Holden Rodeo Lift kits

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:10
ThreadID: 5532 Views:14247 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Vehicle - Rodeo,96 model, manual, dual cab, petrol.

Has anyone done a suspension (and/or) body lift of a mid 90's Rodeo???

What works, what doesn't, how much susp lift can I get?

I found a yank company that does big lifts for their Izuzu range (Calmini is the name of the company, link text) They even make new control arms for the front to correct the angles on really big lifts. Is there someone in Aus that does this sort of work?

TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt M - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:52

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:52
There is a mob in WA that import these kits, they are pretty comprehensive!! I was looking at them but at the time couldnt find anyone to import them for me and wasnt prepared to do it alone.

They are a JEEP, Isuzu and Suzuki custom parts dealer and advertise in the 4x4 mags.

I have also been told that Chaos Engineering in Sydney might also import them.

Have a look at Darlinton Off Road, they also do kits, just not as good as the Calmini Kits.

Goodluck! Matt.
AnswerID: 22992

Reply By: Member - David - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:14

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:14
As far as suspesion lift goes:
You can 'wind up' the front torsion bars to get up to about 40mm of extra height. If the vehicle has had a bit of work and the bars have become slack..I have fitted oversize torsion bars to mine. Shop around for these as I'm told they are made by one company..then painted yellow/white/red and distributed by the various companys. I found Pedders were the best priced.
With the back leaf set up...an extra bottom leaf will give some lift..and keep it there with a load.
Also a heigher profile tyre...but this gives speedo probs..and give too high ratio when rock hopping.
Even though shockers have no impact on ride height..a good set of shocks help a good suspension setup...I've fitted OME.
I'm very happy with my setup, and it can go all the places he b
'big' trucks can go.A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
AnswerID: 22994

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 22:37

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 22:37
i make no claim to the legality or road worthiness of the following modifications. i suggest you obtain advice from your rta, insurance and possibly a structural engineer.
body lift can be done but quite a few problems with lengths of hoses, radiator alignment, tow barand front bumper height as the body shell goes up of the chassis.
suspension lift appears to be the way. been down this path myself. calmini sell a full kit as well as individual parts as you will see from their web site. the full kit will set you back about $2000 aust on a slow boat ( 8 weeks) remember $us, import duties 15% , freight and then gst on the lot. if you go with calmini buy all but the upper control arm in oz (arb opposite lock etc) aust importers charge about the same as doing it yourself.

i think a better option, cheaper, easier and as effective.

rear options. reset the leafs, reset with an extra leaf, new leafs made with oz steel. all of these with longer shackels or the extreme option moving the springs ontop of the axle.

front options. these are all really ride height adjustment increases. winding up the torsion bars will give you a lift, you are limited eventually by wheel alignment problems and lack of down travel.
to gain another 25mm to 30mm after the above you can reposition the ball joint from on top of the control arm to underneath the arm and cut the rubber bump stop in half, doing this pushes the wheel outwards and the torsion bar crank will then actually brink the alignment back to standard.

tyre options. taller tyres increase the ride height. 31x 10.5 r 15 on 7inch rims with standard offset only touch in the rear at extreme spring flex no problems in front. 265-75-16 on 7inch rim with 25mm offset from standard with ball joint move gives 25mm more than 31's no touching after front mud flap trim.

reseting the springs with extra leaf in rear, ball joint and torsion bar crank in front and 265-75-16 tyres will give you 925 mm in front 940 mm in rear ground to wheel arch height.

other problems can arise from these mods depending on 4x4 usage, cv's one of them.

hope you find this helpfull
peter
AnswerID: 23039

Sponsored Links