OT-Out of fuel

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 13:50
ThreadID: 54696 Views:2674 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Out of fuel

My view is that it should be mandatory for any vehicle travelling in remote areas to carry suitable communications and adequate supplies for the region(s) that are being visited/traversed.

This is totally unnecessary, and could have cost lives.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 15:02

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 15:02
Hi Stu50, this came up the other day, check out thread 54643, I fail to understand how a "tour company" could get it so wrong, one can only suggest that maybe they got a hole in their fuel tank and lost their fuel but that still doesn't allow for no communications.and anyway what happened to the rule of staying with the vehicle, probably no water !!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad that they (the tour companies) are not all like that.
Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 288149

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 19:06

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 19:06
Its hard to believe no vehicles came past going in the direction of William Creek in 8 hours and saw what was happening, alerted someone in William Creek (must have been some guys in the pub there, they would have come out to get them.. At 6 Ks an hour walking, thats 8 hours!! No one came out to get them!!! Thats whats hard to believe!!! What is irresponsible is that they were allowed to walk in the heat, its the middle of summer. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 553459

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:40

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:40
Michael, they might have been on the Coober Pedy track. A woman died on that track several years ago. There isn't too much passing traffic at certain times of the year, obviously :(
It still doesn't explain the lack of fuel and comms...I wonder what the tour company had to say ?
FollowupID: 553501

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:40

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:40
Footloose, Yes you may be right, i blew a tyre once just out of Maree and we decided to go out via Coober Pedy from William Creek and we commented about the lack of passing vehicles. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 553518

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:43

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:43
I totally agree with you. I always top up where I can when in remote areas. I hate the feeeling of driving with one eye on the fuel indicator...
AnswerID: 288223

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:36

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:36
I know it is all supposition. If they were 40 K's out, perhaps they weren't on the Oodnadatta Track. Perhaps they were on the Halligan Bay access road?

The real story may never be disclosed as no one died.

Hopefully though, this Tour Company (not a small one either) may have learned a lesson and equip their vehicles travelling "in the outback" with proper safety and communication equipment.

They should still receive a heavy fine from some Government department to stress the act of negligence.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 288260

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 15:05

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 15:05
Surely the driver would have done a trip like that before...i guess its his last one! As if ya'd get them walk 45km, everyone in their right mind knows not to do that!

Laura
AnswerID: 288301

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 15:41

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 15:41
Their Tourism Tick accreditation should require them to carry appropriate communications. Unfortunately, I suspect that they might think that Globalstar phone, or worse, UHF radio is enough when clearly it is not.

Similarly they should have emergency plans that cater for such a simple eventuality and which don't have people leaving the vehicle.

I would be very certain that they will be audited by the accreditation people as a result of this, and if they don't agree to the audit or fail to implement changes, that their accreditation would be discontinued.

Interesting that suitable communications is a requirement for some permits nowadays (Anne-Beadell for instance)... perhaps it is time this was done for Desert Parks Pass too and certainly for all Commercial Tour Operators.

Cheers,
Andrew.
AnswerID: 288307

Sponsored Links