Innaminka/coongie lakes

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 21:13
ThreadID: 5549 Views:2372 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day. Am planning trip to Innaminka mid october;have the waterlevels in the cooper and coongie lakes returned to normal. Secondly are there any terrors in the track to coongie lakes for inexperienced 4wdrivers.Thirdly is there any need to adjust tyre pressures on strezleki track. Cheers Chadturnin dreams
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 21:52

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 21:52
Can i come too...Bugger
Ranger station at Innamincka will be the people to ring. No tyre adjustment necessary on the Stressy, keep the speed down as there is alot of speed related accidents out that way. Here in the east, a wash out is a washout-they have blowouts over there that your car can disappear in just over the crest of the hills, so be warned, it is magic, but be careful.
Congie lakes road will require letting down of tyres when at the lake proper(and a desert pass) magic place see if you can find the swimming spot (at the bottom of the big dune descent immediately t/left and into the trees)
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 23032

Reply By: chad.vic - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 23:11

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 23:11
Thanks Dozer.Sounds like you have been there and really enjoyed it .Cheers Chadturnin dreams
AnswerID: 23042

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 19:22
Mmmmmmmmm my son caught his first real fish on the Cooper...3 lb perch (yellowbelly)
Didnt get to stay as long as we wished... under those widdowmakers on the town common, with buggies breeding in them and crows fighting over territory, not to mention the dingos at night that were patrolling.
Take a crab pot aswell....Mmmmm crawchies
We started our trip at Menindee, where Bourke and Wills started their epic voyoage...will have to get back there again....
Enjoywheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 16463

Reply By: Ruth - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 13:10

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 13:10
Mid-October the weather is fairly hot out here and the duststorm winds can be blowing. At the present time the water in Coongie has dropped about 1 foot and looks brilliant. Fishing is good in the Cooper at Innamincka at the moment. Diamantina is rising in Birdsville due to heavy storms around Winton and Boulia a month ago - maybe the yabbies will return. Water is about 1 foot over the "old" causeway in Birdsville. Fishing has been good in the Diamantina as well. Yes there can be terrors in the track to Coongie, especially if the sand storm winds have been doing their thing in September - get sand drifts. The Track right now (mid-June) is o.k. I'd be going earlier than mid-October though. Enjoy it whenever you go.
AnswerID: 23059

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:16

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:16
Hi Ruth. Is this information from a recent trip or are you a "local"? We're aiming to do the BH to CC trip in the first 2 weeks of October and any/all info is helpful. The mid-30s temps hasn't scared off my wife and kids, but sand storms and hordes of flies might.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15287

Follow Up By: Ruth - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:49

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:49
I live out here, I didn't say anything about mid-30's sometimes it is much higher, expecially if there hasn't been any rain. The flies only come after rain - normally out here we don't have them, except after rain. They've nearly all gone again now. Truly the best time to visit the Deserts is between May, June, July - I am always amazed that southerners come out here in that October holiday (I'm just getting ready to go to the beach!) Temperature here today was 3 min and 18 max - beautiful sunny day, very light breeze - but cold. I love it here anytime of the year but people not used to the outside elements find it uncomfortable, especially the children. Happy travelling no matter where.
FollowupID: 15306

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 16:51

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 16:51
Thanks Ruth. Someone else advised me of the mid-30s in October (they did warn it could get much higher).

Unfortunatley , at the moment, we are limited to school holiday travel which means April, July and October. I may change our plans and go to Mungo NP and Menindee in October. We'll see.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15341

Reply By: Kevin - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 13:28

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 13:28
When I travel on any of those roads out there (with exception of bitumen) I run at 80% presure of my normal road inflation just to give the tyre some give and avoid puncture. And of course SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!! We were at Coongie lakes last October absolutely spectacular, If you can spend a couple of days there you won't regret it!
AnswerID: 23060

Follow Up By: Ruth - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:55

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:55
Kevin this advice on tyre pressure is really good - every day I see vehicles arriving who have experienced one to several punctures because they insist on running their tyres on a higher pressure than they would normally on the black road because they've been told it will give them an easier ride. And if only people would reduce (sometimes down as far as 12 - 14) in the Simpson Desert then the dunes would not be so cut up and they would have had a more relaxed and stress-free trip across that beautiful Desert. If only. I like the slow down as well. Well said.
FollowupID: 15307

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 16:06

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 16:06
Chad did the desert thing last year. Had tyres at 25psi no flats don't run hway pressure as you will slide on corners & get flats. locals run at 22psi . If you are going via Cameron Corner go via Bolards Lagoon & Bore track much better scenery & no traffic.
ps small charge at Bollards to use station track i think $20 per carRegards Bob
27th June Gulf trip
AnswerID: 23070

Reply By: lindsay - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:15

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:15
Ruth, Question , you seem to know the area. We are off to Innam. Walkers xing ,B.ville, inside track to the Warburton track. Arrive B.ville 2nd July.
The Inside track is currently closed. I have been told that it will be open by that time. National Parks cannot tell me. Could you add any of your knowledge to the situation. Thanks in advance.
AnswerID: 23126

Reply By: chad.vic - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 10:47

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 10:47
Thanks to all for your information and tips. Unfortunately hols are sept or oct try to avoid school hols so oct it is. Also as we live in Ballarat we have enough minus 3 mornings,wife would not be impressed if I took her 1500 km for more of them.Temps 35-45 ok but sandstorms are a concern. Really looking forward to trip. Thanks again. Cheers Chad.
AnswerID: 23134

Follow Up By: Ruth - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:59

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:59
OCtober is school holidays!
FollowupID: 15857

Reply By: chad.vic - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 19:59

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 19:59
Not the latter half Chadturnin dreams
AnswerID: 24417

Sponsored Links