HELP!!! Western Victoria hints please!

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:03
ThreadID: 55197 Views:3952 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give advice and great places to visit when travelling to Grampians, Little desert, Big Desert, Murray Sunset, Kinchega NP or Mungo NP. They all just sound so awesome. We have 10 days and unsure which ones to head for after we have been in the high country with a group who have to race back to Brissy. We are travelling alone, with 2 toddlers. We would like moderate 4wding as we are alone! and bush camping is preferred of course we love our fire - camp cooking. What will the temps be like in 4 weeks there? We will be there in 4 weeks and are STILL undecided HELP!!!! Then back to Brissy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nick R (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:03

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:03
there are heaps of places, Otways are nice, range of 4wding, Great ocean road and coastal areas right to the border are good, then in to the Grampians and Pyrenees, so much to choose from
nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290886

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:06
we know thats the problem!
FollowupID: 556314

Reply By: onelostroo - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:53

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:53
From all of the members here in Hamilton Vic welcome to our backyard . You will find plenty to see and do (hope you like dust;you will be able to souvenier plenty to take home inside your vehicle).Hope you enjoy your trip down from Brizvegas.
AnswerID: 290896

Reply By: noddydog - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:34

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:34
G'day Carlin, would be worthwhile to go to the westprint map site and ask there, I'm in Nhill between Big and Little deserts and water is practically non-existent there. Grampians are good, depends what you like to see, the temp. in 4 weeks time shouldn't be terribly hot anymore, but remember, Murphy's law applies at all times!! Good holidaying...
AnswerID: 290918

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:12

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:12
G'day Noddydog. I lived out on the Harrow Rd at Winiam, and went to the school at Winiam. Your right, its as "dry as a dead dingos dongar" at the moment.
FollowupID: 556340

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:04

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:04
Great camps on the Murray at Hatta Kulkyne NP, between Robinvale and Mildura on the Vic side of the river.

You can do day drives to Pink Lakes in the Murray Sunset NP, Lindsay Is.
AnswerID: 290924

Follow Up By: raunchy - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:06

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:06
I second Hattah NP, good spot and plenty of camp spots. Also Big Desert, and if you want a myriad of 4wdfrom easy to v difficult, the Pyrenees is LOTSof fun.
Regards
Ray
FollowupID: 556668

Reply By: 80seriescruiser - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:10

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:10
I was in Little Desert last December. The Wimmera River is dry, only a few pools in certain places. I camped at Horseshoe Bend and drove east to west across Little Desert in a day. Easily do it at leisurely speed in 8-10 hours.

The "eastern block" is the slowest and more difficult to navigate. Its quite sandy but just lower your tyre pressure to 20 odd PSI and you'll be fine in any half decent 4WD - patrol, cruiser etc. Probably be a little difficult to do in a "soft road" or SUV type of vehicle.

The terrain gets less difficult as you move into the "central block" and "western block".

The central and western blocks are more rocky surface and there is fields of "black-boys", don't know their politically correct name - but they look great. Emus a plenty also.

If you allowed a full day to traverse Little Desert you will see it fine but if you want to go on some of the nature walks etc, better add in an extra day.
AnswerID: 290925

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:59
Thanks this is VERY useful! might do we think
FollowupID: 556373

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 17:22

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 17:22
Because you have young children with you and are alone be a little cautious about going too far out in the Big Desert area, it's remote enough that if things went wrong you could have issues.

I suggest you take a look at the Murrayville Track: it runs from Nhill to (wait for it...:) Murrayville and has a number of decent camping spots along it. There is a map called "Victoria's Outback" or similar which would be useful to you.

Also consider camp sites along the Murray River between Swan Hill and Mildura - there are plenty of them but try to choose those sites which are the maximum distance between towns.

Temperature in early April? Depends... if it's hot could touch 40C if it's cold might struggle for early 20s - best guess...? around 30C.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 290937

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:00

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:00
Thank you sounds great!
FollowupID: 556374

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:28

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:28
No problem :)

Send me an e-mail address and I'll give you the GPS co-ordinates of a secret campsite of mine (as long as you promise to keep it secret?) just off the track by an old "tank" - probably won't have any water in it now :( - you may have to put up with a few flies though - the fly population seems to vary...?

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 556384

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:01

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:01
chris1ando at hotmail.com
That would be great thank you! I think we are narrowing it down slowly. We are up our 2nd bottle of wine, kids asleep and maps all over the lounge room floor. We are thinking Grampians, Little desert, up maurrayville track then over to hattah kulkyne NP Broken Hill Home. Any comments? Would that be a good trip after High Country? Or other suggestions?
FollowupID: 556396

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:02

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:02
Hello Carlin,

Everyone has given you lots of good info. I'd just like to agree with all the places mentioned and say that a trip that involved from the High Country to the Grampians, Mt Arapiles on to the Little Desert would be great.

I'd like to put in a suggestion of diverting around the dry lakes Hindmarsh and Albacutya....lots of good campsites around both lakes and at Albacutya there is a fun sand dune drive around the lake.

Wyperfeld NP would be a good day trip from Albacutya and then you could backtrack to the church at Pella, a beautiful old stone church with an historic pipe organ. From there a track leads out to the Milmed Rock Track and to the Murrayville Track. From there you're almost to the Pink Lakes and the Murray Sunset NP...a track leading to Hattah from the Murray Sunset, takes you out near the entrance to the Hattah Kulkyne NP and you can follow the Murray up to Red Cliffs and Mildura.

From there Mungo NP isn't very far and the Darling River roads would take you from Pooncarie, Menindie up to Bourke and then you could head eastward for Brisbane.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy every minute.

Best wishes,

Viv
AnswerID: 290983

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:08

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:08
>the dry lakes Hindmarsh

I remember swimming in the north end of Lake Hindmarsh - near the Pioneers grave :(

>From there a track leads out to the Milmed Rock Track and to the Murrayville Track.

I'm suggesting they don't do the Milmed Rock track because with small children and on their own it's dangerous country if things go wrong.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 556403

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:08

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:08
Thank YOU!!! we are on it!! mmmmmm this is going to imvolve more wine! I need another map!
FollowupID: 556404

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:10

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:10
A girl after my own heart... I'll send you a waypoint via e-mail :)
FollowupID: 556406

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:19

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:19
PS where is this church and organ pipe? As a coincidence I am a music teacher! thanks again. So Mike should we do this chinamans well track to murrayville track? would that be better for us??
FollowupID: 556408

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:58
Carlin,

The church is at Pella, about 10kms from Rainbow which is at the northern end of Lake Hindmarsh.

You can ask at the roadhouse in Rainbow for directions. The lady at the nearest farmhouse to Pella has the key and will open the church for you. The organ is amazing and beautifully cared for and still in good working order.Pella is just an area which was settled in the early days of farming around this part of Victoria. A lot of people of German descent came here to make their lives and carve the farms out of the bush. The church itself is made of local stone and nearby there is actually the brick works where the bricks were made. Again, you can ask for this info at the Rainbow roadhouse.

Viv
FollowupID: 556419

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:13

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:13
Gaday Carlin. Map to buy is "Victoria's Deserts Touring Guide" & best book "Mallee Tracks". Together these give excellent detail on where to go & what to see that may be of interest to you.
My suggestion is to start at Hall Creek. Pick up a map at the local tourist information & spend 2 or 3 days in the Grampians depending on how much you like bush walking. Just a handfull of easy 4x4 tracks in the area. I wouldn't spend a great deal of time in the Little Desert as it's relitively featureless compared to further north. On the Murrayville track there is water available at Broken Bucket & Big Billy Bore both making good camps. Chinaman well track accross to the dry Lake Albacutya is interesting as is the drive around the outlet track to the Wonga Campground. This is National Park and has visitor facilities, walking trails etc for a small fee. The tracks via Lowan up to Eagle are sandy but not too difficult & lead to Pine Plains. Onto Wirrengren Plain you can spend a couple of days exploring the maze of tracks and lookouts including the "Snowdrift" dune. Up to Underbool and over the road into the Sunset Country depending on time you could go as far as Rocket Lake then back down to the unusual Pink Lakes. Cross the road again south another maze of slightly more challenging sandy tracks (not difficult) around White Springs & Big K Lookout. Head West to cactus Bore camping at one of the Gums then over to the Border Track. This is fairly challenging (not unlike a few dunes of the Simpson Desert) but has chicken routes on anything hard. Important to 1st check with SA Parks to ensure open. Unfortunately this track is only one way. (North/South)
Plenty of other options around this area as the Vic Desert map will show. Some of these tracks are getting into the slightly remote/rarely used catogory so the appropiate additional precautions are required when alone.
Temps on average from 8 at night to 28 during the day.
Heading North a camp on the Murray around Hattah is excellent but Mungo............well it's an aquired taste barely worth the trip out there IMHO.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 290985

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:30

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:30
Craig,

Like a lot of things in life, we all have different tastes. I think Mungo is interesting. There's more than just the sand dunes and the Walls of China, there are the remains of the properties, homes, yards, shearing sheds of the earlier settlers. I guess each to his own.

I agree though with all the other places that you mentioned, they're all interesting and you could spend days travelling around and exploring. The map and book mentioned are great too.

Viv
FollowupID: 556411

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:58
where is the best placeto order these maps online? I have found mallee tracks book easily but not the rest
FollowupID: 556418

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:59
Viv if it wasn't for a few old bones turning up it would probably still just be another featureless unproductive sheep farm ;-) For history buffs the Woolshed at Kinchega & around Menindee has far more to offer. I suppose with all the Hype surrounding Mungo I expected more to look at. Maybe a Ranger guided tour may have brought it to life for me.
Cheers Craig.......
FollowupID: 556420

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:04

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:04
Carlin,

This is website and email address on my map

www.cartdeco.com.au/meridian

meridian@cartdeco.com.au

Hope these help

Viv
FollowupID: 556421

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:08

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:08
Thanks web page worked got it! thanks
FollowupID: 556424

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:22

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:22
Carlin why of course right here on EzOz!
Vic Desert map
I couldn't find the Mallee Tracks book on this site but Westprint certainly have it.
cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 556425

Reply By: 80seriescruiser - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:33

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:33
But dont rely on finding water.

Take enough with you and then some! The Big Desert/Wyperfield is very remote. I was in Wyperfield in Dec and was 35C+. If something goes wrong you need to be self sufficient. Lots of water, tell people your plans, have a sat phone if you can.

In Wyperfield the Nat Parks guys monitor a UHF channel for emergencies. UHF 16 rings a bell but there's signs up near the visitor's centre to the park so check there.
AnswerID: 291007

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:02

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:02
Carlin, Nick R above said about the Pyrenees and I have to say it is a favourite that so few people get into. The tracks are close anough to any civilized place and are fun enough but safe too, taken with respect. Camp at Cameron's Track camp site or Waterfalls just 5 minutes from Avoca. Great district and wine industry for light relief to boot. Lovely area.
AnswerID: 291058

Sponsored Links