Heading to the Cape in June 08

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:07
ThreadID: 55266 Views:1639 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading up the east coast of Oz - Sydney to Cape York in June. Never been before and researching for any useful tips.

We have 4WD and offroad camper trailer set up. Plan to visit Thurs Island too. Travelling with a 3yr old so no rough treks.

Interested in must see places, dont bother places, websites to monitor road conditions, etc

Love to hear from anyone who has been up recently although I guess no one is doing it at the moment. Hoping the weather up there settles down a bit.

Any suggestions and tips welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:46
Have you seen Cape York Info. Don't worry too much about the 3yo, you'll cope . Just keep him/her away from any floating logs.
Basically, just go and have a ball :))
AnswerID: 291265

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:49

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:49
PS The mine tour at Weipa is good value...not really into mines but this was fascinating. From there take the shortcut to Bramwell via Batavia. The OTL (southern) is usually much smoother than the bypass road.
FollowupID: 556639

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:17

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:17
we took our 3 year old daughter to the cape with us in 2006, No. 1 suggestion is get a DVD player for in car travel. like said keep your rugrat away from the water, teach him / her about the crocs and also snakes, we saw heaps of snakes up there, most on the road when driving, but also a brown in the seisa caravan park, and a big carpet snake at Gunshot. the brown snake slithered right through the middle of the next campsite, everyone jumping up on chairs and tables to get out of it's way.
check some of the 4wd forums also, plenty of cape trip reports to be found on the net.
AnswerID: 291275

Reply By: Benter - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:56

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:56
Hi Lunny - we are heading to the Cape in June leaving on the 27th - seems to be an endless amount of advice on the Net. I reckon I'm drowning in info at this stage.

Must admit though I'm thinking of purchasing this book CAPE YORK – An Adventurer's Guide - 10th edition - I'm told it is a pretty good book.
AnswerID: 291291

Sponsored Links