Central Victorian gold fields

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 21:59
ThreadID: 54861 Views:2682 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,just a quick hello from the goldfields region of Vic. Had a few quite hot days here at first but its cooled off somewhat to make it better for detecting. Had to take the detector to the doctors the other day to get sent off for a checkup. For some reason she stopped working, but we were given a replacement to get us by till ours comes back. Hopefully the bill wont be too big!! Anyway, by for now and will be back on line in a few days.Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:47

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:47
Hey Uncle, take some time for a look just north of Dunolly, not Laanecoorie way but up Moliagul and Bealiba way. If you can see where grounds been disturbed by trees falling over (they do it after big storms cause the grounds rubbish up that way) then fossick around those areas and good luck mate.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289065

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:49

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:49
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundHi Bonz, Moliagul is on the list for a visit. After checking some of the forest areas down here, some of our old patches, have seen recent bushfires, and the ground scrub and mulch has now ben burned off, making it easier to get the coil to the ground.
Been back to one spot in particular and got 4 small nuggets off that area. The first pic is our gold so far for the last week, and the second, is what came out after a bbq and some refreshing ales last nite at a friends house. They were all found recently around the Dunolly / Maryborough region.cheers mate. unc
FollowupID: 554553

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:27

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:27
Hi Unc - your rig is remarkable similar to ours - same 4by (even same year), accessories, 2" lift, winch, spots, snorkle, UHF -hell even the same LG phone for on the road Internet. Other than the roof rack and a few minor items we could swap and never know the difference other than the tyres (I run Toyo Open Country MT - Muds).

Also like fossicking/detecting - but only been detecting in the last 12 months (minelab Quattro - yes I know - not a dedicated Gold detector)
We are off to Georgetown/Croydon/Mt Surprise area in May for a few weeks. What brand detector do you use, and why the need to get its oil changed. May be something I need to watch out for (or avoid) in the field..................Keith.
AnswerID: 289081

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:34

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:34
Hi Keith,
Hanvn't been to Georgetown yet myself, but a friend has and did well years ago.Research some areas around Forsayth and see if you can do the slab of beer for some detecting on the farmers properties around that area. seen some big nuggets from that region. I'm using a Minelab SD 2100 at present and have done for years, great machine, but its copped a pounding and my have just blown a front end transistor, so the tech man tells me.
Coiltek in Maryborough have given me a GP 3000 to use while it gets fixed and so far got 4 nuggets in 2 days at one of our old patches here in Dunolly. Cant believe how dry Vic is at present and level 4 water restrictions in force. Depending on your budget, go for a GP 3000 machine or 2200, or even a 3500, coupled with a Coiltek or nuggetfinder 14" DD coil . When the ground is quieter I throw on a Coiltek 14" mono, and hook into it with that but mono coils can be vry noisy until you get used to one.!! Cheer sunc
FollowupID: 554549

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:43

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:43
Went to mebourne yesterday morn for my cousins wedding. and came back to Sydney at 6 am this morn..... I hope u got the fire cranking as it was rather cold and wet up at ballarat.
AnswerID: 289230

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:39

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:39
Ya not wrong!! We got the fire cranked up with some ironbark off cuts, kept us nice and cosy that night.
FollowupID: 554552

Sponsored Links