Fraser Island

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 14:36
ThreadID: 5558 Views:2161 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I have an uexpected week off from work so I was thinking about going to Fraser (never Been) but the week I have free is in the July School Holidays. How busy does the island get during holiday period? Is it worth going or should I go somewhere else? I don't fancy guy rope to guy rope camping, I like my space and privacy.

Cheers
Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kevin - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:10

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:10
G'Day Ben,

It can get very crowded during school holidays, where are driving from? there will be much less crowded spots depending where you are coming from.
AnswerID: 23065

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:11

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:11
Ben, do a search on "Fraser" in the archives. We're going up for the July school hols and I've already asked the question. Fraser shouldn't be too bad in July, being the winter holidays.

We'll be "bush" camping (well, beach camping actually) as we like our space too.

Also, visit the Overlander forum and have a look in the "Travel" area. There are some "trip reports" there that provide some useful info.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 23066

Reply By: petprass - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:43

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:43
Ben,

We have been on the island quite a few times and found that Sept/Oct school holidays and Christmas periods are usually the busiest.

July should be ok even during school holidays, but if you want a good spot to camp on the beach, get on the island early on a Saturday morning. Most people leave on Saturdays so you can cruise along the beach looking for a good sheltered spot.

Camping on the eastern beach behind a sand dune is fantastic - if you pick a good spot say near the Maheno wreck, you will not hear or see anyone at night.
Just yourselves andthe sound of the sea.

Peter
AnswerID: 23082

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:56

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:56
Hey you stoled my camp spot!
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 15303

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:06

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:06
Ben. Although Fraser Island is a popular place it is very big and at this time of the year you shouldn't have any trouble getting a good campsite. Go north to Gympie, look for the signs and turn east to Rainbow Beach. Just as you come into Rainbow Beach township, look on the right for the ranger station where you can get your permit to traverse and your camping permit (they will cost you). If the station is closed, continue on and get your permit off the rangers on the island. Fuel up and turn north towards Inskip Point which is where I will be camped and where you catch the barge/s. Can't tell you the cost as the price fluctuates constantly. Make sure you have a low tide as the bottom of the island is almost impassable at high tide. The island is big so allow plenty of tide and time to get places. We always camp on the beach near Happy Valley as it is close to shops, fuel and fresh water and central to most of the island. There is also a private inland camp ground near the Maheno wreck and then there is national Park administered camp grounds at Lake McKenzie. Beach camping is the least crowded by far but you have to be self-sufficient and when travelling on the inland tracks watch out for the tour buses that you only meet on blind corners. You can do all your research and booking on the net and I'm sure you'll find your perfect camping spot. P.S There's no need to book the barge. You just pull up on the beach and wait for them to come to you from the other side or if you're lucky they will be sitting there waiting for a customer. Good luck and happy holidaying.
AnswerID: 23103

Reply By: Jack - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:00

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:00
Hi Ben:

Good choice!! If it is busy I think you will only notice that on the beach run, and some tracks. Plenty of room to camp, both along the beach and in some excellent camp grounds.

If it is your first trip. let me suggest you grab a Hema map. On my last trip I also had a loan of an excellent book called "Fraser Island, the Essential Visitors Guide", which was brilliant. It may be worth considering. I go to Fraser at least once a year, but this book showed me some new places.

Drive carefully and watchfully .. I continue to be stunned at some people's stupidity ... as evidenced recently with a group of backpackers who rolled their (hired) troopie doing doughnuts on the beach.

Have fun .. there is no better place on this earth in my opinion.

Jack
AnswerID: 23120

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 16:32

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 16:32
BenT, unless you want to ruin your holiday stay away from Cathedral Beach resort as the owner ruined my Fraser Is sojourn

Theres heaps of nice places there where you can actually get looked after AND treated like a human being not an annoyanceSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 23156

Follow Up By: petprass - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:38

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:38
Bonz,

We have stayed at Cathedral Beach Resort a couple of times and did not have any issues with the owner - apart from a gruff demeaner.

What was your experience?

Peter
FollowupID: 15384

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:26

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:26
Gruff, ripped us off, mean, unprofessional, rude where should I stop? We had a emergency at home that she managed to trun into a major drama with her outstanding handling of the whole affair. Anyways I hear she is selling up so maybe there will be someone who will be happy to see you come stay.

The camp ground are great, the owner is the hitch.So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 15395

Reply By: Member - Paul - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:32

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:32
We were there 3 weeks ago and were going to stay there a few nights - her attitude has not improved - we left!!
AnswerID: 23264

Sponsored Links