lake menindee any water

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:24
ThreadID: 55175 Views:2996 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
is anybody able to tell me if there is any water in lake Menidee going up that way early April.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 16:48

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 16:48
No.

There is water in Lakes Whetherill, Pamamaru and Copi Hollow.

There is also water flowing in the Darling at Menindee. It is well worth a look and if it keeps up raining then there is a chance that water will go into Menindee soon.

I think they will not put water in there until there is a good flow coming. Unless it is reasonably full they loose heaps to evaporation. That and the fact that it has been dry for about 4 years now means it will take a lot of water to fill.

Duncs
AnswerID: 290769

Follow Up By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:52

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:52
Apparently the NSW Govt. has first go at the water, to replenish the Menindee Lakes Storage System, before any substantial flow will make it further down the Darling. Let's all hope that there's heaps more water on the way down - for everyone's sake.
FollowupID: 556195

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:09

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:09
Ditto -It's still bloody dry down in Mildura-Rain guage for the month of FEB =Nothing!!!
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 556218

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:00

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:00
If Vic and NSW ran all their water in pipes and not in stone age earth open channels there might be a bit more water around it must waste a s#it load of water in seepage and evaporation.
Apparently in NSW just the main channels not the sub channels waste more than SA use.Over 900 km of open earth main channels.

It would be great to stop the waste.But $$$$$$$$$ I suppose.

Just my point of view.

Scoof.
FollowupID: 556231

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:28

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:28
The only reason SA run the water in pipes is because they don't have any suitable rivers.

I am aware of irrigators in NSW who have lined dams up to 100,000 megalitres capacity with a vinyl liner to avoid losses to seepage. Last time I saw it they were planning to put a cover on the same dam to deal with evaporation. There is also a pipeline being put in along the Darling River Annabranch from Menindee area to the Murray.

I suspect that piping water from the Murray to Whyalla is not the most environmentally friendly option. I know it has other merits but it is not good for the natural environment at either end of the pipline.

The problem with Menindee is that the lake is about 8km in diametre and only about 4m deep. The Dept Water Resources in NSW will not put any water in that lake until they are confident that it will remain pretty much full for some time.

Duncs

FollowupID: 556297

Follow Up By: Scoof - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:56

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:56
Duncs don't you think that a open earth channel is a extremely wasteful way of distributing water to the farmers.

Here we are blocking of lake's and back waters to stop evaporation and us SA'ens drive over the border and see such a wasteful use of water in Vic and NSW.

To me it's primitive in light of the lack of water.

Maybe I'm just p!ssed off I have to buy water from Vic and NSW at $880.00 a meg to keep my fruit block alive.When all that wasted water could be flowing down the river.

Cheers Scoof .. :-)
FollowupID: 556329

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:16

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:16
Hey Scoof

I feel for you as I do for anyone trying to make a living off the land these last few years.

I also appreciate what you are saying about the open channels. I guess my point is that some people are trying to improve things.

The guy with the lined dam also had all his irrigation under ground with computer monitored moisture levels, so his plants only got what they could use.

We have been asking a lot of the Murray Darling Basin in the last few years. It seems the dryer it gets the more we ask the river to give up.

Having lived in Broken Hill for a few years I am more aware than most of the problems on the Darling. The farmers at Wentworth blame those at Pooncarie, those at Pooncarie blame those at Menindee, blame those at Bourke, blame those in Qld and so it goes on. The real criminals are the government ministers from all states and the commonwealth who have given out more licences than the river can sustain.

Poor old river can't keep everyone happy.

Good luck with the fruit block, hope you get some good rain when it's needed.

Duncs
FollowupID: 556378

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:10

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:10
Yeah Duncs I hope it p!sses down, It's a shame when you see couple hundred year old gum trees dying from lack of water. You just wish something could be done.

Cheers Scoof .. :-)
FollowupID: 556445

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:05

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:05
I was at the coal face so to speak 2 weeks ago, and at that time Copi Hollow and Pamamaru were three quarters full and filling.
All the banks had been graded where the camping takes place and I suspect this long weekend and easter it will be standing room only as the water sking locals have been high and dry for many years.
There was also quite an amount being let down the Darling to the Murray as well.
But I suspect that it has well and truly stopped by now, as the report at the time was that the mongrel cotton growers had switched on the pumps and the Darling was flowing backwards at Bourke.
It would be a good time to go have a look though.
CAUTION, I didnt think that mossies grew in such large numbers and size as we encounted them that trip, and mostly came out after dark also.
So go prepared, full sized mossie net body suits will be the order of the day and nothing less.

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 291034

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:16

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:16
Hi stayed at Copi Hollow Oct 2007 just dry clay at the end of the boat ramp hardly any water in the lake just a little over by the ski club house and a sign on the toilet block warning of blue green algea.So great to here it's all good for now anyway.

Regards Scoof.. :-)
FollowupID: 556453

Follow Up By: slave - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:47

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:47
We were up there about the same time Pesty and were told that Copi was full.

Water level in Lake Balaka dropped alot in the week that we were there, which meant that the yabbies were 'off the bite'. More than one local said that there is more water coming down. I just hope so.

The water at the bridge at Menindee was looking a lot better that it was 11 months ago, colour wise and height wise.

Mrs S
FollowupID: 556516

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:48

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:48
The last big lot of rain from central Qld still hasn't got down here yet. Takes a looong time. Check the BOM website for darling river heights and you can see the graphs that show if the level is increasing or dropping. Gives you a good idea of where the "front" of the water is.
AnswerID: 291176

Sponsored Links