melbourne to broome via tamworth

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:51
ThreadID: 55393 Views:2322 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can any give me their thoughts on the most interesting and safest way to get to Broome via Tamworth, Longreach etc. This will be our first time in this direction and am getting confused as to which way to go, Have just changed over from a Jayco Outback Eagle to an offroad (stronger than the Jayco) pop top. Had thoughts about Tanami, but not too sure Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 13:45

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 13:45
Where's your sense of adventure. What's so confusiing. Get a map and choose a route.Check for townships and/or the ability to re-fuel, etc.

I suppose the safest would be any route made up of bitumen roads.

I must be risking a bit by just winging it and getting the map and choose the route I want to take. I usually based on the capabilities of my tow vehicle, van, time of the year and climatic effects (rain or extreme heat), fuel stops and time that I have to get to a destination.

If you don't know your own, your vehicle or vans capabilties, then do so before taking on such a large trip.

Give it a go and live on the edge. The Tanami is just a dirt highway. You'll be surprised how easy some of these roads are to transit with a reasonable amount of preparation and sense of adventure.
AnswerID: 291911

Reply By: mum - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 13:48

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 13:48
Thanks, I'm the weak link in this partnership not as adventerous as my hubby
AnswerID: 291912

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:16

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:16
What a great opportunity to get out and really see some country! People on here will be able to give you better advice if you tell us how long you have to make the trip and what time of the year you plan to go. Also what type of vehicle are you in?
If you really want to, you can pretty much stay on the bitumen all the way if you go from Longreach, Camooweal, across the Barkly Highway to the Stuart Highway, north to Katherine, then west across to Kununurra via the Victoria Hway, then across to Broome on the Great Northern Highway. If you are new to this type of country you will enjoy the trip. But if you have time you will enjoy it even more by getting off the bitumen a bit, even if it is just for short side trips (eg up to Lawn Hill NP from Camooweal or into the Bungle Bungle NP - 4wd - in the Kimberely).

Have a great time - there are plenty of us "Mums" out there. Just do it and you will find that your confidence grows with your enjoyment. Use the wealth of info and support available on this site to do some research to find out the really great things to see.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 291914

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:35

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:35
One of the good things about my SWMBO is that she just relies on me to do most of the trip planning and research. She is quite happy to get in the car and see what happens next and where we end up.

For the next trip from the Gold Coast to Adelaide I've just told her we're going via Bourke following the Darling River to Wilcannia and bush camping. All she cares about is if we'll be passing through Broken Hill to visit a friend!

I guess she assumes I've done all the right analysis and appreciation of the route.
FollowupID: 557269

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:41
Wizard, I reckon that if two people are doing a trip then two people might as well take responsibility for it - including the planning, the packing and the actual driving, setting up camp etc. There is even a safety consideration in having a backup driver/navigator etc should - heaven forbid - something unpleasant happen to a bullet proof alpha male!

The real upside is that both get to share the enjoymentof the trip.

I seriously doubt that many of us SWMBOs who actually go on trips want to be just a passenger. There is too much fun to be had at all stages from trip planning right through to enjoying the photos and the memories.

But sometimes I think there might be a bit of a (male) attitude along the lines that its easier to make plans if only one person is involved - and sometimes we SWMBOs are too content to just sit back and go along :-)). Upshot though is that SWMBO is not really fully involved in the trip so doesnt enjoy it as much, not too keen on the next trip and so the vicious cycle rolls on.

Cheers, from a fully involved SWMBO (Should I get my significant other to vet this before sending-- no way!!)

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 557288

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:34

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:34
Val,

I assume it is Val due to the underlying anti-chauvenist tone I can detect. But not every travelling relationship should be judged by how you do things.

Thanks all the same but we're happy doing it our way. Just happy my wife isn't a control freak and leaves it to me. It also goes to show how much she must trust my judgement and planning, which hasn't failed us yet.

She hasn't mentioned her lack of worth because I plan the trips. Nor does she enjoy the trips any less.

I think it interesting how you think that you can comment on ALL partners and to what level they should get involved.

My partner sticks to her jobs and I do mine and it has worked just fine for over 10 years.

Hey, I even let her drive with the van on sometimes as well, how generous of me.

You still like us to open doors and pull the chair out now and again don't you.....
FollowupID: 557417

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:16

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:16
In 2005 we went Boulia through Plenty to Alice then up the Tanami to do the Canning . Good run -mostly Gravel with some soft parts and corrugations.Generally wide open road with good visibilty as long as you pull well off to let the on coming traffis go by. plenty of camp spots but rather open to the wind. The road conditions change but you could contact Boulia Shire Council to see what road is like
AnswerID: 291915

Reply By: jung - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:49

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:49
hi the tanami is not such a bad road corrugated but firm except when its raining and flooded ive done it in the wet and dry countless times. most people come unstuck from carrying rediculus amounts of weight that thier vehicle cant carry a great part of the country
AnswerID: 291924

Reply By: wendys - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:08

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:08
Safest way is to stay on bitumen: Mt Isa, Three Ways, Katherine, Kununurra, Broome. Assuming you are towing the offroad poptop with some sort of 4WD (I am thinking higher clearance, tougher tyres etc, rather than needing the 4WD bit) suggest the following for consideration. Places with great things to see/do are *. This would be much more interesting than the bitumen way. Longreach, Winton *,Boulia, Gemtree*, Devils Marbles*, Dunmarra, Top Springs, Jasper Gorge, Keep River NP*, Kununurra, Bungles (no van), Gibb River Rd***. In 2007, the Tanami was very corrugated & made much worse by morons who drove on it during the rains in late June/early July.
AnswerID: 292506

Reply By: mum - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:16

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:16
thank you for all the info from everyone - Wendy what you have suggested sounds great and I will look at going this way thanks again
AnswerID: 292508

Sponsored Links