tray-on campers

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 16:41
ThreadID: 54546 Views:5858 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give us feedback on the 'Trayon' camper?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: waymun - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 18:42

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 18:42
What exactly is it you wish to know?
We have had ours since 2001 and are extremely happy with it. It is light, plenty of storage, is dustproof and has everything except a shower and toilet. It is quick and easy to set up and pack away and therefore, we never take it off whilst we are travelling as setting it up as a stand alone is a pain in the butt........not only that, but if you take a side trip somewhere, it doesn't matter if you don't make it back to your designated camp spot because you already have everything with you. (Different horses for different courses of course). The only problem we have had was with the 3 way fridge. Due to the type of travelling we do on dirt roads, desert crossings and the like, we found the cooling pipes on the back of the fridge kept rupturing and losing all the cooling gas. After this happened twice to us, we tossed the 3 way and inserted a 2 way Engle. If you are buying one from new then I suggest you ask Trayon to give you the option depending on what sort of travelling you will be doing. Ours has been so popular that two of our other friends and neighbours have each bought one also. In the 6 1/2 years that we have had our camper and adding up our various trips, we have lived in it for almost a year. Considering the rough roads and tracks we have travelled on (approximately 80,000kms of them), nothing has fallen off the camper or come apart.
AnswerID: 287305

Follow Up By: ricey40 - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 13:10

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 13:10
Thank you for your reply. Fridges sound like they might be a problem. We know that when a fridge stops it can be very stressful! Was your replacement fridge a cabinet or chest type? Any problems making a cabinet type tight and rattle free? Could access to a chest type be difficult?
FollowupID: 553207

Follow Up By: waymun - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 14:01

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 14:01
Ours is a fitted cabinet type (front opening). I guess you could have a chest type fitted to a slide into the cavity for easy access. I am sure Trayon could adapt the cavity to suit.
In all our travels, we have encountered many people with all types of setups and nearly everyone has a fridge failure story to tell..............and you are right, when a fridge stops it IS very stressful. We now carry an 18 litre waeco chest type wherever we go as a back up, just in case! We simply sit this on the floor of the Trayon and have a strap around it to prevent it sliding around the floor.
If you chose to go with a 2 way cabinet type, just be sure you have a "spike" protector to prevent surges of power and you should have no problems. As to the noise problem mentioned in one of your other responses, we simply turn our fridge down a bit during the nights when it is cooler, and don't notice the noise.
It was on our 2004, 3 month trip that we encountered our second failure with the 3 way fridge and fitted the 2 way. The 2 way also failed 4 times on that trip and despite investigations by Engel, it was my husband that figured out the problem......we did not have a "spike" protector fitted between the batteries. Since having a "Redarc" battery isolator fitted, we have had no further problems.
FollowupID: 553216

Reply By: Member - Allan C (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 19:20

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 19:20
We have had our Trayon for 4.5 years and couldn't be happier with it. As with the previous reply, it is light, has heaps of storage and is very quick and easy to put up and down - but we also find it easy to put on its legs and we do that regularly. If we have set up a base camp - toilet shower fire etc. the we put the Trayon on
its legs - or maybe for beach such things as beach travel. It is certainly personal choice - as is the Fridge. We ordered ours with the Engel Fridge and after a few trips, we changed to the 3 way fridge and have never looked back. We had to change the fridge because the Engel was extremely noisy and vibrated right through the camper - made it impossible to sleep. The 3 way Dometic Fridge has the T (Tropical) rating and has been on a number of trips up North (Kimberleys, Gulf, Gove) and on very rough tracks more regularly in the Victorian High Country and has never let us down.
If you do end with a Trayon I hope you have as much fun with yours as we do with ours.
Allan
AnswerID: 287314

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 13:28

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 13:28
Maybe we could have a Trayon meet sometime in the future. I love mine and would like to meet up with others, anywhere

Cheers
jack
AnswerID: 287442

Follow Up By: ricey40 - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 13:25

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 13:25
Good idea! Will let you know when we are set-up
FollowupID: 553210

Reply By: Dunedigger - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:59

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:59
I am another trayon owner 5 years.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find my, and many other peoples comments.

I still have not seen anything better.

Dunedigger Lower Northcoast NSW
AnswerID: 287461

Reply By: Ady - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:50

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:50
ricey40
had mine for 3 years and second all above comments....
Regards
Adrian
AnswerID: 287474

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 22:59

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 22:59
Want one too! And a 76 series cab-chasis to mount it on! I'll keep dreaming.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287536

Sponsored Links