Post EO gathering travel plans - whatchadoin'?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:53
ThreadID: 55233 Views:2756 Replies:6 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I was starting to think about our post EO National Gathering travel plans today after having a chat with a guy who crossed the Simpson a week or so ago. I guess it is early and hot and dry so things can easily change but it made me a bit unsure if we should attempt it given we would be going East to West and have a trailer. Sure we would be with a few others but.....

Wondering what plans people have - guess there will be people heading every whats way. We have never been across the Simpson - we could do a one day trip and then back to Birdsville or a bit of a loop and stay in our tent a night or two - or under the stars - Jen and me and the kids - hmmmm.

Andrew

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nick R (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:58
A & J,
we are still planning the crossing east to west but will be seeking some up to date intel around when we leave of course, maybe consulting "The Oracle" as well. getting to the west side and going around you nearly get back to leigh creek which looks like a pain.

Another crossing which might be feasible could be south to north, maybe warburton track if we can get the trailers up walkers crossing.
As you may remember we will also have a trailer as will a few others.
see you soon,
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 291056

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:43

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:43
Hi Andrew and Jen

Would like to hear what route you finally decide on. I also have a TVan behind my Troopy but would not like to attempt to take it into the desert alone, but if there were a few more vehicles travelling together I would try it. I travel solo most of the time so have to make sure I don't get too badly bogged on a dune. If travelling solo I would leave the TVan in Birdsville.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 291070

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:18

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:18
Hi Dick in Phuket.
Shouldn't be worrying so much about the desert but more about buying a big snorkel. Phuket????

Sounds like there will be quite a bit more discussion.

Andrew
FollowupID: 556654

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:29

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:29
Hi Andrew

I don't even have a Snorkel on my Isuzu in Phuket but I do park it on high ground.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556660

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:47

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:47
Dick, did you make the canopy according to my measurements? Looks alright. Are you coming to Bdv after Innamincka as well?
FollowupID: 556976

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:08

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:08
Hi Ruth - I was looking at the canopy and I can't work out how he would have got that out of your measurements - unless you aren't 37-23-36 anymore.....
FollowupID: 556984

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:19

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:19
Hi Ruth

Good to hear from you. The canopy is similar in size to yours, but is all ripstop canvas over a wire mesh frame for security. If you look in my rig there is a pic showing the inside of it

Was planning to go to Birdsville after Innamincka. Are you likely to be there at that time or will you be in your new home.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556990

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 22:35

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 22:35
Dick, I'm going to be in Bdv about 30th March for a couple of months - and going straight back to Bdv after Innamaincka. Won't be back to finish the new house until about October.
FollowupID: 557021

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:02

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:02
Post Eo plans? As with any other Queenslander with kids I'll be hightailing it back to Brisvegas to get both kid and SWMBO back to school :-(( (term 3 starts on July 14 for us cane toads)

Will be trying to do a trip on the way there instead.
AnswerID: 291094

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:19

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:19
Looks like you Trevor R and I are in the same boat John, have to get the Misses back to start teaching on the !4th. Nice having all school hols off but sometimes can be a real pain in the butt.
Trevor has to get back for Thomas to go back to school.
Anyway we will make the most of it Iam sure.
Cheers Bruce.
FollowupID: 556526

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:13

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:13
Hello Dahlings! Who is that big boy in the photo - nice fish. I'll be coming straight back to Bdv - you could leave the kinder with me and have a romantic interlude in the Simpson, woohoo. Ian is in Quilpie at the mo and coming back to get me around Easter and dumping me and the animals in Bdv then going back to Quilpie to finish the job. If Walkers is open you could come up that way, then across the Warburton, up the K1, camp in the nice gidyea spot before Peopples, then turn right and come into Bdv via the QAA - let the kids conquer Big Red and party in town.
Or, turn left at Poepples and continue west up and down the other tracks. Until I get out there will not know how the SD is travelling but if anything like last year the dunes on the eastern end of Rig were really difficult. Lot depends on how bad the summer winds were in the SD. Remember that by the time you are all travelling there will have been a fair amount of traffic grading the dunes. Lots of options. Be good if we had yabbies too, eh Jen - more wine, more wine.
AnswerID: 291095

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 13:39

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 13:39
I heard that Big Red is a very nice place at night. Up there under the moonlight it is very romantic. Would be great if you could have the kids and keep an eye out for any stray linesman that might come along (as they do you know!!)
Will have go get our maps out and have a bit of a squizz at your suggestions.
Big Kidz
FollowupID: 556542

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:37

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:37
Very very funny! Don't know about the moopnlight - seemed nice in the middle of the day.
Maybe I should have all the kids, Roachies as well and all the parents could go play in the dunes. Kids and I could have midnight feasts and get bellyaches and watch DVD's and read scary books all night!
FollowupID: 556566

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:20

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:20
It was day time eh? Not sure where I got the idea about a moon unless it was.......

Can't wait to see you guys.

Andrew and Jen and Kids.
FollowupID: 556655

Follow Up By: Nick R (VIC) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:24

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:24
A & J, that was another option I was thinking of.....
that said it is still 4 months away, I think i will leave holiday planning until day 2 of the gathering!!!

how are ya ruth?

Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556708

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:56

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:56
Nick, maybe you could leave the kinder with me also whilst you play - maybe the grandparents could come and play with me and all the kids whilst the middle sized kids play in the Desert. It's a real house in Bdv with party patio, TV (!!) and a real bathroom.
Let's see - that's your two, Big Kidz x 3, Raochie x 3 -anymore for the creche?LOL
FollowupID: 556717

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:02

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:02
You know, the more I think about this - maybe it's a good idea - would be fun to have the kids for sleep overs. We could play tennis, football, cricket, go to the museum - DVD's, popcorn, icecream, bakery, scary movies, ghost stories, no sleep. Yeah!
FollowupID: 556720

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:13

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:13
Ruth, the EO Creche idea has already been trialed and found to be a great success - at the Wandin 4WD show last month, our 11 year old lost track of me so went back to the Darkside stand where Lyn, Al & Bonz kept him fed and watered and Bonz rang me to ask whether I was missing a child and did I intend to collect him. We'll book in our 3 (12 months, 7 & 11) to the Bdv creche if your'e taking enrolments :)

To get a feel what the group may be like, this thread from the Pyrenees gathering has quite a few of the EO Kids Klub present (at least NicksR's, the Als, Eric's and ours). Second photo down has them in a running battle with the garden stakes that Bonz contributed to the toy library. Thread 51706

Hope to meet you in July

Adrian
FollowupID: 556758

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:24

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:24
Adrian, the Al's, the Eric's, the Big Kidz are some opf my favourite kids, probably my favouritist!
FollowupID: 556799

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 21:14

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 21:14
Hi Ruth

Why wait until we get back to Birdsville - why you have that huge camper that Ian made and all the kids could have a grand sleepover at Innamincka and then go to your house at Birdsville. I can imagine just how ecstatic Ian must be feeling now with your great suggestions. No wonder you guys have such an energy and a synergy.

Andrew
FollowupID: 556848

Follow Up By: Nick R (VIC) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 22:27

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 22:27
this is coming together nicely Our kids fit in anywhere, they'll be right, how would a fortnight to 3 weeks be???
then we could drop in the oldies for a month or 2, is that ok?

How are ya adrian?

Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556864

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 23:09
Hey, who is promising me caring at a creche? I always reckon the good thing about being a grandparent is being able to give them back when they get the sads.

Ruth, the new transport tried was a balloon in the Yarra Valley yesterday, you should get those too in Bdsvll. Champaigne brekkie to follow.
FollowupID: 557028

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 14:33

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 14:33
JR, you can have an early morning balloon ride in Birdsville during race week every year - with champagne breakfast. Just that at that time of the year some days the wind is gusting about 50 knots most mornings!
Looks like you'll need to give me a hand with the kinder creche after EO gathering.
Being the grandy means that when you go to the birthday party (1st) like I did yesterday you just appear and then you go and don't have to do the cleaning up. Yeah!
FollowupID: 557112

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:30

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:30
Yes....we're another that fall into that category of "mongrels with trailers", who are contemplating crossing the Simmo after the Innaminka "do".

Twould be nice to do it from the southeasterly direction, except that it would mean cutting out my favourite bit: Birdsville!!

So, I'll be watching this thread with interest too, to see what the concensus is. However, as I've said all along (and in defference to the long-standing wishes of Ruth NOT to bugga-up the dunes), I will not be attempting any such crossing if there have not been some preceeding rains which will have settled the sand down and make the crossing less stressful for man, machine and desert alike.
AnswerID: 291147

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:28

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:28
I was not going to wish you Happy Birthday but here you are coming along in this post and you have seduced me so here it is. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I guess that there will be quite a lot more talk about what to do so will have to sit down on the long weekend and have a bit more of a read.

Cheers anyway for this great day.

(This is Andrew, not Jen being seduced).
FollowupID: 556658

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:46

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:46
Roachie, since when did you ever give a fig about how I feel? But thank you anyway for thinking about the dunes. Are you booking your kids in as well?
FollowupID: 556975

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:56

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:56
Andrew....thanks for that....although I must say that my heart started to race at first; when I thought it was Jen who was writing that!!!! hahaha

Ruth,
I have ALWAYS placed great store in your views on the Simpson and trailers etc. My views haven't changed and I still believe that (in the right conditions), a 4x4 + trailer with all 6 tyres at a "proper" pressure, will do less damage than a 4x4 on it's own, but with tyre pressures set too high.....which I believe is the major cause of the scalloped dunes syndrome.

Thanks for the offer about the kids......we'll drop them off at the same time that all the other EO members drop their's off to you..... Don't be afraid to put them to work; we'll even let you have the shackells we use on them.... John might be able to put them to work at his museum and let his dear old horse have a rest on that big carousel thingo..... hahaha
FollowupID: 556979

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 22:39

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 22:39
Roachie, John's dear old horse (Prince) went to the great stable in the sky. Now he uses his fantastic imported mule/s.
FollowupID: 557023

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:58

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:58
we await with bated breath as we are in the same boat

steve aka gg
AnswerID: 291207

Sponsored Links