Taking dogs on holidays

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 22:41
ThreadID: 55125 Views:2188 Replies:11 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
To those who are debating on whether to take their dogs on holidays here is my experience.
We have never taken our furry family member, Simba (see Pic below) on an actual holiday because of the usual "reasons" such as 'can't go to some places', 'she may upset or disturb others around us' you get the idea, well some of you may remember about 15 months ago our beloved Simba had one of her back legs off due to cancer, all has been going well until the last few weeks so we decided to have the dreaded xrays done to see why she was limping in one of her front legs, unfortunately the results were that the cancer is now in her right shoulder, so we dicided to take her for that holiday that we hadn't done for all those "reasons". We loaded up the van and off to Geraldton we went with a very excited Simba on board. We were gone for over a week and not one of those "reasons" raised it's ugly head, we had no problems with other people or with their dogs, Simba was absolutely brilliant.
So if you have a dog and not sure whether to take your pet on your trips just work out why you have the dog in the first place and how important it is to you and your family, because believe me at the end of the day you only have them for a short part of your life and as we have found that those "reasons" for leaving them at home can be dealt with.
Enjoy your furry friens while you can.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 22:52

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 22:52
D

I do it both ways!

I firstly choose what type of holiday I want. Usually, they fall into the category of: Can't take the dog, or can take the dog.

2 month trip to the Kimberley via Tanami, GRR etc, not very dog friendly, hence she gets her own holiday with dog loving friend.

Week long trip to mates farm via a few high country tracks, skillfully avoiding the National Park (of course)....perfect trip for the dog. Mind you I do object to 'permits issued for the purpose of deer hunting with dogs in the NP', when I'm not allowed to have mine with me camping..... which is likely to 'disturb' wildlife more, I ask? It's a crock! I've lost count of the number of deer hunting dogs that I've found wandering in the bush, apparently lost, then rung the owner who is now in Melbourne....."Yeah, couldn't find that one, mate...can you bring her back to Melbourne with you?..." hardly.

Bushwalking in Wilsons Prom.....ummmmm probably not.

I agree with you though, I love taking the dog camping as it adds a very enjoyable dimension to the trip and provided the trip is mid week and fairly remote, away from the madding (dog hating) crowd, I can;t see the problem.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 290497

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:27

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:27
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. You really do need to work out whether or not the holiday that you are taking is doggie friendly, there is definitely places where you can't take dogs, we did the Kimberley's last year and didn't take our girl so our daughter house sat for us while we were away. She always gives us a fantastic greeting when we get home.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556074

Follow Up By: fozzy - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 19:47

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 19:47
Mark

which NPs in Vic allow dogs in to hunt????

cheers
fozzy
FollowupID: 556210

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:06

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:06
Fozzy,

Have a look at this link:

Hunting in National Parks

There are other forest areas which directly adjoin National Parks into which the dogs often 'wander'. I often found dogs wandering around the Alpine National Park around the Bennison Plains area, along the Moroka Road and a number of other places. I also spent 3 years living in the Howqua Valley on a large property owned by a school and we were constantly 'rescuing' dogs that had wandered off from the owners, who had given up the search and gone back to Melbourne.

It would appear from the above information that there is very limited dog hunting allowed in National Parks in Vic, though I think a few years ago the restrictions were not as tight.

Cheers,

Mark

FollowupID: 556234

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:45

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:45
I'm with you on the hunting dogs Mark.

Makes me bloody angry that people loose them in the bush and then give up and go home and, no doubt, repeat the process a month later.

In fairness not all hunters are like that: a few years ago I was camped in deep bush north of Dargo and was very surprised to see a pair of headlights approaching camp on a cold, wet night at about 10pm. Turned out to be a hunter on a quad out looking for a lost dog. Chatting to him on CB the next day he found the wet and unhappy dog at around midnight.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 556272

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:31

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:31
Mike,

Yes, like anything, there are good and bad.

I have nothing against dogs for hunting per-se, though it's not my bag. It's a free world and everyone is entitled to their own interests, provided they don't impinge on others. My main beef was the lack of control that the hunters seem to have on the dogs, which then wander off and end up on private property or in National Parks.

The school camp where I used to live in the Howqua Valley, had about 80, 15 yo girls and you can just imagine the look on some of their faces when a burly bloke dressed in fatigues, camouflage-painted face, wanders into the camp with high powered rifle slung over shoulder, looking for his lost hound!!! Not to mention the obvious security issues. Mind you there were a few deer up that way!!

FollowupID: 556278

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:37

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:37
>The school camp where I used to live in the Howqua Valley, had
>about 80, 15 yo girls

By God man! You're made of stronger stuff than me! I can hardly imagine anything worse than having to deal with 80 15 year old girls!

I reckon whatever you did you'd be on a looser somewhere! :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 556279

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:38

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:38
Yep, it had it's challenges!!!!!!!! 8-)
FollowupID: 556294

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:49

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:49
Can some-one please explain to me why people are allowed to take a dog (hunting) into NPs, let them loose to catch rabbits deer, foxes etc..., assuming that they are trained enough to know that those animals are the only ones that the dog is allowed to chase/catch, (and by all accounts not trained enough to come back when required) and I am not allowed to take my well trained dog, always on a lead, (when not home) well fed, picked up after (and I mean always) into these same NPs just because she is a 'dog' (in our minds she is not just a dog she is a member of our family, we would never leave her behind). My head is still shaking. Is it a sport???? or is it actually the Govts way of trying to get rid of feral animals in the Parks????? for me it appears to be creating more ferals there.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556319

Reply By: Members-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 23:18

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 23:18
Know just what you are saying D ,, our little Cav comes about 98% of the places ,, we just make sure we go where he can be ,, have next to no trouble with him around other peoples pets or them ,, they just seem to love him as well !!

All the best ,, Neil ..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290505

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:30
Thanks Neil, enjoy your little Cav and hope you have many more holidays with him.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556076

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:50

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:50
You make sure you keep that Cav under control - well know aggressive and viscous dogs they are! The Pit Bulls used to scatter when I took mine to the local park - a Blenheim, like yours, sadly she is now dead :(

Mike Harding

PS. I always said she may only have a small brain but she had a big heart to make up for it :)

FollowupID: 556273

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 04:56

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 04:56
Simba
Sorry to hear about your leg problems, It's wonderful when you can go with Mum and Dad on holidays, I have always gone on trips all over Australia and I have such a great time, life's not all that long for us so you make the most of it,

My life Story

Hang in there Simba.

Dusty

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 290516

Follow Up By: Ray - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:25

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:25
Thank's Dusty for your story. Lost my little friend a few months ago. She had done two trips around the block and loved every minuet of it. Oh how I miss her
FollowupID: 555903

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:36

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:36
Hi Dusty, thanks for your reply. That is a great story that you have there, I like the way you 'pose' for the camera, I hate cameras and Mum & Dad keep trying to take photos and video of me but I just look away so they sneak the camera out when I'm distracted. Enjoy your travels Dusty.

Cheers

Simba

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556078

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 14:32

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 14:32
Damn straight.. This is one of my biggest frustrations about camping/holidaying in Aus these days.. 99% of places do not allow dogs. Unfortunatly this is policy making based on the lowest common demoninator, so I understand the reasons why dogs are banned - too many idiots have let their dogs run rampant and kill/chase native animals etc and bark/howl etc.. I see no reason what Mans best friend, managed and taken car of properly cannot be part of the family no matter where we go. I am more than happy to admit to taking my two Beagles across the Simpson Desert, to Cape York among many other places. They love it and we are always very crafeull to ensure that they are not able to chase/disturb the wildlife or our neighbors (if worse comes to worse and we actually have to camp near someone else) we even go so far as to put towels tc over the windows of the car at night so that they can't see out and hence distrub the wildlife, should it come into our campsite. (they sleep in back of the Nissan) This works very well as we have had dingos at our tent door right beside the car with the dogs in it and they didn't even realise until I made a racket to chase the dingos off.
There are very few places I don't take my dogs. Would be nice to be able to do it legally though.
AnswerID: 290584

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:47

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:47
Hi Coyote, I know what you are saying, it seems that most people do the right thing but it is the selfish minority that messes it up for the rest. The park that we were in at Geraldton had quite a few dogs in but there was no problems at all.
We have a book called "Holidaying with Dogs" (It is in the Exploroz book shop) which is fantastic, it covers Australia wide and gives the names of all places that allow dogs, also gives the name of places that will look after the dog if you happen to go off for a few hours or days.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556081

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:56

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:56
No compromise my wee mates coming with us and thats that, cant count the things we've missed because of her but we get MORE from her than all of that and then some she's the best thing thats came into our lives in a long time and hopefully thats the way it'll stay,
regards,
Dave
AnswerID: 290616

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:53

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:53
Hi Dave, that is the trouble with 'pets', we get so attached to them, and their life span is so short and the thought of loosing them, well I don't want to think about that, We have this Kennel for out Simba but she is very good she lets us live in it with her, even lets us sleep in her bed, how good is that ??????LOL

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556083

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:12

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:12
If my Golden Retriever, Sherman isn't welcome, I don't need to go there ..... Simple!
AnswerID: 290744

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:51

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:51
Hi Shaker, I hear you, I think in reality there is just the NPs that people are not able to take their dogs and then if the road goes through the park I believe you can take your dog (so what can happen if your car overheats in the middle of the park and you have to camp the night), in most places there are CPs that will take dogs. so why not take your beloved pet.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556166

Reply By: Mogul - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:44

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:44
We used to take our dog on EVERY holiday, as said above if the dog ain't welcome then we found somewhere else. She even came on our honeymoon to Tassie. She was never into chasing wildlife except for rabbits. She loved it and what's the point of having a dog that isn't let free to run around the bush every now then.

Holidaying with dogs is a great resource to use to plan.
AnswerID: 290760

Follow Up By: Mogul - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:45

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:45
If we wanted to do a day trip into an area where dogs weren't allowed she stayed at the tent and slept all day without a worry.
FollowupID: 556174

Reply By: al - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:31

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:31
it is you inconsiderate lot that take dogs into places your not suppose to is the reason the rules are getting tighter and why more places are banning dogs i've got nothing against dogs and often travel with one.but by some of your own admissions u are breaking the rules and wonder why it is getting harder.it's not the dog that is the
problem but bad owners !
AnswerID: 290808

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:56

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:56
Take a deep breath,pause for a while,exhale
Now you should be more relaxed.
Remember that capital letters and full stops make your sentences more readable and therefore get your point across with more expression.
It really isn't that hard is it?
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 556216

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:54

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:54
I break lots of stupid rules and would commend others to do likewise lest we become even more constrained by petty Hitlers with a breast pocket full of various coloured pens.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 556274

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:17

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:17
Never go anywhere without our little mutt. As somebody said before, if he's not welcome we'll find somewhere else. It does exclude a lot of places but it's not that hard to find others - funny thing is they tend to be less crowded too.

It is a shame that some inconsiderate idiots who don't pick up their dog's pooh, leave it to bark etc spoil it for the rest but the few places that still allow dogs have a great comraderie between owners as well as dogs.
AnswerID: 290835

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:19

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:19
Never go anywhere without our little mutt. As somebody said before, if he's not welcome we'll find somewhere else. It does exclude a lot of places but it's not that hard to find others - funny thing is they tend to be less crowded too.

It is a shame that some inconsiderate idiots who don't pick up their dog's pooh, leave it to bark etc spoil it for the rest but the few places that still allow dogs have a great comraderie between owners as well as dogs.

Good luck with Simba, mate.
AnswerID: 290836

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:35

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:35
Some of you may know that we adopted a dumped dog (pup), a couple of weeks ago.

She has settled into our family really well, the point is she will not be coming on our end of season treks.

The reason being is we mainly go to N.Parks and areas similar, I guess I practice what I preach.

She will be looked after by my sister and her girls who also have a dog, so she will have mate to play with.

Having said that I have a best Mate who takes his dog every were except N.Parks, unfortunately she my not accompany him any more as she was run over the other day, she has broken her hips in 3 places, she is responding well but she is not a young dog.

So travel with your dog if you wish, But please keep them out of N.Parks.

Cheers Steve.

AnswerID: 290840

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:11

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:11
I don't take my dog in to NPs, but I fail to see what my dog will do, that a dog belonging to an indigenous Australian won't.
FollowupID: 556252

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:32

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:32
Hey Shaker

I'm about to go to bed.

So look up the Environmental protection and Bio-diversity act, this will give you hours of reading and answer you question a lot better than I can.

Environmental protection and Bio-diversity act 1999

Have fun reading, look forward to your report.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 556255

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:37

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:37
I guarantee that it won't answer my question.
FollowupID: 556256

Sponsored Links