Haunted Stream still closed

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:48
ThreadID: 54471 Views:3458 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We headed up Haunted Stream in the Vic High Country last weekend. Pity the info for track closures in the high country was difficult to find.

We left the Omeo road - no indication of closed tracks ahead. Stopped at Stirling for morning tea. Hey, still no track closed info. Headed off to Dogtown - just before Dogtown, we are greeted with a Temporary Track Closure sign & a locked gate. No info is given for an alternative route - no date is given for the temporary closure. Interestingly enough, if you wanted to drive around the locked gate, there is a rough track you could take. However, we did the right thing and backtracked to Stirling and headed up the Stirling Road to Angora Road.

I did a search on closed tracks on the Parks Victoria site. I found a High Country Access Strategy pdf. Way down on page 22 (last page) under State forest in the Nowa Nowa - Tambo area, I find the relevant info.

Yes, it states that all tracks south west of Angora Range Road are closed and will re-open by Nov 2008.

Pity I didn't know where the Angora Range Road was before we headed down there, as it wasn't a road we planned to travel on.

Looks like detailed closed track info for the high country is a thing of the past!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:17

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:17
The Parks site is usually weeks out of date at best. Most people I know have fallen for this sometime in the past.

With the floods in Nov, its no wonder that the areas round haunted are closed. Love that area too, although never seen the stream in 4 trips with more than 2inch of water in any of the crossings, but leeches by the ton!
AnswerID: 286897

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:07

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:07
The accuracy of the track closure info has deteriorated a little but is to be expected with the vast number of tracks effected. I know some had been opened after the fires only to be closed again on 2 separate occasions due to local flooding when repairs were washed away. It wouldn't surprise me if the dollars for Parks maintenance has dried up a little now the memory of the fires is fading as it's taking far longer to open them all up than previously indicated.
To be sure a quick phone call to the local Parks office will keep you up to date on what's actually closed when going into areas one doesn't know. (They don't bite)
Cheers Craig.....
AnswerID: 286930

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:14

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:14
In my experience they are very helpful at the local level. Usually the rangers are local boys/girls who know the area well and understand the bush one hell of a lot better than their city based bosses who usually have advanced degrees in "Ecological Management" or similar.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 552147

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:37

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:37
Craig

Its not the accuracy I have a problem with, it is the detail. The tracks around the Haunted Stream area (according to the website) are closed until Nov this year. What is missing is the name of the closed tracks. They arent changing each week from open to closed, the track names just aren't listed.

As a comparison, I have just received an Excel spreadsheet from the Grampians NP dated Feb 2008. It lists every track, its status of open or closed and the condition of the track.

Now, when we compare this to the High Country, & in particular, the Haunted Stream, the best we can get is 'all tracks south west of Angora Range Road. This type of information is vague at its best.

I usually ring the local parks people, however I overlooked this area as being closed after doing a quick check on the Parks website.

The other problem with the Haunted Stream is that it is not in the NP. So Parks Victoria will probably tell me to contact DSE. Guess what, the DES website sends you back to Parks Victoria for track closure info.

I know the solution is to ring the local parks/dse office and hopefully find someone who has been out on the tracks to know what tracks are open & what are closed.

It is a pity we cant receive up to date and informative track info for the High Country as we used to.
FollowupID: 552157

Follow Up By: Member -Outback Mac C (VIC) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 21:46

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 21:46
Our club tied to do the Haunted Stream track Melbourne Cup weekend last year. after checking on the website that it was opening 1st November. We turned back at the locked gate although a local 4wd club ahead of us had tried the "bypass the locked gate" but some vehicles had sustained damage! It is annoying to do the research and travel that far only to have to turn back.
Mac
FollowupID: 552193

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 14:55

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 14:55
G'day Zebra
We did a bit of the Haunted Stream in January this year. Can't recall name of track we took to it but there were no road closed signs anywhere. Without a map in front of me, and not being a local, I can't even tell you what direction or what track we approached from.
We managed to do about 10 crossings before coming across a large tree across the creek and no way around. Was too hot to contemplate clearing with chainsaws etc so we turned back.
The little wooden bridge at the start of the track is closed (partly burned) but there is a detour through the creek next to it.
We were not aware that the track was supposed to be closed.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 287056

Sponsored Links