Karrakai Track NT

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:10
ThreadID: 5447 Views:3062 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone have any recent knowledge of the Karrakai Track in NT? I'd like to use it when travelling between Litchfield Park and Kakadu, to avoid driving on the 'black stuff'.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 20:36

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 20:36
I think you mean the Marrakai Track( Old Jim Jim Track ) that turns off at the 47 Mile ( colloquial name) on the Stuart Highway. The track used to cross the Adelaide River by means of a couple of old railway girders. It winds its way past Kerry Station and comes out near Corroboree Roadhouse on the Arnhem Highway.
No, haven't been there for a while but Why don't you give the Police Station at Adelaide River Township a ring. They should know what the track condition is like.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 22589

Follow Up By: Barry - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:02

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:02
Oops Willem,
You're right - I do mean the Marrakai Track - just a typo!
Thanks for your advice.
Barry
FollowupID: 14939

Reply By: Brett - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 21:53

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 21:53
Was good last year and a good place to stop for a little barra fishing downstream of te crossing. Spent up to 2 days per week down that way and caught some fantastic Barra on lures and Saratoga in the billabongs and fresh section of the Adelaide river.

There is a creek on the Stuart Highway side of the crossing which will flood after only a few days of rain but this time of year it should be great and the spear grass not too high.

cheers

Brett
AnswerID: 22717

Follow Up By: Barry - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 23:08

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 23:08
Thanks Brett,

Two of the four vehicles in our group will be towing off-road caravans.
Does this put it out of the question or is the main crossing OK?

Barry
FollowupID: 14999

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 13:10

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 13:10
Barry,

The Marrakai track was upgraded following the collapse of the Adelaide River Bridge in Aug 1998, as an alternative access route for 4WD's. The upgrade involved grading and widening the road and creek crossings. Ever since then, the track has been semi-maintained and is used daily by commerical 4WD tour operators. Basically, it is an easy drive except after the wet season when some of the creek crossings can be a bit tricky. In dry conditions, you'd probably only be on the track between 1-2hrs. Nice drive though, quite scenic across the floodplains and cattle stations.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 22783

Reply By: Brett - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:31
I think it would be ok.. the crossing is obviously dependant on the rainfall. The conditions we experienced were fin and the crossing was fairly even. There is a small raodhouse/ caravan Park (Shell I think) not very far from where the MArakai track leaves the Stuart Highway. It doesn't look much but I think they sell beer etc so it would be a good place to stay overnight and just check the road out as far as the crossing. It isn't too far approx 20 mins to the crossing.

We had a fantastic time in this area.

cheers
AnswerID: 22817

Sponsored Links