Repair kit or 2nd spare tyre??

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:00
ThreadID: 5521 Views:2167 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
After recently getting a puncture, in my only spare tyre, in the Flinders I have been thinking about the need for a second spare.
However it seems to me that given the low probability of getting 2 punctures, at least with the sort of driving that I do, that a good repair kit, sleeves, tubes, etc. will be much lighter and probably cheaper and allows the possibility of even more failures to be fixed. (errrg!)
Obviously a ready to go spare is very convenient but I do not expect to have to do a repair very often.
What are others opinions on this?
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:45

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:45
Hi Phil, in my experience the second spare gives me great peace of mind.
It’s the difference of being able to fix the puncture(s) at my leisure after I have set up camp or having to do it on the side of a track in the middle of the day (or night).
Luckily I haven’t had two punctures in the same day, but when I have had one it was nice to know that the second spare was ready to go on if necessary.
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 22897

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:57

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:57
Phil, I'm going for a second spare AND a repair kit, but it very much depends upon your intended area of travel, the quality of your tyres, your nouse, and luck. Tyres can often be shredded beyond repair on some outback tracks. Do that twice, with only a repair kit, and you're stuffed.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22899

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:04
I agree with Alex...
I always carry a spare tyre (casing only).. as well as the regular spare..
Last month when i speared a tyrewall with a branch which was lying underwater in a creek crossing,,, which i was too lazy to check first ( 10 degree day )... The tyre was unrepairable, so i would have been too worried to complete my weekend if i had not had another casing spare....
When i do remote trips i always carry two spares and a casing..
And always a repair kit.............

(You will easily make you own decision to your question when you have exhausted your only spare and you are quite a ways from anywhere)... The worry is terrible...

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:25
For the big trips I carry an extra spare casing and repair kit and tube, given that my tyres are also in good nick.

For the average trips (like Flinders) I don't bother about the spare casing.

If travelling in a group, we often don't carry the second spare, if a spare tyre can be borrowed from another vehicle.
AnswerID: 22907

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 18:10

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 18:10
phil
On recent trip away, my mate had three punctures at once. We didnt notice it till the next morning but one of his front tyres were flat. Okay we put one of his 2 spares on. Got back to camp late afternoon and one of the backs was down.....got out the compressor and pumped it up and awoake next morning to find that and the other rear flat also mmmmm? what has happened ??? upon inspection he had picked up tek screws in all tyres ( one wasnt leaking). Checked mine and trailer and all was okay. He went up to arkaroola to get them fixed and found out that a contractor heading up to beverly uranium mine lost a box of tek screws out the back of his ute after hitting a creek bed a tad too hard... but hell he made good business for the mechanic at Arkaroola... i now take 2 spares Richard
AnswerID: 22915

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 18:30

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 18:30
Hi everyone
On a trip to Innamincka, i picked up a thorn in the main street of Tibbaburra.
On went the spare, and out came a spare tube for the flat tyre. Within an hour, all was ok again, and the now spare tube had a patch curing on it.(a second spare was on the back of the caravan)
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 22916

Reply By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 20:27
I've seen it twice now that somebody has hit the same snag with the front and rear wheel on the same side. Bit of a bummer if you happen to ruin both tyres.Two spares is great if you have the space and a casing is good too but definitely a repair kit.Make sure you get a good repair kit. I've found tubes of vulcanising goo are unreliable in that, in time they may be unusable when you need them. Get a small tin and also get a decent size box of plugs cos some holes will take a heap of plugs and you don't want to be skimping. I know it's not the right thing to do but it can sure get you out of a spot if you're running out of tyres.
AnswerID: 22926

Reply By: Member - John- Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:06

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:06
Phil,
Take BOTH, especially if travellling in remote areas. If a second spare is too heavy, then at least a spare casing and tube.

JohnS
AnswerID: 22969

Reply By: Member - GOPE (SA) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 16:36

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 16:36
Phil
I have two for the 4wd and one more for the caravan. All same stud pattern.So really I have three spares. Can't have too many. Isnt that always the way with 4x4!Only a few more sleeps.
AnswerID: 23007

Sponsored Links