goldstream 14' offroad caravan - any experiences?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 14:40
ThreadID: 54470 Views:16486 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are interested in upgrading from our offroad jayco eagle, to something that wont void your warranty if you actually take it offroad.
We have been looking at the Goldstream 14' pop-up offroad caravan. Comes with airbag suspension to lift it up if you need extra clearance and the salespeople say I can take it anywhere.
I don't really need/want something that will go through huge ruts, but something that wont fall apart on the corrugations - would like to head up to the cape - and can be towed up the beach on Fraser.
Just wondering whether anyone has any experience with these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: A J - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:56

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:56
Jammy Jeep - have you had a look at the trakmaster web site. they make a very good small off road van. I know nothing about Goldstream vans but consider that the salesman would change his reply if he had read the trade practices act in respect to misleading information about products and the relative fines.

I have been to cape york and it is hard on vehicles and camper trailers.

I have no interest or connection with trakmaster.

A J
AnswerID: 286892

Reply By: Member - Lewis K (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 17:25

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 17:25
Jammy Jeep,

I run an offroad Goldstream 12' and have nothing but good words for them.Mine is independent trailing suspension rather than air bags but could only suspect that the air ride will make the van handle even better. I have had mine over some rough country and except for the fact that the Microwave came adrift after some 450ks of very rough corrugations, no other damage has ever been evident.
AnswerID: 286910

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:30

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:30
Only thing I can suggest is to get the salespersons words on paper then it is worth something, otherwise it is only a sales pitch. I will not knock the product as I know nothing about them, but to me the suspension is one of the more important factors in determining if a van will hold together over k's and k's of corrogations.

I suggest if you have air ride suspension and it is set to the right pressure, this would be about as smooth as you could get so a good option IMO. Lots of trial and error in getting experience as to what is the right pressure would be required I imagine.

Best of luck with your choice.
Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 286934

Follow Up By: Member -Outback Mac C (VIC) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 22:01

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 22:01
I would be happy to recommend Goldstream to anyone. Though I presenty tow a Golf Lindwood,I have previously had a Goldstream and spent many hours at Pakenham factory I believe they are one of the better built vans in Victoria.
Cheers Mac
FollowupID: 552199

Reply By: Member - Brinic (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 00:09

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 00:09
Hi Jammy Jeep

We got our 2007 Goldstream Storm RV Offroad in December 2007 and it is worth every cent we paid for it, from the towing aspect right through to the layout, we would say go for the Goldstream.

Cheers

Brinic
AnswerID: 286999

Reply By: Turist (The Original One) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:23

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:23
Here's one that's "off road"
Well the logo on the back says it's off road.
Pic taken on the Gulf road 200K east of Borroloola.
Very bad corrugated section at that time.

AnswerID: 287011

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 14:24

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 14:24
OUCH!! Looks like someone forgot to strap the lid down!
When was this taken, we took ours through there late July & the "road" was pretty good, even got offered a job when we stopper to see if a cow cockey needed a hand on the side of the road.
Don't believe what the stickers say, not all are made equal!
FollowupID: 552282

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:59

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:59
Gerday Jammy J,
We have just completed over 22000km which covered the Darling river run, the Flinders Ranges to Innamincka (got flooded in) through central Queensland to Cooktown via Mt Isa, Cape Trib' & the bloomfield trk, up the Cape to the tip via the developmental roads, then back across the Gulf to Karumba, Lawn Hill to Borrolloola, Darwin, Alice Springs then back to Sydney.
The Land Rover didn't quite make it all the way, with numerous breakbowns, but our Goldstream Goldwing II didn't miss a beat.
We now have an old Landcruiser & are heading back to Alice with the Goldstream.
Just look after it, drive sensibly, & they won't let you down!
AnswerID: 287015

Reply By: Ken - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 18:39

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 18:39
Jammy Jeep,
Can't say I've given our Goldstream Crown the treatment yet but after a lot of research we went for the Goldstream over the others. Trackmaster , Bushmaster are a different proposition and have their supporters in the big heavyweight vans.
The clincher for us was going to the factory and seeing what goes into a Goldstream. They are pleased to show you the build process, the materials used and nothing is held back. The build quality is excellent and you can have real input into any additions or changes you want. Off road versions have 6mm ply sheet bracing over the walls before the aluminium cladding is put on which adds great strength.
Ken
AnswerID: 287303

Sponsored Links