jayco poptop electrical prob- Lighting on roof -- help needed

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:56
ThreadID: 54694 Views:12135 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Gday guys - for some reason i am having problems with lighting - outside light works - have 12 v every where - thought it may be a dodgey cable that runs from the electrical box to the roof as this will be flexed every time the top goes up -- so cut it up near the roof - got 12 volt there

tested the switches to make sure they were closed -- continuity through the switch .... ok --- i then tested the power cable at the cut though the switch - through globes ( yes the globes are good ) open circuit --- so i am guessing the cable in the roof is dodgey for what ever reason --- as the cable splits of in 2 directions - its not just a matter of using old cable to pull through new cable ----

question is how do i get into the roof area where the cable is located as the roof appears to be stapled up ?

anyone had to do this and worked it out ??

thanks

Jayco 99 Flamingo outback.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:36

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:36
Like to know the answer to this one too.

try these forums for an answer also:

campertrailers

caravan&motorhome

caravaners forum

i have a manual that covers just about every area of servicing and repairing the jayco camper vans - swan, flamingo, hawk etc etc - but i do not remember ever seeing anything that covers things like this. I will try remember to have another look and see if i missed it but dont hold your breath as i am sure its not there.

for what it is worth it was written by a guy named trevor eastman that wrote many of these manuals to cover all the different type of campers vans etc. maybe worthwhile doing some research on him to see if you find an answer linked to him somewhere.

cheers mick

AnswerID: 288129

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 19:01

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 19:01
Hi Mick,

I'd be very interested in a copy of this manual you have. Where can I get a copy mate?? The owners manual that comes from Jayco is a very brief run down on the basics only.
FollowupID: 553641

Follow Up By: PradOz - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 22:10

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 22:10
Hi Hughesy

Mine cost $35. Not sure if its still available to purchase. The price sticker on it has a ph number of 03 9794 7977 but that may not be valid anymore. the book is called Trevor Eastmans Book 2 Service & Repair Manual Jayco. Book 2 means Jayco, Book 1, 3 etc mean Cub etc if they can be found. Quite a few pages in it - around 70 odd from memory. Its handy as it can get you out of trouble if you break something, the roof wont go up or down, etc etc and you are away on holidays in middle of nowhere for instance. It explains the winch and cable system, how to repair, what to do when one snaps etc. Canvas care, roof supports, bed rails etc and just about everything except the lights in the ceiling (LOL) I copied it and keep a copy in my swan just in case I ever have problems touch wood i never have to open it while i am away on holidays. it would be a very good idea for older vans especially.

Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 553697

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:51

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:51
What you need is an electricians mouse??

Maybe you could shove a piece of stiffish wire with a hook on the end across the top between the two layers??
AnswerID: 288136

Reply By: PMK - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 14:34

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 14:34
Hi Ozboc,
Not sure if this applies to the earlier models, but mine (2007) has a micro switch mounted just under the roof , outside the canvas on the road side about mid way along. This is to turn the light off if you forget to disconnect it when you pack up.
Just a thought
PMK
AnswerID: 288144

Follow Up By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 16:53

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 16:53
For what its worth I always found you cannot rely on this switch to always work, that is turn off the lights if you leave them on.

Maybe temporarily bypassing the switch may find it is the problem??

I think it would be a better system if the interior lights actually had a warning light on the van front where you see it from the car mirror to show if the vans interior lights are on/off when the roof is down. This will show if the switch is faulty or working and at least you have some level of comfort knowing you have less chance of burning the van down by the heat off the lights on the bedding/mattress etc.

I have fitted a light in the front boot on my Swan and also fitted a warning light on the front that shows me if I have either left it on or if it is accidently turned on by something bumping the switch on. It could easily overheat and cause a fire similar to the problem with internal lights.

I dont like the chances of pulling the cable thru as I think the roof frame has small holes drilled for the cable and if it breaks off when pulling it thru - well good luck as the only option is removing the ceiling sheets. A lot of people surface mount new ducting for lights etc and this maybe the only option if you want to cut off the old existing cable and fit a new one.

Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 553428

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:45

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:45
HI there , i don't think there is a micro switch as the manual refers to "damage being caused if the lights are left on " and no other source of wires or switches can be seen anywhere. Would have loved this problem to be a simple $1.00 micro switch - but i don't think i could be that lucky !

Just a little side note -- I had seen a later model Flamingo a few weeks back , and my one did appear MUCH larger in width and length - did they change the size of the van in the newer model ... ?

Boc
FollowupID: 553456

Follow Up By: PMK - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 19:47

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 19:47
My 2007 has the same warning about leaving the lights on, Might be a standard warning sticker... hey! Maybe the earlier ones didn't have the switch. You would see it from the outside if it's there.
Not sure if the dimensions have changed, from the outside I would say the newer ones look larger, Might just be my view.
PMK
FollowupID: 553463

Follow Up By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:04

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:04
Boc

I have seen the switch on new and old early model vans. They are just not obvious. If I can get access to the side of mine I will take a photo. Bit difficult for me due to storage space limiting access up the side.

Wind the roof up a little say half a metre, walk along the drivers side - opposite the door side - and about half way along look up and inside the side wall of the roof, but do it from the outside of the van. You are looking on the inside of the side roof wall most likely where the underside of the roof meets the roof side wall timber backing piece. You cannot see it from inside due to the canvas wall.

That is where i have always found the micro switch, keep in mind its smallish, sometimes colour matched to disguise it, so use a bright torch and hopefully you will see it.

Also if you look from inside usually either about along the same drivers side wall you will see a vertical "pocket" or "hem" in the canvas that has the cable(s) running up from the cabinets or wall below to the ceiling. You can often see a single (RED?) cable or wire that also runs up there. It goes to the micro switch.

Re the size, I found that on Jayco newer camper vans they lengthened the length of the A frame but shortened the actual body length and the overall length is the same or close to it. It results in a bigger van but from hitch point to rear its about the same. Check out the sizes on the new brochures or web site and measure all the stats up against yours to see the difference. Learnt that on mine when the sizes from the previous owner in Bega did not match up with the brochure and due to my storage space I needed to get exact. Meant a trip to measure (down from Sydney) + back home to check measurements + back to buy when it would fit. Its not something they advertise nowadays.

Catch U L8R

FollowupID: 553464

Follow Up By: GerryP - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:35

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:35
Agree with the above - most likely to be the micro switch. However, I used to have a 2000 Finch and the micro switch was just to the right of the door under the roof overhang on the outside of the canvas. Could easily stand on the step and get to it but not obvious it is there unless you look for it.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 553498

Follow Up By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:03

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:03
Boc

I have seen the switch on new and old early model vans. They are just not obvious. If I can get access to the side of mine I will take a photo. Bit difficult for me due to storage space limiting access up the side.

Wind the roof up a little say half a metre, walk along the drivers side - opposite the door side - and about half way along look up and inside the side wall of the roof, but do it from the outside of the van. You are looking on the inside of the side roof wall most likely where the underside of the roof meets the roof side wall timber backing piece. You cannot see it from inside due to the canvas wall.

That is where i have always found the micro switch, keep in mind its smallish, sometimes colour matched to disguise it, so use a bright torch and hopefully you will see it.

Also if you look from inside usually either about along the same drivers side wall you will see a vertical "pocket" or "hem" in the canvas that has the cable(s) running up from the cabinets or wall below to the ceiling. You can often see a single (RED?) cable or wire that also runs up there. It goes to the micro switch.

Re the size, I found that on Jayco newer camper vans they lengthened the length of the A frame but shortened the actual body length and the overall length is the same or close to it. It results in a bigger van but from hitch point to rear its about the same. Check out the sizes on the new brochures or web site and measure all the stats up against yours to see the difference. Learnt that on mine when the sizes from the previous owner in Bega did not match up with the brochure and due to my storage space I needed to get exact. Meant a trip to measure (down from Sydney) + back home to check measurements + back to buy when it would fit. Its not something they advertise nowadays.

Catch U L8R

FollowupID: 553505

Follow Up By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:26

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:26
Boc - just checked mine - the switch is located on bottom edge of side wall of the roof on the drivers side of the van about half way along. Mine is white in colour to match my van but I have seen some early ones in brown. I have seen some with the switches not on the bottom edge but up behind the side roof panel as I said previously. My cable inside the van is red and can be seen where it goes up the pocket in the canvas inside the van, and seen where it exits into the ceiling sheet next to where the light cable enters the ceiling and also seen in the cupboard below (the sink in my case)

I checked the Jayco Camper Van Service And Repair Manual and it doesnt mention this for repairs - only thing it doesnt in the 70 odd pages.

It does however give some telephone numbers.

Jayco's Own Workshop Facility (03) 9215 4652

Trevor Eastman's Camper Care (03) 9558 5425 and an old mobile number of 019 942 506 which probably converted to 0419 942 506. AND a PO BOX 38 SPRINGVALE VIC 3171. I dont know if any of these are current numbers.

I do have quite a few Repairers names + numbers depending on what state you are in (not meaning intoxicated even though thats probably what you want to feel like with this problem)

Best of luck.
FollowupID: 553515

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 16:56

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 16:56
One additional thing, have you removed the ceiling light fitting from the ceiling?

I found that when I removed mine (a circular light fitting) the hole behind it is quite large which gives you a better starting point than with the fitting on.

cheers mick
AnswerID: 288162

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:42

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:42
First thing i done - to check to see if i had voltage there , wire goes in between 2 roof materials and very snugly - I can't even move the wire Its that firm !

Might just run a few wires along the roof(internal) till i can find an alternative

Boc

FollowupID: 553455

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 19:21

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 19:21
Boc when the roof is assembled on most vans it's all glued together with any space filled with foam. My neighbor pulled his apart to fix water damage & was huge job. It would be unusual for wiring to burn out in the middle, normally breaking down at fittings or connectors. I'd strip a little of the wire back immediately as it enters the roof to check power is there before going into the roof further.
Good Luck........Craig.
AnswerID: 288188

Reply By: TD100 - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:02

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:02
Ozboc,

i have not pulled the internal lights off the roof(its about the only thing i have not pulled apart!) does it have2 cables in 1 light and only 1 cable in the other?if only 1 cable in each it is joined in the roof space which may have come apart.i was going to upgrade wire gauge to mine but it looks too messy and doesnt appear to move.as for pulling roof apart good luck!jaycos wiring is a shambles in these vans,poor joins,bad crimps and tiny gauge wire all add up to trouble.i have done alot of work to mine to make it 'acceptable'in my eyes.it is an 07 Jayco Destiny pop top.good van NOW after weeks of me reassembling it properly.good luck in fault finding.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 288198

Reply By: TD100 - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:05

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:05
Ozboc,

i have not pulled the internal lights off the roof(its about the only thing i have not pulled apart!) does it have2 cables in 1 light and only 1 cable in the other?if only 1 cable in each it is joined in the roof space which may have come apart.i was going to upgrade wire gauge to mine but it looks too messy and doesnt appear to move.as for pulling roof apart good luck!jaycos wiring is a shambles in these vans,poor joins,bad crimps and tiny gauge wire all add up to trouble.i have done alot of work to mine to make it 'acceptable'in my eyes.it is an 07 Jayco Destiny pop top.good van NOW after weeks of me reassembling it properly.good luck in fault finding.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 288200

Follow Up By: TD100 - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:06

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:06
dont you hate that!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 553465

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 00:02

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 00:02
Are you using the original halogen globes or have you swapped to fluoro?

I have put a fluoro in mine that can be used at either end, like the moveable bed lights, but mine sticks to the ceiling, either above the sink or over the table.

I found it would only work at one end, and it turned out that halogen globes don't care which way the power comes in....positive or negative...... but fluoro will only take power in one direction.
AnswerID: 288246

Follow Up By: Muzzgit [WA] - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 00:05

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 00:05
And I hit the submit button before I should have........the lights in the roof could be wired any old way cos Jayco just whack em in, in a hurry, cos they can.
FollowupID: 553531

Sponsored Links