Jayco Eagle Fiberglass vs Aluminium

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:19
ThreadID: 54778 Views:6803 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi i am buying the new Jayco Eagle Outback . just after some pros & cons . with the new ones against the alloy clad ones 2005 -2006 models , are they as strong ,better quality, i think that they look better & stronger but that is my opinion , would like to hear from any one who has had good or bad , or knows of any one who has one .also looking at comments on the Jayco Independent see thread 54737

thanks Brent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:00

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:00
You are asking a hard question to answer. Not many of us would have owned or used one of each to do a compare.

I have an 2003 model. Having looked at the 2007 models at the show, I think the current internal fitout looks a bit cheaper compared to the 2003 model.

I think you would also need to compare the chassis build if you want to compare strength.
AnswerID: 288697

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:32

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:32
i have aluminium but my brother has fibreglass but different brand. He has owned plenty of aluminium and this his first fibreglass. One thing he noticed and I heard about was the extra worries he has trying to retro fit things like sail channels, awnings, bed flys ect etc. I would suggest if you buy the fibreglass you get everything you want on it done first. At least with metal you can poprivet etc yourself and be pretty sure of not too much damage occurring.

Also i think the metal can dent and be more forgiving where as the other is more likely to break requiring professional repairs. Other than that suggest you try asking same question on the different caravan forums.

Also there are always plenty of very late model jayco camper vans on ebay etc where you will save a lot of cash on brand new. A 2007 on there now from memory. I have the Swan and absolutely love it - same layout as Eagle - suggest you get the largest you can afford, and store as the extra space is very worthwhile. Good luck...
AnswerID: 288716

Follow Up By: goldiedingdangdo - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 22:22

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 22:22
Fibreglass will pop rivet exactly the same as aluminium. As for dents etc it doesn't and to break the laminate would take several good belts with a solid hammer. Fibreglass is very forgiving, it does of course require a bit of wax as maintenance but that makes it even more forgiving.

Ian
FollowupID: 554073

Follow Up By: PradOz - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 22:36

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 22:36
hi ian

not sure if you have ever post fitted a full rollout awning with full annexe to a fibreglass van?? when doing it, how do you know where it is strengthened to support it or worse still has it been strengthened at all?? not as simple as you may think. wind resistance and other external loads to contain, not just dont have to hold it on the van.

yes the fibreglass will take a good beating but going off road you sometimes have no control over the external forces that can be applied when driving narrow spaces etc. Ever seen a low impact accident in a car - doesnt take much to cause considerable damage and a low impact on f'glass from a tree etc would not be too good.

Pop rivets will go into f'glass also, but the silicone will actually provide more holding power in f'glass than the rivet. try it and see

It does have its benefits re wind resistance, slick modern looks , other maintenance etc and each to their own. and by the way, i would not try the hammer thing and yes i know the aluminiums have plenty of potential issues too - as i said, each to their own
FollowupID: 554078

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:26

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:26
Was talking to a Jayco rep at the national caravan rally at Forbes recently. Jaycos are still constructed with the same aluminium frame. The outer skin is glass coated plywood. You will use the same techniques to hang new bits on either model.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 554090

Follow Up By: Kiwiausie - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 08:48

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 08:48
Hi PradOz .Thanks for your comments . I am only buying new as i can get such a good deal..eg slide out BBQ,full annex & flys , hyland hitch,innerspring matress,alko drop down jacks ,battery pack , extra gas bottle. total price $22600 as i have a mate who works for a Jayco Dealer, i am still deciding on the simplicity susspension
FollowupID: 554111

Follow Up By: PradOz - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 15:51

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 15:51
sounds like a great deal - especially as it will have everything on it.

regards the suspension - if you think u are going to keep it for a long time and get plenty of use out of it, why not go ahead and get it. if its going to be used rarely or your not sure how often or its your first van, well I would probably ave the cash. also depends where u plan on going to. if more vans are now being sold without it than with it, may make it more valuable later on when it comes time to sell. good luck with it.

ps get them to fit either a shade awning to kitchen side, or at least fit the sail track so you can easily do it later on. the shade is a bonus for you and your fridge.
FollowupID: 554162

Reply By: Kiwiausie - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 16:42

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 16:42
hi .it includes bagged awning on that side also .all are bagged awnings. we have had quite a few camper trailers (soft floor) we have been working our way up to get one of the jayco's . my wife & I feel it is about time for a few luxury's & home comforts, also getting draw bar extended 300mm so I can set it up on the back of the Patrol without having to unhitch to set up the beds. we will be keeping it for qiute a few years as we are planning to do a few big trips.Simpson ,Kakadu etc no real rough off road but still wan't the susspension to be able to handle it & make it comfortable to tow

.... brent
AnswerID: 288830

Follow Up By: Kiwiausie - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:35

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:35
back to the front
FollowupID: 554407

Sponsored Links