is this false advertising re the free weekend campout feb 21 + 22

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:28
ThreadID: 54321 Views:2514 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
After hearing about the free Oz wide camp out (from a thread on this forum from memory - see link below) and checking out the Family Parks web site, I thought what a great way to try out a new van park and take the 10y.o. son and head off for a boys weekend away relaxing + fishing etc away from SWMBO (x 3).

So after checking out the various parks I decided to ring and get a booking. Only 1 problem - they had never heard of the promotion and I was the first person to ring them about it, so said they would check it out and call me back. When they rang back they said they would not be participating this year.

When you check out the web page you got to think its a bit misleading when you get a response like that. So looks like the boys weekend away is now a thing of the past at this place anyway. Funny thing is I was searching for somewhere closeby in a van park to do some regular stays throughout the year with plenty of activities etc. Oh well theres always somewhere else hey so I will keep on searching.

How many of you guys been lucky enough to get a booking as part of this promotion?

free camp out link

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:41

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:41
Bit misleading....... "WHERE: All Family Parks in Australia and New Zealand"
Then their get out of jail card..... "Sites are subject to availability and park policies"
Suggest ringing main office "Phone: 1300 855 707" asking for a list of participating parks questioning their advertising if some are choosing not to.

Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 286067

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:53

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 22:53
Only problem is that before they gave me that answer, they said they had no bookings for that particular weekend so wont have any problem fitting me in. Then said she would just check with park management before booking us in as she hadnt ever heard of it before. So much for knowing whats going on.

Doesnt sound too much like it will be "Australia and New Zealand's biggest ever FREE camp-out!" with park policies like theres hey

catch u
FollowupID: 551085

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 23:41

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 23:41
Pradoz, i agree with you that it is misleading advertising, although they would be unlikely to catch anyone with the bait, as people have to ring to book so like you, they would soon find out. I note the disclaimer "Sites are subject to availability and park policies", but it is under the more prominent "All Family Parks in Australia and New Zealand".

You could complain to the ACCC, but they will only investigate if there is a volume of complaints; not on just a single complaint.

My approach would be to write to their head office, expressing your disappointment, and asking for a list of all their parks in Aust & NZ, together with a list of those fully participating in the promotion.

PS: SWMBO (x 3) - you have three wives?!?!?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 286072

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:18

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:18
PradOz,

So what you're telling us is that you are not taking your 10y.o. son for a boys weekend away, because it's not free?

Hmmm!!!

Please, tell me I interpreted it wrong mate.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286082

Follow Up By: swampy460 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:35

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:35
My thoughts exactly.

Swampy
FollowupID: 551135

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:15

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:15
"So looks like the boys weekend away is now a thing of the past at this place anyway"

I understand PradoOz comments, and it did not come across as a cheapskate looking for a free weekend. Just pointing out some very misleading advertising, which I despise as well. No mention of not going anywhere, JUST NOT TO THIS PARK IN QUESTION!!!

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 551159

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:31

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:31
My thoughts were along the lines of Sandman and Swampy.

FollowupID: 551170

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:43

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:43
Why not spend a few bucks- and take the lad away anyway ??
AnswerID: 286099

Reply By: apriti00 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:12

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:12
People,

Unfortunately all to often the main reason for the post gets hijacked and we go of on tangents.
If I read correctly the subject was "is this false advertising re the free weekend campout feb 21 + 22"

Cheers Walter
AnswerID: 286108

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:02

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:02
Hey guys dont go off on your own track here as your getting lost.

As Trevor says it has nothing to do with being free or not paying or not going etc etc - it is all to do with the fact that companies like this like to lead you on with all the hype and when they got you hooked they hit you with it and extra charges etc. (A bit like most telephone companies)

Also for the record in my original conversation with them I offered to upgrade at my cost and asked them to give me an idea on the cost when she rang back. A point she missed as well. Mustnt need the business despite having no bookings yet for that weekend.

So dont worry the son and I will be fine - not just going here. I'd rather go where people are honest with you.

And for the record, I only have 1 wife but 2 daughters who think they rule the roost as well. The reason why the son and I want to get away on our own.

cheers Mick
AnswerID: 286122

Sponsored Links