By: BM - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:48

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 21:48
Mate,

Did you carry on down the Howes track? I was wondering what the bottom section in tyhe valley near the Putty Rd end is like in the wet?

cheers

Brendan
FollowupID: 14824

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 00:02

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 00:02
Beddo

Actually it was pretty much plain sailing. I actually slept 1/2 way up Mount Yengo on the Sat night and completed the last part through to Putty on the Sunday. I thought the last section from Mnt Yengo to Putty was the best. The creek was good for washing the dirt off the wheels :-)
The only 'wet' section was that part just before the turn off to Howes
When you planning on 'doing Big Yango" ??
AnswerID: 22479

Sponsored Links