Looks like it is new, rather than second hand 79 Series for us.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:55
ThreadID: 54800 Views:4014 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
In another thread a few days ago, I sought and received some good info on 4.2 TD Toyota and Nissan Cab Chassis vehicles as a potential replacement for our Hilux. We simply need a bigger payload and tow capacity vehicle to meet our travel needs.

I had come to the conclusion that I was not prepared to pay the price for a new 70 Series Cab Chassis, when it is an 'old' model vehicle with a new (admittedly fantastic) motor. I had decided to seek out a good late model 79 Series TD.

Well, I've done a few days of research. Good 2003 to 2006 79 Series 4.2TDs are holding their value so well, that it just does not stack up. To get a good vehicle I estimate that I will save between $7,000 and $16,000 by buying second hand. To save anything like $16,000, it will be a 4 year old vehicle, out of warranty, at least 100k on the clock, a 4.2 rather than intercooled 4.5 V8 etc. And I'll have to negotiate very hard in most cases to make this saving.

So after convincing myself that I would buy second hand and let someone else worry about the depreciation for the first couple of years, it looks like I've come full circle.

Wife seems convinced as she is now discussing important stuff like 'what colour'. She loves the Merlot Red. So do I, but I'll probably go for boreing old white. The darker metalic colours look great, but they show up the scratches and marks from bush driving just too much.

The long delivery time is not a problem. We are heading off in the Hilux in about 4 weeks and won't be back till around August. New vehicle should arrive around then.

A few more things to work through. But looks like we might be ordering a new V8TD before we head off.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 22:25

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 22:25
Yes i would love to replace my 80 with a second hand TD 79
but in true toyota TD fashion i wont be affording one anytime soon
AnswerID: 288738

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:00

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:00
Norm you are certainly making the right choice, both economically and technologically.

Look on another thread about prices of second hand 100 series and the same thing is happening with the 70 series, as you have discovered.

The engine is worth the extra dosh too.

Have a look at my rig pics for the Merlot Red. The only other colour I like, fwiw, is the cream. It looks just that much better than white.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288744

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:03

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:03
By the way, I ordered the factory tray with a wooden floor. Looks great.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554084

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:26

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:26
Iv'e looked at your rig pic many times Gone Bush. Looks great.

By cream, I guess you mean 'Sandy Taupe'. French Vanilla (which I call white), Sandy Taupe and Midnight Blue are the only non metalic coloures available.

In terms of looks, I would go the Merlot Red like yours. We just love the Bishop Blue on our current Hilux and it certainly attracts some attention (was featured on front cover of 4WD Monthly last year). But we sometime head bush and the slightest hint of Lantana or similar leaves light scratches in the duco. They show up much more on the metalic colours and can not be polished out easily on those colours.

I had a small ding in a rear door of the Hilux last year (ran over a stick and it flicked up and hit the door). Cost $800 to repair and repaint as they had to blend the paint job across the whole side of the vehicle. Repairer said if the colour was white, it would cost about $200 as he could paint just the damaged area. Not decided yet. Heart says red. Head says white. Wife says????? We'll see.

As for tray, I'll buy without. Will fit a full aluminium canopy with integrated tray. It will cost about $9,000, but if you back out the cost of tray, it is a bit more reasonable.

Still don't like spending so much on a vehicle with such basic seats, no air bags, etc, but what can you do. Toyota can't be expected to spend a fortune on R&D and developing a new model when they have no competition and they are selling faster than they can make them.
FollowupID: 554091

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:31

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:31
Norm, the best accessory I've bought so far is the centre console. Comes in two parts, from www.consoles.com.au in Sydney.

Just the handiest thing ever; especially compared to the P-weak little thing that Toyota supply.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554092

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:41

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:41
G'day
What the device near the gearshift- (not the apple)..??

FollowupID: 554121

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:21

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:21
There are a couple of things there Signman.

The black rectangular box is the display for the TJM dual battery system.

The silver box just under that is a box that combines inputs from two reversing cameras (one for the van and one on the back of the tray).

The grey pole takes another tube with a mount for an 8" remote monitor (touch screen) for OziExplorer. The laptop sits in the map pouch behind the passenger seat. The 8" screen ends up sitting just to the right of the glove box.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554128

Reply By: Turbo Lux - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:05

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:05
Norm

I could not agree more with what you are saying, since you are in queensland I thought I would let you that I bought my new Hilux through a broker, saving was around $5500, so try contacting Motor Vehicle Consultants and ask for Ross, phone number is 0412 721 001 and simple get a quote.

Tell him aaron sent you
AnswerID: 288754

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:39
Thanks for that Aaron. I'll give him a call. My local dealer (who I got the Hilux from) is already offering a $5,000 discount on RRP on the package and I haven't finished twisting his arm yet. Bit hard to get 'masive' discounts as they are selling themselves at the moment.

Norm C
FollowupID: 554131

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 07:53

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 07:53
Norm ,

I was thinking of going the same way, if I could make it more comfortable . I was looking at buying two really good front seats , but I read somewhere that this might be illegal .

I will have to look into that more closely .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 288763

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:23

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:23
That's interesting Willie,

my wife and I find the std seats are the most comfortable we've ever used. Beats my old 80 series.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554129

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:34

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:34
Mike, I can't see how it can be illegal. There are a number of after market seat manufacturers that have built their business around providing replacement seats for vehicles.
I'd have thought as long as they comly with ADRs etc, there would not be a problem. Hope that's the case anyway as replacement seats are on our 'wish list'.

We'll try the standard ones out for a while, but on first look, they seem to be a bit behind the Hilux seats.

This link is to an aftermarket seat guide I found on the Overlander web site. It gives some basic info, then some details on a number of aftermarket seat manufacturers. Might be a good start point.

Overlander Aftermarket Seat Guide
FollowupID: 554130

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:42

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:42
There may be issues replacing the seats in the LC200 because of airbags (in the seats) but not the C/C, it's the same as it was 20 years ago.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554132

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 13:31

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 13:31
Most people I know with the RV (GXL) bucket seats are happy enough with them. Most people I know with the vinyl 3 seater, find the drivers seat is OK, but the passengers seat is like a wooden board, so they replace with Recaros. Theres a good stock of second hand recaros at some of the Wreckers in adelaide.

I found the Recoaros to be great on a long trip - they feel firm, but no issues with sore back.
FollowupID: 554141

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:11

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:11
Yeh sorry , I checked and it was the 200 with the air bags in the seat that was the problem .

I think if I bought a cab chassis , I would buy some seats . Thanks Norm for that great seat article .

I just came out to the 'puter , as it's raining at the MCG . Bugger.

Cheers ,

Willie .

PS
GBush . All I know is that I have driven in various Troopies over the years and always got out needing a leak .
FollowupID: 554208

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:06

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:06
Geez, Willie,

that's drinking too much p1ss at lunchtime, not the seats LOL.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554244

Reply By: desert - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:23

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:23
Blows my mind that people will pay the sort of prices that Toyota puts on their vehicles! I mean, if the 79 was even dearer at 80K, people would still find the dough! How can a ute be 70K for G...s sake? Get real. Surely, other makers can exploit this market niche and under cut it by 10's of thousand's! Still, it it's got Toyota on it, they'll buy it!
AnswerID: 288878

Follow Up By: Davo_60 - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:38

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:38
I agree with you, I like them but couldn't justify the money. I guess you always get your money back on resale particularly with the diesel models. They have used the same philosophy for years with the biggish diesel with lowish outputs and fantastic longevity. Everyone else is trying to screw 200kw out a 2 litre diesel. It does make the new defender range appear good value though.

Dave
FollowupID: 554214

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:46

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:46
There is no competition, what do you expect.

I would have been doing just as Norm if were still travelling.

Looking at buying a little run around at the moment and it's amazing what you get standard esp the new lancer-stabiltity control, bunch of other driver aids, airbags, bluetooth, rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, climate control, steering wheel mounted controls for radio-(new 200 even has this missing) and the list goes on and on...

Still, buying tommorrow for what Norm has in mind, I'd do exact same thing. I'd buy the "luxury" RV model though and probably the light grey :-))

Matt
FollowupID: 554216

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:39

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:39
Prices start at $53,990 plus costs (plus air and tray). I've always been able to get $5k off for cash and no trade.

Its the flashy stuff (armrests, console, mags, chrome, carpet, cloth, CD, remote, fastglass, metallic paint) and factory diff locks that push the price up.

I like the base model - it's like starting with a blank canvas and you can do your own thing. You can drill holes in them and they don't look out of place :-)
FollowupID: 554262

Reply By: Member - BIGDOG G (WA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:54

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 21:54
Hi guys....Yeah, I just finished loading up my new 70 GXL.
Came with all the fruit plus twin diff lockers.
Since added.....Air suspension, hf and uhf radios, roof consol, 4xspotties and lotsa other stuff.
Heres a couple of pics..........hes only done 30 kilometres

Cheers............BIGDOG

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 288889

Sponsored Links