A/T Challenge

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:24
ThreadID: 54707 Views:2415 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for a new set of All-terrain tyres for my mitsubishi challenger and I would like to hear some opinions on what would best suit my purpose. Its currently running Bridgestone duellers 16/ 225/70s and I would like to fit a higher profile for a bit of extra clearence. I hit the scrub regularly and do some medium distance touring/camping pulling a trailer full of dirtbikes but its also my daily commuter so long wear is a must.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geriatricgypsy - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:33

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:33
i've just fitted Mickey Thompson tyres to my 4x4 and have only had them on for a few weeks but it might be interesting to look at their web sitehttp://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/
good luck.....Geri
AnswerID: 288205

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:10

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 22:10
Benno77,

There seems to be a lot of emotion attached to the subject of tyres, can't seem to work out why but there is.

I have used a variety of brands over the years but I keep coming back to a choice between BF Goodrich and Cooper.

I am currently running Cooper ST/C 265/75/16 and I have been pleasantly surprised by the wear characteristics. They currently have about 40k on them and still have about 6 to 7mm of tread left. This set have done most of their work in Sydney traffic, as my daily hack, unfortunately but I have used them extensively in far western NSW. A lot of my travelling out there was at reasonably high speed on dirt roads towing camper trailer weighing in at about 1000kg. There too the Coopers stood up well. I have no chipping and no punctures. I was driving a mate home the other night in the rain when he commented on how well my tyres were performing, I hadn't thought about it but I guess I was going reasonably quick in the conditions.

Prior to the Coopers I was running BF Goodrich AT. I had about 4 sets of these over a few years and was very happy with them. The last set only lasted about 28000km. A bit disappointing but I could have lived with it had it not been for the abuse I received at the hands of the Goodrich dealer and Rep when I showed them the tyres and expressed my disappointment. Added to the swearing and demeaning was the insult of offering me a $10 discount on replacement tyres. The ones they recommended were just over $400 per tyre. I said no thanks. My main reason for looking at other tyres was the dealer attitude rather than the BFG's

Some people have claimed good results from cheaper tyres but I figure they are my only contact with the ground, all going well. I like to be reasonably confident with whatever I have so I stick to higher end rubber. Might be silly but it works for me.

Duncs
AnswerID: 288228

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:45

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:45
What rims are you running?
16x7" ? or 16x6" ?

Might be a limiting factor.

I am running 16x6 nissan rims with 235/85 16 - 10 ply, so 235 is the widest I can go.

Do you want to stick to 6 ply for a better ride on bitumen or got a 8 or 10 ply?

If you are running 16x7 you could run the 235/85/16 or 245/75/16. 245/75/16 is available in 6, 8 and sometimes 10 ply.
245/75 16 is a reasonably common size and has less side wall flex (better handling) on the bitumen than the 235/85/16, but will still give you a larger OD than the 225/70s.

Once you have your size sorted, you can look for available tyres.
AnswerID: 288272

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:07

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:07
Bit of a minefield, this tyre thing. I have BFG A/T on the Jack.
20k only, including 13k outback, not a mark on them, look like new. But not cheap. I run Firestone Firehawks on a 4wd sprayrig &
have found them excellent for paddock work, not noisy on tar &
wear well. Not sure of size availability. Good value for money.
I guess the old adage.."you pays your money, & you takes your
choice" applies. cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 288275

Sponsored Links