K&N v Finer Filter & OME v Std Coils

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:16
ThreadID: 5537 Views:2567 Replies:7 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 80 series and have just aquired a full set of 2nd hand OME coils that have done 30,000kms. Currently I have std coils - replaced over 30,000kms ago - I assume the OME ones will be better? Also can they be fitted easily at home by myself? Also the cruiser has a 1HZ and is underpowered and my air filter is up for replacement. I thought i'd replace it with a high flow filter - which one is better - K&N, Finer or others?? Will it help performance?
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:27

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:27
P.S. Does any one know where to buy either the K&N and/or Finer Filter? I live in Brisbane. - THANKS
AnswerID: 22970

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:42

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:42
SupacheaP can get you K&N. Great choice!
FollowupID: 15177

Follow Up By: Goona - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 19:20

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 19:20
Justin,

I had a 1hz 75 series and put a set of extrators on it and a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust on it. There definately was a difference in both economy and power. My wifes brother had exactly the same vechile same year and i used to blow him away in a straight line drag. I now own a GU patrol 4.2 turbo and have recently put a 3 inch mandrel exhaust on it and also had a full tune, timing pump etc and the difference is amazing. I wish i had done it sooner. i am positive the crusier would hav beaten the nissan when it was in standard trim and was actually disapointed with the nissan power when it was first purchased compared to the naturally aspirated cruiser.
FollowupID: 15230

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:46

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:46
K+N are the go. OME superior to original. Easy to change, especially if you have a hoist! Befriend the local garage and sling him $25 to use the hoist for half an hour.
AnswerID: 22972

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:06

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:06
Thanks Desert - do you think I will notice any ride difference by just changing the coils or will suspension upgrade be needed? I got a price from Kmart to change the coils over and they want over $200!! I was considering getting some poly airbags for the rears as my 80 series is a dual cab so maybe they can change the coils in the process for minimal charge?
FollowupID: 15169

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:36

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:36
The coils have to come out to install polyairs anyway, so unless they are pricks there should be no problem.

new Shocks are not required, but are a good idea.

Are the springs LONGER (lifted) over the original ones? if so you will need longer shocks.
FollowupID: 15186

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:49

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:49
Yes Truckster the coils are longer I just found out. Well I suppose i'll need to wait and save some $$$ to buy some shocks before I install the coils - and I wonder if the poly airbags will fit the longer coils? Will the brake cables need extending I wonder??
FollowupID: 15187

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:02

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:02
If your fitting longer firmer springs and shocks, I wouldnt fit polyairs just yet, wait and see. What do you do with the car? Towing?

For longer coils, std poly airs wont fit. Theyare designed for std length springs... You will need some form of spacer to space the bags up to compensate.

EG std springs are X length, so are poly bags.
Longer springs are Y length, so need to make up the difference.

FollowupID: 15190

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:18

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:18
Truckster, on the bi-anual trip to the gulf I tow a 14ft alloy boat and usually 40-50 ctns of amber liquid. Half go on the back seat and the other half in the tray, and will all the other camping and fishing necessities there is a heap of weight behind the back wheels making the steering too light - dangerously too light. It is possible that the OME's may do the trick but I like the idea of the airbags adjustability.
FollowupID: 15193

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:27

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:27
so 2 times a year you have all this stuff onit. The rest of the year if you stiffen it up to match it will ride like a train on the road. It sounds like Polyairs wont be enough in all honesty.

If the front of your car is getting *that* light, I would buy some EXTRA HEAVY DUTY springs and shocks (3 hour job, you can drink a slab while doing it!), and put them in 1 day before the annual trip!
FollowupID: 15196

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:34

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:34
Good idea - thats one option I never considered, but makes alot of sense!
FollowupID: 15199

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 15:14

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 15:14
FWIW you can buy Polyairs designed for a 2" lift for a Nissan, not sure about Tojo, but assume so.

Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 15211

Follow Up By: desert - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 16:58

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 16:58
Justin, it depends on which grade of spring you are talking about. The best method is to get your self a cheap Vernier Caliper, that way you can measure the diameter of the coil spring wire and compare to the standard springs. I'm betting the rears(for example) are 17mm wire diameter, which will raise the car about 50-60mm and firm up the ride. If your load then returns the ride height to the standard position, then you need not worry about getting longer shockers. Trial and error, stick the things in and see if you like it. But please, don't pay some dork $200 to do it for you. I would suggets you put the car in for a service at a reputable 4x4 service man and get him to swap springs as part of the job. Shouldn't cost a lot extra over and above the service.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 15219

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:12

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:12
Foam filters are not the answer to your power problem, they are just easy to clean and can be reused..

Some people will sprout mega HP gains(like extractors and 3in exhausts with 40in outlet on the end), but **IF** ANY its minimal.

I was GIVEN by different people when I first got the GQ 3 different sets of foam filters.. Both main and Precleaner.

Shows you how good they are if people give them away.

There is no cheap way really to honestly increase power on ANY car.
AnswerID: 22985

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:14

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:14
And with the shocks, they maybe WORSE than standard. Depends what rate they are. Rate is the compression rating, so you can get soft med and hard also very hard type.

Very Hard will be good if you tow trailers, adn fill the back up with heaps.

Soft would be good if you wanted to compete in Tuff Truck challange.

All have different jobs to do. You need to find out what yours are.
FollowupID: 15182

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:24

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:24
Truckster, I should of mentioned that the coils are med hard. As for the power issue I am really in need of some extra power and didn't want to go a turbo due to cost and 1HZ strength issues. I was actually thinking of a air filter and exhaust/extractors even if it just gives me a little more power for overtaking on highways. Someone did mention that I could put a blower on and that would help without putting great strain on the motor - any comments?
FollowupID: 15183

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:34

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:34
Anyone who says a blower doesnt put more strain on an engine, needs to see urgent medical advice.

What do you need the extra power for? Towing a trailer?

Look personally, exhaust and extractors $1000, airfilter and carrier $100, its still a good amount of money to outlay if it does nothing, but some cars respond to it better than others.. I suppose I could have been expecting MORE out of mine when I did the extractors and exhaust and airfilters, as some people were claiming MAGIC! But all I got was a Jnr Burger. Certainly not enough to use for overtaking!

Remember they are a big car, and aerodynamic as a parachute... Drive them accordingly. Yes we would all love more neddies (I have turbo nd want more!), but when it boils down to it, its going to cost you $5000 to make it fast, buy a $5000 car. cheaper to run, less problems, and easier to drive around town. Get one of them mobile coffin Excel things, they cost nort to run, and parkin aint a problem!

Turbo No change from $3000, and if you think a Blower is cheaper than that, again seek medical advice (quote I got for GQ was $4400, and recommended engine rebuild - $4000+)! Both put LARGE amounts of strain on a motor. Any power increase is more than normal, is a strain. Some maybe so minimal, that its not a problem though.

Engine swaps, not usually any change from $10k for good rebuilt turbo diesel, of any form. You could go a chev, or Holden V8 for cheap though (buy a wrecked VN commodore for $2000, wreck the rest of the car for parts make your $2000 back), probably around the $2500-5000 mark all up...
FollowupID: 15185

Follow Up By: Paul - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:16

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:16
Truckster, on a different matter, I would like your advice on the previous matter posted on the forum regarding the 4.0L diesel with aftermarket turbo. Hope you can help.
FollowupID: 15192

Follow Up By: Justin - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:28

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:28
Has anyone used or have opinions on the Unifilter 4x4 pre-cleaners that go into the snorkle. I know it is only a pre-cleaner and I assume this could effect the performance as it would create more restrictions????
FollowupID: 15276

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:48

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:48
Justin, Truckster is right about the filter. By itself, you won't notice a thing. To create more power means getting the motor breathing considerably better, and combusting better. Without putting a BIG hole in your budget, a 3" exhaust and maybye a Dtronic is about as much as you can expect to do (do the exhaust first). Together you're looking at about $2,200 to $2,500. Anything else will cost upward of $3,500. And yes, turbos and blowers both put more stress on a motor - the bigger the explosion, the greater the stresses and heat generated. A blower will eliminate the turbo-lag syndrome but will cost considerably more, unless you can find one second-hand. I've heard a Dtronic will reduce the revs at which a turbo cuts in (same effect, and probably similar all-up cost).

I want to drop a supercharged 6.5 litre diesel Chev into my Pathfinder. What do you think?Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22991

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:59

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:59
" I want to drop a supercharged 6.5 litre diesel Chev into my Pathfinder. What do you think?"

Pass me your wallet and keys.... :)~
FollowupID: 15188

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:01

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:01
Rohan, 6.5l Chev - oh yea. It definately makes sense - only exception is the insurance company. I have considered this option but having a modified dual cab 80 series it is hard enough getting insurance as it is. Can you please explain the Dtronic - I thought you needed a turboed 'newer' vehicle. What does it do and are they available for an 80 series?

Thanks all you guys for your replys - they are appreciated!!!!
FollowupID: 15189

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:03

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:03
http://www.dtronic.com/dtronic/dtronic.htm
FollowupID: 15191

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:32

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:32
From reading the Dtronic web site it appears that there is nothing for a 80 series 1HZ - bummer. The story with the performance is: I bought the cruiser with 130kms and drove it to the gulf with a huge load and boat and I was able to achieve up to 140km/hr and it held the hills well. Now it has 160kms and over the last 30kms it has lost power and torque - cant hold 100km/hr on the highway and hills really slow it down. I have replaced all filters (except air), drained my tanks - they were clean, checked my snorkle for obstructions, had the vehicle dyno tested and my pump timing adjusted about 7000kms ago, and about 1000kms ago had the injectors done. The air filter has done 20,000kms - needs replacing and I did change from std tyres & splits to alloy mags and 265/70R16 10,000kms ago (shouldn't of changed performance i don't think?). I WANT MORE POWER AND TORQUE, but as the usual story goes I don't want to compromise engine life and the less money I spend the better????? I think i'll start with air filter then exhaust/extractors.

Again than you all for your replys!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 15197

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:18

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:18
Truckster, if I could afford the Chev, I'd have gone for something a bit more expensive than the Pathfinder (or gone for my preferred option - a daily-driver AND a mean mother of a Patrol/Cruiser/Defender).

One day ... :)Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15203

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:32

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:32
Justin, try removing the air sensor in the intake and cleaning the oxygen sensor.

There was story (letter to the ed) in the current (July) issue of one of the 4x4 mags that claimed this was the cause of a similar problem in Nissan Terrano EFI diesel. Apparently neither Nissan nor a local diesel mechanic knew what it was but this guy worked with oxygen sensors and took a stab at the problem. he reckons after cleaning and reinstalling the sensor, the Terrano had never been more powerfull and responsive.

Could be worth a try if you've exhausted all the usual diesel tune-up tricks.

BTW, you may find there's a Unichip for 1HZ. Try Graeme Cooper Automotive at safari4x4.com.auTalk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15204

Follow Up By: Justin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:39

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:39
Rohan, I will grab a copy of 4x4 monthly and see if it is there and refer to my Workshop manual to find the sensor. I have never seen the sensor you are talking about, because I suppose I have never needed to look for it. Thanks for your input, it's hints like this one they may just identify the problem!!
FollowupID: 15205

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:43

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:43
I just found the "letter". Its on page 227 of 4x4 Monthly, titled "Sensational".Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15207

Reply By: Peter L - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 19:00

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 19:00
Justin, Unichips and D-tronics don't work too well on engines with MECHANICAL injection pumps (which is what the 1HZ has). I'm not aware that they have an oxygen sensor either (not being electronic injection) but they DO have an altitude sensor to prevent overfueling.

As for the suspension issues please be aware that nothing you do will increase the weight on the front wheels when the load is behind the rear axle. Stronger rear springs will, however, prevent the rear from drooping and thus keep the vehicle more level. The proper solution is to keep the weight forward of the rear axle (but I appreciate the difficulties with your particular vehicle)

If you do change rear springs please ensure that you increase the length of the brake proportion valve rod otherwise you will suffer from reduced rear braking..
AnswerID: 23014

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 19:20

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 19:20
Hi Justin
The ome springs are easy to swap if you have a trolley jack and two jack stands. A friend has the polyairs with h/d springs. He started with polyairs and then went the springs aswell.GC is that the springs make a mega difference to sway, ride and offroadability. Try the springs first, the shox might be aftermarket on it now anyway, in which case they will be a bit longer than std ones. The only suggestion for more power without a turbo is a snorkel with air ram head. Paper element will flow better than foam, but foam will trap more dirt than paper. The factory Toyota paper filters are washable aswell (did you know) extracters can be bought for the 1hz aswell, but to be honest, they are no race motor, and the best power up option i know of for a 1hz is to replace it with a 1hdft factory multivalve turbo motor out of a jap 80 (roughly 7k) bolts straight in and the 1hz is then worth 3k to resell.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 23017

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 21:44

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 21:44
Justin
Email this dude as he has a K/N for sale in Sydney with cleaning kit.
stefan.nantz@veritas.com
He is on the landcruiser site at www.lcool.orgwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 15246

Reply By: Member - Graham - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:17

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:17
Justin, I've tried different filters and found no difference in fuel usage or power, but went for the foam and carry spare sleeves more convienient really.

Coils is a personal preference, I opted for very hard , I see it as on road I'm in the car generally for an hour or so but on trips and off road generally loaded up and your in it for hours. But it's a compromise somewhere.

Underpowered: Hmm My 1st 80 went very well, put extractors on, did sod all.
My 2nd one was gutless , extractors helped but nothing to newsflash about.
Seriously consided the hairdrier option. Muffler pooed 1st. On talking to the bloke
he suggested replace the exhaust system. the extractors were of the better ones so he added a lukey system to that .it's just a 2.5" system, improvement noticed by 1st gearchange, enough so that the hairdrier option was only a thought. Plus the noise level of before has decreased and economy better by 5% . Still not like a turbo but much easier to live with and overtaking more comfortable.
AnswerID: 23076

Sponsored Links